• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shoulder injury. (is there a Doctor in the house?)

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Here's the deal...

As you know I just started playing last year.
About midway through the season I noticed I was starting to have some problems with my right shoulder.

If I reach back and stretch with my arms bent at the elbows,
I get a sheering pain in my right shoulder.
I also have lost some mobility.

If I put both my hands, thumbs up, behind my back, I can barely reach the center of my back with my right hand,
but I can reach my left shoulder blade with my left hand.

This may sound a little goofy but,
I sleep on my right side with my right arm extended under my pillow.
More often than not I wake up with severe pain in my right shoulder so much so that I literately can't move and have to pull my right arm over with my left hand.
(I told ya it would sound goofy!!!):prop:

Also I'm finding that the right side of my neck is starting to get stiff a little.

The range was closed yesterday so the manager told me to just go out and play a few holes.
I played 9.
My first swing with the driver hurt.
After that I was ok.
(by the way, I still suck!!!)

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
Is it taking up golf that has caused this,
or am I just gettin' old???
(turned 55 Friday.)

The obvious answer is to go see a doctor, I know.
I was just curious if this could be a common injury amoung golfers.

Sorry that this is soooo long,
thanks.:shocked:

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
Well I'm only 29 but I sleep the way you described sometimes and it always ends up causing pain in my shoulder. If you sleep like that consistently, that could be the cause or at least a big contributor... I had shredded both of my shoulders playing basketball in high school and figured it was from that but it was sleeping with my arm under the damn pillow...

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Well I'm only 29 but I sleep the way you described sometimes and it always ends up causing pain in my shoulder. If you sleep like that consistently, that could be the cause or at least a big contributor... I had shredded both of my shoulders playing basketball in high school and figured it was from that but it was sleeping with my arm under the damn pillow...

One thing to try is those comfort foam pillows, the ones with the curve in 'em. Tried one a while back and don't sleep with my arm twisted up anymore.
Thanks, Sean.
I also should've mentioned that I've been a truck driver for about 34 years now.
Obviously my right arm is my shifting arm.
Maybe I'm just plain wore out!!!!:laugh:

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
The obvious answer is to go see a doctor, I know.

Dude, sounds more like repetitive stress from being a truck driver (and sitting in the same position for hours...wait I meant years) than golf. See the doc, who'll probably refer you to a physical therapist, who'll work you out for a few weeks and then give you a stretching/exercise regimen to follow.

As always, the sooner you nail down what it is, the better.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Could be from driving a lot like Farquod said. I get this too from sleeping in a bad position. Quite a few times I've woken up and thought I'd dislocated my shoulder. Get it checked out though if it continues or has been for a while, you don't want to damage something that's easily remedied now.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Also when I go 10hrs. behind the wheel my whole body takes a beating. I tend to drive left arm only and the right shoulder gets slouched and stiff on that side. I don't shift as much with only 6gears and 1st being mostly useless.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
BOTH. As you get older you get more sensitive in regard to how you position yourself in your sleep. So change that habit. :D

We've got a "vet" in here who maybe could help you... :D :D :D

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I tore something in my shoulder last summer sliding into first base playing softball. It hurt to lift my arm vertically over my head and after awhile it started to get better but when I sleep on it wrong it will still hurt. I’m sure I will have arthritis in that shoulder when I get older. Go to webmd.com . and do a search for shoulder pain or rotator cuff strain you will find a lot of information.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
You could probably go to a doctor and physical therapists and get some rehab treatments to help strengthen the shoulder.

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
Thanks, Sean.
I also should've mentioned that I've been a truck driver for about 34 years now.
Obviously my right arm is my shifting arm.
Maybe I'm just plain wore out!!!!:laugh:

Hey, I'm a driver as well. Coming up on 12 years now. I run in to the same problem as Ezra if I have a truck with no arm rest, my right arm and shoulder get all dead on me, etc and my left arm get's tired from being held over the wheel for so long!

Man, we gotta get easier jobs :D Plus, my hours don't let me get to the range during the week, let alone play a round.

- Sean

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Greydog, it sounds like bicepital tendonitis. I had it last year, and it is golf related. Mine lasted 6 months.

Treatment: don't hit off of range mats, don't hit so many full swings, take lots of your favorite NSAIDs, find a comfortable sleep position, and wait for it to go away.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Greydog, it sounds like bicepital tendonitis. I had it last year, and it is golf related. Mine lasted 6 months.

Aw, c'mon doc. I thought the bicepital tendonitis was from a more self-satisfying activity.....:laugh:

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Aw, c'mon doc. I thought the bicepital tendonitis was from a more self-satisfying activity.....:laugh:

Nah,
It's my shoulder that hurts,
my wrist feels fine!!!!!:biglol:

OP
Greydawg

Greydawg

King Of All Hackers!!!
Dec 15, 2006
Siberian,
Watsa' NSAID????:confused:

Sean,
I feel your pain, brother...:(
I wouldn't drive a truck without an armrest!!!

These replies are a little late in coming but I don't usually get on the 'puter until the weekend.
Thanks to all that replied!
I appreciate all your advice!

🔥 Latest posts