• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

simplifying THE golf swing.

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
United States United States
THE golf swing.
Geez...thats what I get for doing 12 things at once on this stupid thing :D

Im always on the quest to simplify the golf swing so Im not overloading my brain and cheesing off a shot because I cant see thru all the smoke pouring from my ears.

A couple days ago Im into Nicklaus' book "My Golden Lessons".
On page 69 there is a bit about "Pull the club head through".
Pretty simplistic so I give that a try yesterday....just thinking about winding up and on the downswing "pulling" the club through the ball and beyond.

After a swing and a grip adjustment shots were flying really nice without any real thought about the golf swing. Almost like point and click.

Went over for 9 holes today at a harder course to change things up a bit and was really happy with the outcome. This is a harder course for me and even with getting into 4 bunkers and chubbing off two tee shots I still ended up walking off with a 45 for 9 which made me happy given that these greens are much harder than my home course.
I wasnt even really trying to score so much as just trying to get used to quit thinking so much and just try to pull the club thru the ball and followthru and managed to get a score at least as good as my average days on my easier home course.

Hoping by the end of this season to have 'my swing' so I can start enjoying the game EVERY time instead of perpetually 'working' on some MAJOR swing issue every stinking time Im on the course.
It'd be nice to just go and play a round at some point and not have to say "Im working on........(fill in the blank):"

Last edited:
OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
If you're not working on something then you've mastered the game, which is impossible. You will always be working on something.
Simplifying seemed to certainly work today.
Had a number of pars and a birdie, with a couple near birdies.
Only had one triple (on the front 9) that was caused by an idiotic rushed shot, but whatever.
A few doubles too, but ended with a 43 and 45 for 88 which is my best total score to date.
Simplifying definitely gave me longer, straighter shots more consistently than Ive been getting for a long while.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Simplifying also got you doubles and triples too. Just sayin. I'm not knocking simlifying, i'm just saying you'll never shake the feeling of "working on something" . See also - Tiger or Paddy.

OP
William Tipton

William Tipton

Apr 24, 2013
Country
Just got hold of a scorecard and looks like the tee shot I made on the 14th hole was 237 yards.
For me with a 1 hybrid thats a great shot given it was dead center fairway. Didnt drift either direction at all and got some forward roll.

🔥 Latest posts