• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Six Europeans occupy places in the World’s Top Ten

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Interesting shit this....

Six Europeans occupy places in the World’s Top Ten for first time in the history of the Official World Golf Rankings, with Race to Dubai winner Lee Westwood leading the line at a career high of World Number Four and Rory McIlroy becoming only the second 20 year old to make the World’s Top Ten.

Westwood’s victory in the Dubai World Championship presented by: DP World moved the Englishman up a place in the latest World Ranking to fourth, matching his previous highest position achieved the last time he was European Number One in 2000.

His six-stroke victory over fellow Englishman Ross McGowan on the Earth course at Jumeirah Golf Estates took him past the injured Paul Casey, who drops to World Number Five.

Ireland’s Padraig Harrington and Swede Henrik Stenson remain sixth and seventh in the World respectively, while Spain’s Sergio Garcia’s joint seventh place in Dubai took him up to eighth.

Until yesterday, Garcia was the only 20 year old to have ever achieved a place in the World’s Top Ten but there is now another member of that exclusive club as Northern Ireland’s Rory McIlroy, third in the Dubai World Championship and beaten into second in The Race to Dubai, had the consolation of moving from 13th to tenth in the World Ranking. Tiger Woods was 21 when he first entered the World’s Top Ten in 1997.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Obviously this is good news to me as a Non-US guy, and its all well and good having 6 out of the top 10 spots in the world but none of them are 1, 2 or even 3.

Still got a ways to go until we catch them damn Yanks!!! :usflag: :p

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
It is notable, but not overly.

A) Not a major among all 6.
B) All 6 profession wins combined don't match Tiger.
C) We own the other 4. 3 of which are top 3.

Sorry gentleman.

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
But an awful looong way to reach the pinnacle.
As a Swede I think it is great that we (Stenson to be exact) are able to occupy one of those posts. Also seems we have found a replacement for Annika Sörenstam on the top of the LPGA, next year Anna Nordquist will occupy that position.

OK, ok, even my former wife accused me of being premature...

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
It is notable, but not overly.

A) Not a major among all 6.
B) All 6 profession wins combined don't match Tiger.
C) We own the other 4. 3 of which are top 3.

Sorry gentleman.

I know you've been away from the game for a little but Jeff but I didnt think you'd forget Paddy Harringtons 2 majors that quick!! :bang:

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Or even Paddy's 3 Majors

Other than that a totally valid response from our intelligent cousins....

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
It is nice to see how Golf has become diversified, I think its great. Yeah, there might not be the top-3, but I would bet on McIlroy becoming one in a couple f years. I guess the idea is not about competing with the U.S. to show who is best, Jeff. That's what the Ryder's cup purpose is :D. I think the idea is to show things have changed from 9 out of 10 American to a 4 out of 10 American, which means golf has become much more a world wide sport, and we would continue to see it growing everywhere.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Good on you, Euro's! Seriously...I'm not into the whole nationality thing for world rankings as much as I like the players I like. I would love to see Rory or Padraig move up to world #1. Greg Norman is one of my all time favorite golfers. And yes, I do like a lot of American golfers, but there's simply no denying the talent and quality of golfers from outside the US.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
6 out of 10 in the World rankings and now we've got a President as well..... USE, USE, USE, you American's will soon notice how annoying that chant is!!!

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
6 out of 10 in the World rankings and now we've got a President as well..... USE, USE, USE, you American's will soon notice how annoying that chant is!!!

I doubt we can match that level of irritation to be fair - the USA still have 9 in the top ten 10 of the world's most annoying people and there seems little chance of their domination coming to an end soon.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
"Ahhhh" sighs IG as he sits back and watches the shit storm this post has created, while sipping his G&T!!

:beach3:

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I doubt we can match that level of irritation to be fair - the USA still have 9 in the top ten 10 of the world's most annoying people and there seems little chance of their domination coming to an end soon.

hahahahahaha :D

Kumabjorn

Oct 30, 2009
It wasn't that many years ago when there was only 1 European in the top 10, but 4 Aussies and South Africans (total) I think. Now there are none, that is actually more surprising.

🔥 Latest posts