• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Should I wear a glove?

retexan599

Apr 20, 2009
I am somewhat of an oddity in that I wear a glove on both hands for all full swing shots. My reason is the arthritis in my hands and wearing the gloves helps minimize the transmission of vibration into my hands. I also have graphite shafts for the same reason. I do remove both gloves at the point when I need to chip and putt because it feels more in control. Removing the gloves frequently therefore also exposes both of my hands to the sun equally, and that minimizes the 'white-hand' issue. I also apply sunscreen to both arms before playing in our Houston sun, so over time the hands look about the same as the arms. It is rather cumbersome to remove two gloves before chipping and then put them back on at the next hole, but my arthritis demands it. Btw, my oversized grips (newly installed this spring) have reduced the arthritis soreness considerably. You gotta do what you gotta do....

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I would prefer to play gloveless

BUT MY MEMORY WILL NOT PERMIT IT.

I have taken to making my glove a notepad reminding of my swing thoughts. Just got tired of writing a encyclopedia on my wrist. Figured if it works for NFL quarterbacks it would work for me.

GoHuskers

Jun 13, 2009
I wear a glove for the control. The only reason I wouldn't wear a glove is because I don't like having a super white left hand.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I wish I could find gloves that fit properly. Large, medium, and small don't fit all.
Footjoy makes them in mid sizes such as Med-Large, etc. Also did not know if you were aware but all make them in reg and Cadet, Cadet being for smaller fingers.

I am somewhat of an oddity in that I wear a glove on both hands for all full swing shots. My reason is the arthritis in my hands and wearing the gloves helps minimize the transmission of vibration into my hands. I also have graphite shafts for the same reason. I do remove both gloves at the point when I need to chip and putt because it feels more in control. Removing the gloves frequently therefore also exposes both of my hands to the sun equally, and that minimizes the 'white-hand' issue. I also apply sunscreen to both arms before playing in our Houston sun, so over time the hands look about the same as the arms. It is rather cumbersome to remove two gloves before chipping and then put them back on at the next hole, but my arthritis demands it. Btw, my oversized grips (newly installed this spring) have reduced the arthritis soreness considerably. You gotta do what you gotta do....

Not sure if this would help or were aware, but the "Bionic Glove" was designed by a hand surgeon and was found to be beneficial for people with Arthritis. While in general it is not confirming to the USGA for improving the grip, they did sanction it for players with Arthritis.
http://www.bionicgloves.com/lib/pdf/releases//release-usga-20060126.pdf
They originally just had one model, but they now have several. The Silver Series specifically designed for players with Arthritis, and come in a pair.
Bionic Gloves | Men's Silver Series Golf Gloves
They sell these in many golf and sporting good stores as well, so you could try them on and see. Never personally used one, but have heard good things. May help???

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Some guy told me that if you don't wear a glove, you are holding your club too tight.

I only use a glove if it's rained and my hands and grips are wet.

Does your club fly out of your hand if you don't have a glove on?

I think it's personal preference, but I know my college coach hated that I didn't wear one. I use an interlock grip and I can promise you I have actually tried to throw my club by getting my grip too loose....couldn't do it. My grip pressure is probably a 3 on a 10 scale and while I do have a pair a rain gloves, one right and one left, that I wear if it's raining, my grip pressure is the same and I can't tell one bit of difference in my shots. I was only made aware that there are specialty 'rain gloves' maybe 7 years ago and they are quite amazing.....the wetter it gets the tackier they become.

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
In Europe we overcome the "white hand effect" by wearing removable gloves. Simply unlock the velcro, one sharp tug and hey presto! No more pale left hand.

However, be sure to remember to put the glove back on BEFORE you hit your next shot or it's no more silky skin for you.

It can be too much for some but once you get into a routine it's the money.

xman1112

May 8, 2009
I think it's personal preference, but I know my college coach hated that I didn't wear one. I use an interlock grip and I can promise you I have actually tried to throw my club by getting my grip too loose....couldn't do it.

I definitely believe it's harder to 'lose' your club with the interlock grip; I use overlap and it's definitely easier. I've tried interlock, I just like overlap better...

retexan599

Apr 20, 2009
Not sure if this would help or were aware, but the "Bionic Glove" was designed by a hand surgeon and was found to be beneficial for people with Arthritis. While in general it is not confirming to the USGA for improving the grip, they did sanction it for players with Arthritis.
http://www.bionicgloves.com/lib/pdf/releases//release-usga-20060126.pdf
They originally just had one model, but they now have several. The Silver Series specifically designed for players with Arthritis, and come in a pair.
Bionic Gloves | Men's Silver Series Golf Gloves
They sell these in many golf and sporting good stores as well, so you could try them on and see. Never personally used one, but have heard good things. May help???

Thank you for the bionic glove reference; I will definitely look into these gloves. I have recently gone to oversized grips which are also helping, but these gloves may be worth investigating.

OP
D

daddymack

Mar 27, 2005
Played a round yesterday in plus 90 degree heat. It got really tough hanging on to that club. I better start packing a glove just in case.

I don't have the white hand problem because I don't wear a glove but I do wear a sweet pair of Crocs golf shoes (luv em). I noticed getting out of the shower this morning that my feet looked like a leopard. I didnt wear socks and the sun did a number through those holes.

mediaguru

Feb 13, 2005
No glove for me. If it is raining hard and the grips are slippery I'll wear one. If it is winter golf here in Salt Lake, I'll wear two winter gloves to keep my hands warm but I really don't like the feel.

🔥 Latest posts