• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

single handicap players

longshot

I hear voices
Apr 3, 2005
Played a club team pairs matchplay event today.The captain puts me and my partner a 19 handicap against a 13 handicap and a 14 year old 7 handicap who cant weigh more than 9 stone soaking wet.
The young lad was matching my drives on most holes ok i was hitting a 3 or 5 wood.His irons were no where near what i hit but i was very impressed with his overall game.After the match he introduced me to his dad with the words (this guy birdies eveything) he was not big headed and really seemed to enjoy the match.I talked to his dad for a while and said i thought he had natural talent and a good approach towards the mental part of the game.
When i was a junior i never met another single handicap my age now i play quite often with them.Any of you guys played with young players who you could see a good future ahead of them not necessarily for a living but to a very good standard of golf?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Loads,plenty of scratch players 16 and younger.What determines whether they make it to the top lies between their ears,and sadly none of the lads I played with made it,although they all became good club pros.

kiwi

Kiwi Club Ho
Aug 20, 2005
At my club I think I'm ranked about #7 in h/c and only one of the guy's above me is older than me. I'm only 23. None of the other 5 are older than 19 with the highest h/c between them 1.2

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
kiwi said:
At my club I think I'm ranked about #7 in h/c and only one of the guy's above me is older than me. I'm only 23. None of the other 5 are older than 19 with the highest h/c between them 1.2

Just curious, what is your handicap? I'm 20, and I never bothered to check how I was ranked, for me it's too hard to tell. I play below scratch at the city courses, but at the collegiate courses from the gold(all the way back) tees I average 2.

kiwi

Kiwi Club Ho
Aug 20, 2005
I'm playing off 2. something at the moment. All the h/c's here in New Zealand are kept on the same website. You can break the ranking's down to nationally, provinical (state) and club on their website. Even male/female. Senior/Junior etc

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
longshot:

I played with a 12 year old boy once at a medical convention. I knew his mother and neither she nor her husband played. She told me her son was a good player and wouldn't hold us up.

His maximum drive was about 200 yards but he always hit it straight. I was blowing it by him but wayward.

I think I shot an 83 or so and he had a 75. He went on to play college golf and is now on the Nationwide Tour here in the US. (The professional minor league tour).

There is a 14 year old player at our club now who is a 2-3 index. I played with him once. Same thing. Right down the middle and super short game.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
longshot said:
Any of you guys played with young players who you could see a good future ahead of them not necessarily for a living but to a very good standard of golf?

Yeah, my mate who is just 17 years of age is now off +0.1...and my course is pretty damn tough, too ! He has just come back from Sweden where he was playing for the Ireland Boys team. he did very well, indeed. Could very well have a great golfing life ahead of him.
Of course it is very difficult to predict in what capacity he will succeed with the game in, but he is such a natural, and has a short-game to die for, that he will definately have a very bright golfing carreer in some shape, size, or form...:)

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
At the moment, I think i'm down to 20. My best score is a 13 over par 79, but I've been consistently shooting below my handicap, recently. I got a lesson a week or so ago, and the coach said my basic swing looked good enough that if I worked hard enough, I could make it as a pro... So i'm spending all my spare time practising... Last night I was out on the course till 10.30pm, when it was too dark to play, and we've got a floodlit putting and chipping green at my course, which I was practising on until midnight...

On Wednesday, i'm going away to a golf hotel, which has all inclusive golf with practice facilities. I'm thinking 36 holes a day, with an hour's practice before and after...

In our junior club championship (scratch), I made it through to the second round, after beating a 24 hcp (I was 25 at the time) 7&6. In the second round, I had to play a 10 hcp (with me being 23 at the time). I managed to take an early lead... 2 up after 2 with a chip in for birdie at the second, and my opponent never managed to come back. I was dormie 3 up, and halfed the 18th, with a 5, for the match.

I'm playing really well at the moment, and I'm hoping to get down to single figures by next season. (All the above summed up in one sentence)

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
im 13 and play off 10-11 and my buddy is the same age and plays off 7. he has more natural talent and i had to work more to get here, but im catching up slowly.... :) maybe my new shaft will get me there :)

Scotty01292

Oct 16, 2005
19handicap said:
im 13 and play off 10-11 and my buddy is the same age and plays off 7. he has more natural talent and i had to work more to get here, but im catching up slowly.... :) maybe my new shaft will get me there :)

Irony, anyone? :) 19handicap plays off 10-11!

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Yeah, lots of good junior players. At my course the best juniors were +4 (Vandy), +3 (UVA, my brother), and +1 (me -- didn't practice enough). None of us decided to turn pro, although my brother thought about it.

But now there are even more. There's this one kid who will be a junior in HS next year who just smacks the ball, it's incredible. 340 yard drives, 240 yard 3 irons, Idon't know how he does it. Both he and his brother used to be total hacks but now they both play AJGAs exclusively. If you can't break par at your home course consistently you are nothing on the junior ranks any more...scary.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That's awesome Scotty! I hope everything pans out for the best for you, and great work ethic.

Scotty01292

Oct 16, 2005
JEFF4i said:
That's awesome Scotty! I hope everything pans out for the best for you, and great work ethic.

Thanks! Came second in another open today. Two rounds. I started off badly, with a 3 over handicap 91 (nett 71), CSS 68, so buffer zone. I played terrible. I was pushing, pulling, everything. In the second round, I played really well. 4 Over back 9, level par back 6! Hitting the ball really well. 81, nett 61, CSS 69. I'm expecting to get cut by 2.4, so I should be down to 18 now! Also... I won a new pair of golf shoes! Nice prize...

The master

Oct 24, 2004
The handicap cut off for all the under 16 amd 18 championship is usually 4 or 5 handicap, and there are usually 200 people in each event. So many scratch and + players around where I live.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online