• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slice? No thank you.

W

woodygolfer101

Hey

Woody here again, If you read my little topic in introduce yourself you'll have more of an idea where I'm coming from. Anyways I am 15 years old, fresmen in highschool, and on the hayward golf team. I need help getting rid of my slice I have been told that i have a few problems? First I am told that i don't bring my hands back and that they don't stay parralell with your line where your ball is going? how can i fix that? AND i am told i don't move my shoulders out before i hit the ball and that's part of it too? how do i fix that? It would be great if anybody can dexcribe to me a perfect swing and i start from there or anybody that knows any fix's would be much appreciated? Thanks. Woody

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Buy an old 5 iron, dont pay more than $15 for it.

Line up to take a swing with the toe of the club aginst a brick wall or something very solid. Now swing the club like normal. You will hit the wall a few times but then the stinging in your hands will alert the brain to find a way to not let it happen again. Your slice will disappear.
The only way to slice is to come over the top, swing outside to in. When you take the club outside aginst the wall you will hit it. Do this for a couple of weeks and the slice will be gone.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
He could be coming in straight and leaving the clubface open. That'll also cause a slice.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Yep. It's useless to start trying to fix what we can't see. Can you put some video of your swing up? We could speak a little more inteligently then.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Clubface open with an out-to-in swingpath will, by all means, slice the ball. Straight swingpath with an open clubface will fade it, and an in-out path with an open face will push it.

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Exactly crowe. I used to be a terrible slicer, it's a supr hard thign to fix because it can be caused by lots of things. My issue was the while I'd setup good and suare it leave my shoulders open. That caused an over the top swing path (in relation to how i set up0 no matter what. So I'd either hit a huge slice or pull it if i manged to close the face. It took a long tiem to figure that out, cause if i woudl swing slow and stop at impact the face was dead sqaure so i couldnt figure out what the deal, was. A pro friend of mine poitned it out during a round. and with very little effort the slice went away.

Morale fo the story, get a lesson, one maybe all you need.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
The only way to slice is using an out to in swing. The easiest way to fix it is to do the wall drill. There is no way you can cheat and most golfers can't see the outside motion so the wall will be their eyes.

I have seen this fix a slice in less than 5 minutes.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Wood,

Your best bet is to go take some lessons. They are worth their weight in gold if you get someone that can be your second set of eyes and see what you can't feel.

No one here can tell you what's wrong with your swing. Drills will help, but until you have a full understanding of your swing mechanics, it's going to be hard to fix.

Get a couple lessons. You'll be suprised how far you'll come in terms of adjusting your swing just from that.

Then, hit the range and learn your swing. That's the best way you'll ever figure things out. Making specific and detailed changes at this point is pretty tough. You'd be more apt to generalize your swing and learn the hell out of it before starting to worry about things like wrist cock, parallel, or buying a lob wedge (the hardest club to use in the bag effectively, by far).

I would have to think that just about everyone here has benefitted from lessons in one way or another. You can't lose.

Hope this helps,

R35

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Rock, you ass... I was just about to have him hit a 5 gallon bucket full of water with his 3 wood. Geez...

Ass.

edit: assenhaten.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If he gets the wrong teacher, that just might happen.... :p

R35

PS....i prefer the multi-national term "asshat", please and thank you....

OP
W

woodygolfer101

Okay thanks everybody,

I am on the golf team so I am around plenty of pro's one of my good friends dad owns a golf course and he's pretty good shoots little under par as a freshmen in highschool so he pretty good that is a 36 par course 9 holes anyways thanks I'll try the brick wall and 5 iron idea i like it thanks everybody for helpin out sorry I don't have a video of my swing but thanks anyways for everyone's help

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
woodygolfer101 said:
I'll try the brick wall.

Dude, use a tire or impact bag. Or at least find a building with cheap construction so you can beat your way into the house and make off with a few bucks to compensate for your injuries. :p

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
a pro will cure your slice in one lesson

then you need hours of practice

thats the only answer i'm afraid.?I used to hit 500 balls every day after school,and at least 2000 at weekends,work hard and the slice will go but for petes sake dont groove the slice,get a pro to fix it first

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.