• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Singin' the New Pro Blues

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I started some lessons with a new golf pro this week. I like him, and I think this will work, but the jury's still out. He started out by changing my stance (admittedly too wide--I have balance issues) and moved the ball way forward in my stance. This will take some getting used to. Finally got out today to see what happens on a course. When it works--consistency remains an issue--the loft is fabulous and the ball really bites. But if it's humanly possible, I've gotten even shorter. Kept having to move up at least two clubs, and I HATE not knowing which club to use.

Playing lesson on Tuesday. He's gonna get an earful. I need to see a plan that this will improve things.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
and moved the ball way forward in my stance.

I was playing the ball pretty far forward in my stance until about a week ago. Decided to move it back & let me tell you it has been a game changer. Shot the best I ever have yesterday & my driving has me very happy.

Give the new changes a few days & if they don't work, go back to your old routine & or get a new coach.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I've starting keeping my stance closer together, and playing the ball back more so.. I've shot the best I have just this weekend..

Keep plugging away, maybe it'll start to work, and the more comfortable you get, you'll get the distance back.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
Stick with it, ive seen big improvements in my game since ive started seeing the pro. He had me play the ball further up in my stance and im striking it much better.

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
With any switch in my swing, I am always worse before I get better, give it time. Good Luck!

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Thanks. I'm kinda hoping it's a weight transfer issue or something. I can only manage about 1.5 swing thoughts at a time, and right now that's not one of them. Or even half of them.

But geez--had this gorgeous 100 yard shot to the pin. Totally nailed it--ball stopped on a dime 4 feet behind the hole. Only problem was, I had to use the 140 yard club to execute it. Grrr!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Thanks. I'm kinda hoping it's a weight transfer issue or something. I can only manage about 1.5 swing thoughts at a time, and right now that's not one of them. Or even half of them.

But geez--had this gorgeous 100 yard shot to the pin. Totally nailed it--ball stopped on a dime 4 feet behind the hole. Only problem was, I had to use the 140 yard club to execute it. Grrr!
Is your ballflight higher? Or just shorter?

Maybe some impact tape would help you see whether you're hitting off the toe, now that your ball position is forward of your "comfort zone."

Say all you want about PING forgiveness, but they do tend to feel the same no matter where you on the face you make contact, so it's hard to know by 'feel.'

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Is your ballflight higher? Or just shorter?

Maybe some impact tape would help you see whether you're hitting off the toe, now that your ball position is forward of your "comfort zone."

Say all you want about PING forgiveness, but they do tend to feel the same no matter where you on the face you make contact, so it's hard to know by 'feel.'

Higher & shorter. These aren't the PINGs. They're not even (yet) the Callaways. Those are on order (or they'd better be). I'm having a heart-to-heart with the pro tomorrow. I can guarantee him lifetime employment without this grief.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Higher & shorter. These aren't the PINGs. They're not even (yet) the Callaways. Those are on order (or they'd better be). I'm having a heart-to-heart with the pro tomorrow. I can guarantee him lifetime employment without this grief.
I don't know why I thought you had PINGS....
icon9.gif

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I don't know why I thought you had PINGS....
icon9.gif

Because you pay attention to me--that's your first mistake. ;) I demo'd them Friday and ordered a couple, but don't have them yet.

Most of what I have in my bag now is crap--what you get when the airline loses your clubs 10 days before your league starts and you need left handed women's clubs.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Because you pay attention to me--that's your first mistake. ;) I demo'd them Friday and ordered a couple, but don't have them yet.

Most of what I have in my bag now is crap--what you get when the airline loses your clubs 10 days before your league starts and you need left handed women's clubs.

Ouch. How do you like that wedge though?

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Spent 90+ minutes with the new pro on Saturday. Current diagnosis is that my dominant (trailing) hand keeps taking over. (If I say left and right, I'll just drive everyone nuts.)

I thought I'd come up with a brilliant training aid here--I put my watch on my dominant hand and stuck an emory board in the band, on the inside of my wrist. Figured that would catch any wrist flipping. But it didn't. Any other brilliant ideas out there? Other than focusing on keeping my leading wrist straight? I've got WAY too many swing thoughts going on, and my poor little brain can't keep up.

🔥 Latest posts