• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sigh, Another day with a hurting wrist

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Guy's Ive posted a few post here telling everyone about my slice and hitting behind the balls. Well i played today again , My swing is getting worse, Now i dont slice I just aim left and hit it right it goes straight but straight right, I'am getting to the point where i dont even want to play anymore.

MY wrist are killing me from all the ground hits before the ball strike, I talked to a so called pro slash teacher well he told me that some people have it some people dont. After hearing that i just gave up and walked off the course. I can hit the ball a ton without killing it but the effect is me hitting the ground first or it just going straight to the right off the tee and on the fairways with my irons. I dont understand.

I practice alot hitting the balls and nothing changes I've tryed aiming left or choking up on the club to not hit the ground , All leads to the same crap, Straight to the right. And my wrist hurting at the end of the day. I think i'll get that "inside approach " Say 6 swings or less or money back well That sounds good to me. Thanks for letting me Vent here I am just very frustrated right now .

Mister Bater

Jan 13, 2005
Roy said:
Guy's Ive posted a few post here telling everyone about my slice and hitting behind the balls. Well i played today again , My swing is getting worse, Now i dont slice I just aim left and hit it right it goes straight but straight right, I'am getting to the point where i dont even want to play anymore.

MY wrist are killing me from all the ground hits before the ball strike, I talked to a so called pro slash teacher well he told me that some people have it some people dont. After hearing that i just gave up and walked off the course. I can hit the ball a ton without killing it but the effect is me hitting the ground first or it just going straight to the right off the tee and on the fairways with my irons. I dont understand.

I practice alot hitting the balls and nothing changes I've tryed aiming left or choking up on the club to not hit the ground , All leads to the same crap, Straight to the right. And my wrist hurting at the end of the day. I think i'll get that "inside approach " Say 6 swings or less or money back well That sounds good to me. Thanks for letting me Vent here I am just very frustrated right now .

Golf will always be frustrating, you will always want to get better and will always find faults in your game - whatever your level.

Maybe you are trying too hard? Hit a bad shot, get frustrated, tense up and try harder, the tension causes another bad shot etc etc...the cycle goes on.

I'd guess you are gripping your club too tightly - dont - relax that grip. Swing easy. No tension, don't try to kill the ball. Get a nice breathing rhythm.

And don't listen to idiots who tell you 'you either have it or you dont'. He's a waste of skin. Instead, listen to the words of Winston Churchill.

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

OP
Roy

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Well the sad part is when I try to kill the ball it hits good but slices bad. It's something I dont understand, I hit the ball nice and easy everytime and it goes straight right. Not slice but straight right . Almost like when i take the club back imagine me turning towards the right when i come down. I dont do that but thats what happens.

Mister Bater

Jan 13, 2005
Roy said:
Well the sad part is when I try to kill the ball it hits good but slices bad. It's something I dont understand, I hit the ball nice and easy everytime and it goes straight right. Not slice but straight right . Almost like when i take the club back imagine me turning towards the right when i come down. I dont do that but thats what happens.

Can you get a couple of lessons of a proper pro?

difficult for people here to correct what you do without seeing your swing, but this is a great venue for ranting..!

Are you following through correctly? When i started i had problems and part of it was i was 'jabbing' - i'd hit the ball then kinda stop - i wouldnt follow the swing through properly.

OP
Roy

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
tommrow i'll have my swing online for everyone to download and watch. Yes i follow through the ball, I'am watching a video and i maybe coming over the top and choping the ball, I just seen a video that the club head comes from the inside and hits the ball with the club head facing the right but after rotating the club head it makes a draw, I may give that a try but it scares me hitting the ball towards the right and drawing the club back in . He's using a insideapproach gagit saying it will currect my swing. Let me see if i can find that video and i'll put a link for the video

http://www.golfcalgary.com/video/TerryCarterAntiSliceTip.wmv

I have no pro's or teachers in my area, IT sad really . And dont really have the money to pay one the price for the guys out of my area.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Roy:

The guy on the video is correct. He is telling you one of the most commonly known facts in golf.

You need professional help and if you are unable to obtain it where you live - you might go on ebay and try to buy an InsideApproach. This is a good aid and they are cheap on ebay.

Where do you live?

OP
Roy

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Florida , A little town called Bonifay.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Roy said:
Sorry to hear your woes, Roy. We've all been there.

Bravo is right. You need to find professional help. It sounds like, through your first post, that you had a bad experience with a pro. Unfortunately, you probably won't get much better from a pro without making an appointment and writing a check. What you did was the equivelant of seeing a doctor at a party, dropping your pants, and getting his input on the cancher on your right butt cheek. ;)

Do some research, find a reputable pro, and get a couple of lessons at least. It will vastly increase you enjoyment, and will probably actually save $ longterm on lost balls.

Good luck.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Roy said:

Roy -

I live in Birmingham and have been through Bonifay a few times on the way to the beach...

I would suggest that you go to Dothan or Panama City and get some professional help. In Dothan, there is a Robert Trent Jones Trail facility. These are top notch and will have well qualified teaching professionals who can help you.

And as you know, there are a ton of courses down in Panama City...or you could drive over to Bluewater Bay...

Your issues and questions are very very common in beginners. I had the same problems when I was beginning and I'll bet most of the others here had the same issues.

We cannot solve it for you without being there.

Can you afford $150 for some lessons? I'll bet you could get 3 lessons at any of these places over a period of weeks and it would get you on the right path...

Lemme know.

b

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Roy, if you're fatting your driver, try a more shallow swing.
This drill may help you: setup and swing above the ball without hitting it. Make a couple of them, then hit the ball.

OP
Roy

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Well, I went out today and shot a 101. Last time was a 106 so something changed, Oh yah i know what it was, I sissy hit the driver and only went about 180-220 yards, Wasnt straight but wasnt my natural Aim left hit right. It did tend to go right just as it hit the ground i played off the edge of the fairway all day, But my Irons and or Fairway woods.... Lets just say i wanted to break a few clubs in my bag . So i played all day with a 9 Iron Pitchingwedge putter and Driver all day. Hell i tee'd off with a freaking 9 Iron a few times going 150+ woohoo hahah It was fun but my damn Wrist are still killing me stupid me kept hitting the ground infront of me. I par'd my first hole too Which was nice .

I have a video of my swing but I'am trying figure out a way to get the svideo to see the camera i used on my computer. The video does show me going over the top a few times but didnt slice it just went straight right instead. It also showed me that i had a Open stance too , Hell I"am my own teacher hahahah Well I"am kinda happy i shaved a few strokes off my game but down about me not being able to hit any long Irons and having to sissy hit the driver to just make the fairway. But heck go 180 220 with a driver , Or play hit 260 285+ playing in the woods. Now i just need to figure out this whole coil thing i never go above my head with my clubs EVER if i do Hook and top the hell out of it. Well guys I'am venting again and i know everyone is getting sick of reading so Untill i get my game right i'll quit posting these I suck threads :diespam:

Well back to hitting the balls at the range maybe i'll shave another 5 strokes off.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Roy:

Honestly, it's not gonna get much better. There are three aspects to every game:

1) Grip
2) Set up
3) Swing

If any of these things are wrong and you go to the range - you keep grinding these "errors" deeper and deeper into your mind and muscle memory.

Did you read my post on the lessons?

OP
Roy

Roy

Grip it and Rip it
May 29, 2005
Well, At dogwood Lakes golf course they have a pro named Andy , I havent talked to him yet but i'll give him a call tommorow. I went to panama a few times for demoing clubs. I cant really afford lessons right now. I'am ditching my Taylor Made burners Irons with graphite shafts for a Custom fitting ping i3 Clone clubs called Tour z3+. Life time warrenty and they have good reviews. 3-pw for 158 shipped. Brand new. When i buy they ask for specs hight arm length etc. Also gonna get myself a offset cobra or a offset integra. Then I'am gonna go get myself some lessons down in dothan .

I"ll keep you guys updated. Oh by the way i have 3-pw TaylorMade burner midside Irons r-flex graphite shafts forsale now . The 8-Iron is coming away from the shaft and hasnt been hit . Thats the way i got it. Thanks

Oh and bravo , I can afford that but is that 150 for one day? If so ouch... I figured it would be around 80 bux or so, Well when i get my 73 mach1 mustang's motor rebuild i'll go see someone up in panama.

Maybe one of these days if your passing through you can stop by and we can play a few rounds togather ? And i'll show you my awsome Swing hahahhaha.

Massimo

Captain Obvious
May 31, 2005
I am Roy's Bro-in-law and I have been trying to study his swing. I have been playing golf for about 13 years and took it up again after a 3 year layoff. I cannot figure out his swing. There are times when it looks like everything goes great for him. Nice swing, great follow-thru, and awesome shot. Then again, I have seen a nice swing, great follow-thru, but the shot goes straight right. I am definitely no Pro, but I have never seen someone hit a ball so straight right. No banana slice, no slight fade, -- Just a straight shot right.

I can't figure out how his clubhead is making that kind of impact. Now for the straight right shot, we know his swing is pretty much correct. The ball has no hook/draw or fade/slice that would constitute a inside-out, outside-in, or over-the-top swing. (But yes, we all have those swing probs from time to time). It seems to be a clubhead facing problem. He does get some problems with hitting behind the ball and I have noticed when that happens, his clubface somehow straightens out and his shot goes staight down the fairway (of course he hit it fat).

The best advice I gave him was to hit as much as possible. A Pro can help out for certain probs, but my best approach to golf has always been -- Hit the Range and Find Your Swing.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Roy said:
Well, At dogwood Lakes golf course they have a pro named Andy , I havent talked to him yet but i'll give him a call tommorow. I went to panama a few times for demoing clubs. I cant really afford lessons right now. I'am ditching my Taylor Made burners Irons with graphite shafts for a Custom fitting ping i3 Clone clubs called Tour z3+. Life time warrenty and they have good reviews. 3-pw for 158 shipped. Brand new. When i buy they ask for specs hight arm length etc. Also gonna get myself a offset cobra or a offset integra. Then I'am gonna go get myself some lessons down in dothan .

I"ll keep you guys updated. Oh by the way i have 3-pw TaylorMade burner midside Irons r-flex graphite shafts forsale now . The 8-Iron is coming away from the shaft and hasnt been hit . Thats the way i got it. Thanks

Oh and bravo , I can afford that but is that 150 for one day? If so ouch... I figured it would be around 80 bux or so, Well when i get my 73 mach1 mustang's motor rebuild i'll go see someone up in panama.

Maybe one of these days if your passing through you can stop by and we can play a few rounds togather ? And i'll show you my awsome Swing hahahhaha.

Roy:

The $150 would be for a series of three lessons - spaced a few weeks apart. Getting just one lesson usually does no good as it takes a long time for a golfer to assimilate the new information and get it into his swing.

Call Andy and say you are interested in getting three lessons - one per month over the summer. Ask him if he will give you three lessons for $150.

Take your first lesson and hit the range twice a week and play once a week. Do this for a month and go back to him. Based on what Massimo says, there is no way anybody here can help you. You need professional help in person - especially if some of your shots are going sideways like he is describing.

The money will be the best investment you have ever made.

🔥 Latest posts