• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shout Out to Lyle -- Acer XP905 Pro Irons

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States
Can ya give us a topline shot of the 5 iron?

I had a set of the older XP905 Tours. They had the forged face welded onto the cast head and they would rust where the face was welded in the cavity. Hopefully these ar 1 piece cast. I just sold off the last of my 6 sets of backups and I think these things are BEAUTIFUL!!! May have to build a set. Now to find me some Rifles or PX cheap.

Damn YOU!!!:killersmiley:

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Still playing mine too. Well entrenched into my bag. Really good ball striking feedback---good forgiveness--and they look good at address. A quality product at a great price.

The ho in me wants to see what mojo their new irons have.;)

Sweet. I like positive reviews. I would've spent the extra $8 and gone with the XK Pros, but they're so damn ugly. I know it's only a minor cosmetic change, but something about those teeth on the cavity just totally transforms the look from nice to cheap in my eyes. I'm probably just a weirdo -- maybe they don't look bad to everyone else. I just knew if I carried a club that I thought was ugly my confidence in it would be shot, so I stuck with the purdy 905 Pros.

I really wish I could've afforded those Dynacraft Prophet CNC Forged heads, though. Those things are downright beautiful. I want to buy a set and just sit them on the shelf so I can look at them every now and then. I'm not sure I'd be willing to hit balls for fear of scratching them up.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Brandon...Landon, nice to meet you. I had the Prophet CNC Forged. Nice clubs. I can't see the justification in the price difference and in real life they aren't as georgeous as these, take my word for it.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I still own every set I have played though LOL. And given enough time, all may get a return to glory.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Brandon...Landon, nice to meet you. I had the Prophet CNC Forged. Nice clubs. I can't see the justification in the price difference and in real life they aren't as georgeous as these, take my word for it.

Good to know - now I can stop lusting after them. Now I just need someone to tell me the maltby mcc and mtf heads are ugly so I don't buy those, either.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Good to know - now I can stop lusting after them. Now I just need someone to tell me the maltby mcc and mtf heads are ugly so I don't buy those, either.

Can't talk about the MTF's, but I had a combo set of MCC/MMB's with Rifles and they were beautiful !

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
Sweet. I like positive reviews. I would've spent the extra $8 and gone with the XK Pros, but they're so damn ugly. I know it's only a minor cosmetic change, but something about those teeth on the cavity just totally transforms the look from nice to cheap in my eyes. I'm probably just a weirdo -- maybe they don't look bad to everyone else. I just knew if I carried a club that I thought was ugly my confidence in it would be shot, so I stuck with the purdy 905 Pros.

You are not weird. I bought a set of XK Pros and was so horrified by them that I ate the 15% restocking fee and sent them back. They are the cheapest, cheesiest-looking clubheads I have ever seen.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
These are really, really pretty. Just like with the Dynacraft heads I'm currently playing, I'm amazed at what you can get for under ten bucks. Every head came in dead-ass on 3 grams under weight -- odd to have such consistent inconsistency. The Dynacrafts were all over the place, relatively speaking - they were +/- 3 grams quite literally, so some heads were only 1 gram apart. These were all spot on, just shifted 3 grams light. That's okay, I'm putting slightly lighter shafts in them and I like swingweight on the light side of things, so that will work out fine. Plus I'm kind of between regular and stiff flex, so the consistently lighter heads with the shafts trimmed to r flex will work out on the firm side, so I'm good to go.

Mostly I'm just taken aback by how pretty they are. They're still a little bit more shovely than I expected them to be - that's good, too. I'm really probably not good enough to play them as they are. Had they been as much of a player's iron as I had expected I would've been in even deeper crap than I will be with these.

So far I'm really digging them, even though I haven't hit them. I have them drying on the sticks tonight, hopefully I can get them trimmed and gripped tomorrow night.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
These are really nice clubs, man. I don't like all the cheesy crap that GI clubs seem to have these days, especially components. Don't put a checkerboard sticker or some stupid violent-sounding name on my clubs, please. I also don't like sloppy like some component clubs are - even on some of the more expensive stuff you'll see a miss in the paint fill or paint line around the crown. These don't have that. I haven't handled a bunch of component iron heads (this is the 4th distinct set I've built, 7th set I've held) but this is the first one that I can say genuinely could be sold in a store if it had a name on it that people knew. If this said Callaway or TM or whatever and was sitting in the rack at Dick's it would fit right in. That's pretty cool for a $7 head.

So far I've only hit the 3, 5, 7, and 9 - and only a few times each. In that amount of testing I can tell they're much more serious than any of my other irons. They feel fantastic when you treat them right - but they don't hesitate to sting you when you screw up. The ball still comes up a bit when it's hit thin, still goes pretty straight-ish when it's toed -- but it lets you know you didn't do what you were supposed to do. But when you put a reasonably good swing on it you get a great feel and a great flight. It's exactly what any mid-capper needs -- good forgiveness, but not too much. Very nice.

I hate that the XKs are so ugly and cheap looking in comparison, because this one is really good. That's a shared opinion - I showed them to my buddies at work and they impressed by how nice and OEM (for lack of a better term) they look.

Anyway, here are a few pics. All crappy because my camera sucks, but a couple of shots in the bag and a couple of the 5i at address as requested by Landon earlier in the thread.

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_bag1.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_bag2.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_5i_add1.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_5i_add2.jpg

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Damn, that topline view don't look bad at all. Could ya give me a little closer shot of the wedges including topline. I'm gonna build me a couple of them I think.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Damn, that topline view don't look bad at all. Could ya give me a little closer shot of the wedges including topline. I'm gonna build me a couple of them I think.

The wedges are a little beat up (had them since September,) but I'll go grab a few shots.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007

Here are a few even crappier pics - maybe I can get you some better shots in daylight if you're really interested in them. I'm not gonna lie to you, they aren't that great. They're okay, and I guess pretty good for $8 a head, but a bit clicky and wooden feeling. They get the job done, but I'm not blown away by them by any means. I have an SMT Durometer Series 59° that is WAY nicer - but that's a $45 head, which is why I don't have 3 of those instead. I'm interested in checking out the Dynacraft Prophet wedge head (I think it's prophet - relatively new.) I guess I'd say I'm casually looking for better wedge heads - these fit the bill for the time-being, but I wouldn't consider them permanent and wouldn't go out of my way to get a set if I were you.

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_wedge_address.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_wedge_face.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_wedge_sole.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_wedge_back.jpg

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Funny you say that because I just traded a putter for a set of SMT Durometers yesterday. I can build 2 of the acers for about $30 and the higher bounce was my reason for wanting to try them. I'm a digger and figured WTH, but I guess now I'll wait and see how I like the Durometers.

OP
MGP

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
These are really nice clubs, man. I don't like all the cheesy crap that GI clubs seem to have these days, especially components. Don't put a checkerboard sticker or some stupid violent-sounding name on my clubs, please. I also don't like sloppy like some component clubs are - even on some of the more expensive stuff you'll see a miss in the paint fill or paint line around the crown. These don't have that. I haven't handled a bunch of component iron heads (this is the 4th distinct set I've built, 7th set I've held) but this is the first one that I can say genuinely could be sold in a store if it had a name on it that people knew. If this said Callaway or TM or whatever and was sitting in the rack at Dick's it would fit right in. That's pretty cool for a $7 head.

So far I've only hit the 3, 5, 7, and 9 - and only a few times each. In that amount of testing I can tell they're much more serious than any of my other irons. They feel fantastic when you treat them right - but they don't hesitate to sting you when you screw up. The ball still comes up a bit when it's hit thin, still goes pretty straight-ish when it's toed -- but it lets you know you didn't do what you were supposed to do. But when you put a reasonably good swing on it you get a great feel and a great flight. It's exactly what any mid-capper needs -- good forgiveness, but not too much. Very nice.

I hate that the XKs are so ugly and cheap looking in comparison, because this one is really good. That's a shared opinion - I showed them to my buddies at work and they impressed by how nice and OEM (for lack of a better term) they look.

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_bag1.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_bag2.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_5i_add1.jpg

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_xp905_5i_add2.jpg

Couldn't agree more. This will be the first full season with my XP905 Pros. After playing them the last half of last season I can say they are the best irons I've ever had for my game. I've gotten a lot of compliments from other players at the course too. You are also right -- if they said TM or Callaway on them no one would question that they were the real deal.

🔥 Latest posts