• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sick of playing in the wind

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I've had it. We've had gail force winds every week since league started in early May. We play on a "links" type wide open course and there are three nines, all tough. I can compensate for hitting into or with the wind or crosswind but what is driving me nuts is trying to make a shot when you're being pushed all over the place by the wind while taking it. Tonight 25-35 mph winds with gusts (and lot's of them) over 40 mph. Balls blowing off tees. Pull carts tipping over. And I can't stop overswinging when I play in this crap so I screw up shots I never would normally. I play on weekends with no wind and I make beautiful shots and decent (for me) scores. In this crap I can't concentrate. One guy's putt was going right at the hole and a gust came up and pushed it a foot over. I know there was no break because I just hit mine on the same line. Not fun golf for me. Thanks for letting me rant. :(

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I agree about wind this year in Wisconsin. I do not golf with 25 mph or greater winds if I can help it. I believe my rounds have been reduced by 33% this year. Its just not fun. Even my putting is affected.

artfulgolfer

Jan 8, 2007
same thing here on the California Central Coast... never been so windy for so long! Ocean temps are 2-3 degrees cooler than normal here, creating lots of wind. Have to admit, it's making me a better player. No longer intimidated by strong winds and gusts.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Pretty lame here in SF too. I grew up playing in LA and Atlanta where there is no wind to speak of.

What really gets me is into the wind, left to right with my driver. I am still learning how to deal with that. My 'bad driver miss' is a spin-out double-cross slice and it always seems to happen in that situation. I like to punch my irons, so it's not a huge deal outside of that one shot.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I like to play in wind once in a while - it presents a challenge - but round after round is just frustrating. I don't remember it being so windy up in cheeseland. Crazy.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
We had wind like that 2 months ago. Now it's 95*F and 100% humidity. :(

I'll take WIND for $400, please, Alex.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
If you can't handle the wind, don't play.

Now granted, I am no expert like yourself, but my limited knowledge of playing in the wind has led me to this.

Yes, you will end up playing in the wind if you play tournaments enough, it is unavoidable, but there is one thing.

You simply cannot play in the wind. You see, unless you are an accomplished meteorologist and have plenty of tools you carry around in your golf bag, your ability will be limited by the fickle and complex behavior of wind currents, that can vary by feet.

So when people say playing in the wind sucks and all it leads to is frustrated, it is simply because we are not nearly as well off as yourself, and perhaps we should give up.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.