• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I wear a glove?

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
Some guy told me that if you don't wear a glove, you are holding your club too tight.

I only use a glove if it's rained and my hands and grips are wet.

Does your club fly out of your hand if you don't have a glove on?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I golfed for a while without a glove....now that i have worn one i wont go back to not wearing one. The control gain is immense.

xman1112

May 8, 2009
I tried to hit some shots at the range without a glove on, just to see what it felt like; I think I had just read an article on Fred Couples or something. I'm glad I didn't try it on the course. I will never hit full shots without a glove, EVER! Like eclark says the control is amazing. And yes, there is potential for your club to fly out of your hand.

The only time I don't wear a glove is for shots right around the green, chipping and pitching, to allow better feel...and putting. For sand shots I will wear it since most sand shots require really holding onto the club...at least for me.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I go gloveless. My left hand is like sandpaper... Seems like I don't get as much feel on iron shots or wedge shots with a glove on.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Well, Michael Jackson did....:D

Like xman, I don't play without one on full shots, but will chip/putt without one.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
I don't think I could play without one. I don't take mine off until the round is over.

The only thing I don't like is the tan arms with a glowing white left hand.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I wear one for everything except putting and delicate chip shots.

But the white hand does $uck. I had a guy in a store ask me what my handicap was. After I gave him a puzzled look, he held up his white hand and pointed to mine, :laugh:

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
The white hand is so funny. Especially the afternoon after the round when your arms are still dark.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I go gloveless. My left hand is like sandpaper... Seems like I don't get as much feel on iron shots or wedge shots with a glove on.

I wear one for everything except putting and delicate chip shots.
I take mine off inside inside 60 yards for putting, chipping and pitching. My hands would be bleeding with cord grips. I tried it once or twice and just made me think more about easing the pain and less about focussing on the shot.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
No glove here, and no problems with it slipping. How slippery are your grips, guys?

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I take mine off inside inside 60 yards for putting, chipping and pitching. My hands would be bleeding with cord grips. I tried it once or twice and just made me think more about easing the pain and less about focussing on the shot.

I play Lamkin Tour Black Cords on my irons. ;) Very rough cord compared to Tour Velvet Cords.

xman1112

May 8, 2009
I use Golf Pride standard Tour Velvet grips and have them regripped before every season.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
No glove for me. Much better feel and no problems with the club slipping at all. Played with one for several years, will never play with one again.​

OP
D

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
I don't know how you gain control, seems to me you have less feel with a glove. And what about the tip hanging off the tip of your fingers.

🔥 Latest posts