• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Simple pleasures...

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I think it’s pretty safe to say, the last year has been pretty rough on a lot of people. Feels like since March of 2020 we’ve all been living in a movie script. Likely of the horror or sci-fi genres. It’s been crazy!! Having three small kids and a wife who is a nurse who works in long term care, our house has just been in chaos. I took the voluntary layoff from work so I could hold down the Fort while she battles on the front lines. Wasn’t an easy decision, but one that had to be made!!

I’ve been loving my time at home, it gets loud and hectic, but they are all little versions of me. So who can I blame??? Thanks to our couple’s counsellor my wife and I are learning to enjoy the simplest of things during our time at home. Reading with the kids, I really enjoy colouring with them and we all enjoy time in the kitchen baking treats!!! We were also challenged to find simple pleasures that are for just ourselves. My wife has been enjoying a Saturday evening bath after a long work week and it makes a huge improvement to her mood. One of my newest favourite things is shaving, with this...
ImageUploadedByShot Talk1616180324.990433.jpg

Up until the new year I had been a slave to Gillette and just pouring money away for a crappy ass shave. This double edged vintage safety razor has changed my entire shaving routine!! I’ll admit it’s kinda like relearning how to shave again, but once you gain some confidence the shave is so good!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I'm a Harry's Razor guy. Very nice razors.

Harry_s_Razors_for_M_116998_7604_0_res.jpg
I've been doing the Harry's thing for the past few months. Seem to be working okay. Our Krogers handles them and it's right down the street. Handy for blades, etc.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I think it’s pretty safe to say, the last year has been pretty rough on a lot of people. Feels like since March of 2020 we’ve all been living in a movie script. Likely of the horror or sci-fi genres. It’s been crazy!! Having three small kids and a wife who is a nurse who works in long term care, our house has just been in chaos. I took the voluntary layoff from work so I could hold down the Fort while she battles on the front lines. Wasn’t an easy decision, but one that had to be made!!

I’ve been loving my time at home, it gets loud and hectic, but they are all little versions of me. So who can I blame??? Thanks to our couple’s counsellor my wife and I are learning to enjoy the simplest of things during our time at home. Reading with the kids, I really enjoy colouring with them and we all enjoy time in the kitchen baking treats!!! We were also challenged to find simple pleasures that are for just ourselves. My wife has been enjoying a Saturday evening bath after a long work week and it makes a huge improvement to her mood. One of my newest favourite things is shaving, with this... View attachment 32299

Up until the new year I had been a slave to Gillette and just pouring money away for a crappy ass shave. This double edged vintage safety razor has changed my entire shaving routine!! I’ll admit it’s kinda like relearning how to shave again, but once you gain some confidence the shave is so good!!

Well my friend welcome to a whole new world of shaving! I took the plunge into the world of vintage double edge razors about 5 years ago and haven’t looked back. I now own 3 razors that I have in my rotation along with 4 different brushes and at least 6 different creams that I really enjoy. It’s made a world of difference with us having routine and it’s so much more enjoyable than the cartridge razors!!

If I may, give a shot to some Taylor of Old Bond street shaving creams, specifically sandalwood and Mr Taylor’s scents... simply heavenly. And the coolest thing about their tubs of cream...how long they last! Sure it’s $15 for a tub but it’s not uncommon for me to get 3 months out of one and that shaving 6 days a week. I can give plenty of other recommendations if you want but TOBs is THE place to start for shaving cream!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Well my friend welcome to a whole new world of shaving! I took the plunge into the world of vintage double edge razors about 5 years ago and haven’t looked back. I now own 3 razors that I have in my rotation along with 4 different brushes and at least 6 different creams that I really enjoy. It’s made a world of difference with us having routine and it’s so much more enjoyable than the cartridge razors!!

If I may, give a shot to some Taylor of Old Bond street shaving creams, specifically sandalwood and Mr Taylor’s scents... simply heavenly. And the coolest thing about their tubs of cream...how long they last! Sure it’s $15 for a tub but it’s not uncommon for me to get 3 months out of one and that shaving 6 days a week. I can give plenty of other recommendations if you want but TOBs is THE place to start for shaving cream!

I could definitely get into the vintage razors...just haven't because I have too many other hobbies...

I've found a few at vintage stores, but I don't have enough knowledge to know if they're good/bad or worth restoring.

Any good 101 resources?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I could definitely get into the vintage razors...just haven't because I have too many other hobbies...

I've found a few at vintage stores, but I don't have enough knowledge to know if they're good/bad or worth restoring.

Any good 101 resources?

If you check out the forum “Badger & Blade” there is a TON of info on vintage razors. Some guys really get into it!

If you want to give DE shaving a try you can on the cheap through place like West Coast shaving and Maggard razors. You can get a new kit (razor, brush, bowl) for $40 or less. A good newer razor is the Edwin Jagger-link below. Like most hobbies you can really go down the rabbit hole and the amount you spend is up to you!

Edwin Jagger Double Edge Safety Razor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002RBF1PO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ASFHDC8RXAMPB2612P82

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
A good vintage razor that gets a lot of love is the Gillette’s Fatboy. They made them over many years and Gillette used to be a big player in the DE (double edge) razor world but obviously went away from that as cartridges became more popular.

Here’s a good example from eBay:

Vintage 1961 Gillette Adjustable Fat Boy Safety Razor G-3, NICE | eBay

Restoring can be hit or miss, if it’s just some cleanup no big deal. But if it’s rusted all to he’ll probably not worth it. Unless we are talking straight razors...that’s a whole other world of shaving that I haven’t dared much to get into-mostly because of the cost factor and extra time I’d need in the morning to shave with one! [emoji23]

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Sorry for so many posts but I’ll say I used to hate shaving. I’d use the Gillette pro glide with the 5 blade cartridge and my face would feel like I peeled skin off. I thought that was normal and just had to “man up” which I did for years! Once I started to shave with a DE razor and get the hang of it my face feels so much better after a shave and a splash of aftershave! Another nice thing, No ingrown hairs!

As you get into it you’ll hear a lot of guys do a 3 pass shave-with the grain of your hair, across and against. I cannot do against the grain, it just hurts but I still get a damn good feeling shave doing 2 passes with the grain and feel worlds better! Plus it just feels cooler!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada

For me right now, it’s just the few extra minutes it takes to achieve that excellent shave. I use to rush using a Gillette Mach 5 and like Jim, felt like I’d ripped off skin!! What use to be a 3 minute quick shave has now grown to maybe 10 minutes of a little quiet time and relaxing for dad!! My favourite part is a nice warm shaving cream lather, damn it’s just heaven on your face!!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
As you get into it you’ll hear a lot of guys do a 3 pass shave-with the grain of your hair, across and against. I cannot do against the grain, it just hurts but I still get a damn good feeling shave doing 2 passes with the grain and feel worlds better! Plus it just feels cooler! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before taking the leap I did some research into techniques and ways of accomplishing that “best shave ever.” Surprise surprise like everything else in life there’s hundreds of ways to do so, its all about what works best for you!! And as I said, the most important thing is to take your time and enjoy it.

My routine is rather simple compared to some things you can do, but I have added in a few steps that I’d never even thought of when shaving with cartridge razors. To start I give my face a good wash, really scrubbing the areas I will be shaving, to help soften the hair and stand it up. There are exfoliating scrubs you can buy, I’ve just always been a Dove guy, so I use it. I soak my shaving brush in the mug with very hot water, helps create that luxurious warm shaving cream. Before lathering my face I place a very hot cloth over it, almost too hot to stand. Remembering not to rush and let the weight of the razor doing its work, I make two passes with the grain. Pausing once complete to see if there are any misses, if so I add a little more shaving cream and clean up. The final step is to cool my face with some water, it relaxes your skin and cools any irritation. Little aftershave and you’re set!!

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
I’m reading about the counseling and the new life.
I think this is fantastic, and will make for an important part of your married life and your children’s life’s. It’s something I should have done a looong time ago!

I can see yes you made a job sacrifice, but working , wow the 40 years plus plan and all,
You have much time left, heck who knows.. this might lead to a different decision when things get better overall. I’ll be cheering for ya !

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Before taking the leap I did some research into techniques and ways of accomplishing that “best shave ever.” Surprise surprise like everything else in life there’s hundreds of ways to do so, its all about what works best for you!! And as I said, the most important thing is to take your time and enjoy it.

My routine is rather simple compared to some things you can do, but I have added in a few steps that I’d never even thought of when shaving with cartridge razors. To start I give my face a good wash, really scrubbing the areas I will be shaving, to help soften the hair and stand it up. There are exfoliating scrubs you can buy, I’ve just always been a Dove guy, so I use it. I soak my shaving brush in the mug with very hot water, helps create that luxurious warm shaving cream. Before lathering my face I place a very hot cloth over it, almost too hot to stand. Remembering not to rush and let the weight of the razor doing its work, I make two passes with the grain. Pausing once complete to see if there are any misses, if so I add a little more shaving cream and clean up. The final step is to cool my face with some water, it relaxes your skin and cools any irritation. Little aftershave and you’re set!!

If you really want to get crazy try shaving with cold water! Soak the brush in cold water and shave with cold water. You’d think it would hurt like a midi but I’m telling you, there is nothing more refreshing on a hot and muggy day than a cold shave!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
If you really want to get crazy try shaving with cold water! Soak the brush in cold water and shave with cold water. You’d think it would hurt like a midi but I’m telling you, there is nothing more refreshing on a hot and muggy day than a cold shave!

This sounds like it could become my summer routine for sure. I’m gonna give that a try!!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I’m reading about the counseling and the new life. I think this is fantastic, and will make for an important part of your married life and your children’s life’s. It’s something I should have done a looong time ago! I can see yes you made a job sacrifice, but working , wow the 40 years plus plan and all, You have much time left, heck who knows.. this might lead to a different decision when things get better overall. I’ll be cheering for ya !

At the risk of posting another massive long story, I will try my best to keep it as short as possible. It’s just some very personal information, so its very easy for me to go on and on;

My wife was diagnosed with PPD/A when our twins were four months old. Who knew having 3 kids within 18 months would do a number on a young woman’s mental health? Thankfully she was the one who noticed it. She couldn’t quite explain it, but she knew she wasn’t right. I cannot stress enough how when a woman speaks listen to her!! Medications alone were not the fix all to our situation and after a few more doctors visits (hers and my own.) We started seeing a couple’s counsellor as well as our own individual ones. It’s a rather enjoyable experience really and it is nice to have a referee of sorts there at times. We have learned even more about one another through this all and even though there were some really shitty days, nights and weeks. We are even stronger because of it now. You are very right, we will remember this time forever!!

There, don’t think I did too bad!

🔥 Latest posts