• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slice help??

love2golf

Aug 24, 2005
I need some help with my slice. It is not terrible, but it is definitely there on most drives. Any suggestions?? I already have tried or am trying closing the head a little, weighted tape, right foot back at address, right thumb on the left side of the shaft as opposed to down the front, swinging in to out. Maybe trying all these together is what screws me??? I dont slice it every time, but straight or draws are not consistent i at all.

Any suggestions??

ps.....I just read the previous thread re: slice problems off the tee, so no need to reply unless you have something to add.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Can you describe the ball flight exactly? go left then curve right,or go straight right?

OP
L

love2golf

Aug 24, 2005
The ball flight will usually curve right, it will never go straight right

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Hm.. so you're saying the ball either comes off straight, then in mid-flight curves to the right, or does it come off left then curve to the right?

The later is alright, and might end up okay 90% of the time.

I'm fighting this myself, actually. What I've been doing is using my 3 wood instead, and now it seems like I can use my driver better. The best advice I can give is to accelerate through the downswing. Don't hit your top swing speed RIGHT AWAY. Accelerate gradually, so you can keep control over the club. See how it works out for you.

I golfed with a kid the other day who seemed to swing slowly compared to what I'd been doing, and he was KILLING the ball. I heard it cry once.

Lemme know how it turns out. I need to try it too :p

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
try this its a tip i use when i start hitting fades and slices.i also gave this tip to my partner today and the first shot he hit was straight.the last 3 holes he tryed it on he had better trajectory and a little more distance.

take your normal stance then envision a ball teed up just in front and outside of your ball and try to hit both balls the tee ball first then follow through and hit the imaginary ball.this will give you an in to out swing path promoteing a straight or draw swing motion.

imaginary ball--------------------O
tee ball-------------------------O

hope this helps you out

OP
L

love2golf

Aug 24, 2005
Thanks for the tips guys. I actually have the straightest and longest drives when I make a conscious effort to swing at an imaginary ball, as you noted. Another thing that I have tried to do to promote the in to out swing pattern is to imagine that I have a ball or loaf of bread or whatever under my right arm, and keeping my elbow close to my body to keep the ball from dropping out. I dont know if that is the right thing to do because it feels awkward when I do it, but I guess it may take some time to get used to it. Also, I don't really see any pros having that kind of swing pattern, so I don't know if that is the right way to go about trying to get the in to out swing or not. Any thoughts?

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Its a good tip,Leadbetter uses it,it promotes connection between arms and body.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
if youve ever seen Vijay on the range youll notice he uses the towel under the arm.

OP
L

love2golf

Aug 24, 2005
Good to hear.....makes me feel better about using that swing pattern. I have tried a couple times to keep someting under my arm just doing practice swings and I dont think I ever got it to stay once where I actually had a swing that felt good. I am going to try it on the range next time and see how it works.

🔥 Latest posts