• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slow play

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
We all see it, most of us hate it, but geeez why is there little to nothing done about it?

There should be a mandatory course given to all people who want to play golf about etiquette and ready golf. 5 hours 7 minutes yesterday behind 4 knuckleheads who thought it was coffee talk with an option to play golf. Marshalls are worthless on this course and I will never go back. We called the pro shop and asked for marshalls to come and do their job 3 times....never saw a marshall.

When I watch guys like Jim Furyk go through their 2-3 minute ritual before hitting a shot or putt, plumb bobbing, realigning their ball....I just puke. The garden variety golfer sees this and thinks this is what they need to do.

How is it that my usual group and I can walk 18 holes in under 3 hours? In carts we are maybe 10 minutes slower. It's because when we are waiting to putt we are doing things like reading the green and prepping for when it's our turn. Don't wait until it's your turn to putt to look around.....use your head and do all you can so when it's your turn you can roll it. If all 4 people do this simple task and you multiply it by 18 holes it's an eternity! Same thing with full shots.

Your position on the golf course is not in front of the group behind your, but behind the group in front of you.

Thanks for indulging my rant, but slow play is not just a local problem, but an epidemic all over the country. It's the primary reason I won't play public courses and stay at my place 99% of the time. If you are slow at my track you will either speed up or move b/c no one will play with you and the marshalls will boot you off after: 1 warning verbally, 2nd warning you pick up ball and move behind group in front of you, 3rd time you are pulled from the course.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
OK, another slow play thread. I'll go ahead and give you the "executive summary".

A couple of flat bellies will say they think a 3 hour round is OK.

A couple of other guys will say, that Marshalls don't do anything.

A couple of us older gents will say, relax we're going as fast as our old legs will carry us.

Eracer will be the voice of reason.

Claire will give us the ladies point of view.

Jeff will hit on Claire.

and somehow, we'll end up discussing Ezra's futon and Rock's sheep.

Did I miss anything?:laugh:

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
You forgot the one where every time this topic comes up the obvious slow players attack the people who state the obvious about the slow play culprits.

Wayneo

From the bunker
Dec 31, 2008
I'll chime in before we get too far off topic. My rounds last year were 3:10 minutes to 6 hours (bad rain). I think the 4 1/2 hour round is usual. Both rounds were with no one anywhere in sight, so it's not like we were rushing to keep up, or ahead of the group behind. That was the last time I played with the 6 hour guys. It just f$%^&d up my game. Waiting, waiting, waiting.

Ready golf is the way to play. Do all you can before it's your turn, and if you're ready before it's your turn, shoot.

PS. In the 6 hour round, the Manager actually called the cops on us for trespassing. Long story.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
OK, another slow play thread. I'll go ahead and give you the "executive summary".

A couple of us older gents will say, relax we're going as fast as our old legs will carry us.

Jeff will hit on Claire.

That about sums it up.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I don't think this is a topic where we'll ever achieve consensus.

It's probably easier to move on to easier issues, like solving the Middle East conflict. ;)

OP
R

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I don't think this is a topic where we'll ever achieve consensus.

It's probably easier to move on to easier issues, like solving the Middle East conflict. ;)

Yea I think that is a safe bet. One thing our course does which really works out well, with the exception of a few sour pusses: The guys who play ready golf get the sun up, early a.m. tee times. That way we can play at our pace and the slow pokes don't get all flustered b/c there are 4 guys walking in circles waiting on them. They have more fun b/c they are not rushed, we blow through in 2:45 and are happy as well. There are 2 guys who want to tee off at sun up, but they take 2:30 per side and won't let anyone through....oh well take it up with the club house.

Most of the ready golfers like the early times for some reason anyway so it works great. We have some slow guys who like to tee off early too, but as soon as they see us they wave and we are long gone and off the green in a few minutes.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Rock's sheep and Ezra's futon. That gives me a headache.

I think I'll have a Shiner Bock for breakfast.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006

Jeff will hit on Claire.

LMAO! That is about perfect.

Mr Happy

Oct 17, 2008

Jeff will hit on Claire.

Someone will say Tiger is greatest golfer ever and that scotty cameron putters suck and Wi golfer will post something not even close to thread topic.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Mmmmmm Whiskey....

I knew Mr. Happy would be in here....his favorite type of thread...Hey buddy!

Oh hey claire....how you doin? Come here often? Nice shoes wanna oh nevermind...

BTW...EPIC THREAD

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
We all see it, most of us hate it, but geeez why is there little to nothing done about it?

There should be a mandatory course given to all people who want to play golf about etiquette and ready golf. 5 hours 7 minutes yesterday behind 4 knuckleheads who thought it was coffee talk with an option to play golf. Marshalls are worthless on this course and I will never go back. We called the pro shop and asked for marshalls to come and do their job 3 times....never saw a marshall.

Problem is, we all agree but there is nothing that can be done about it. You have two choices, join a private club or quit golf. Public courses are concerned with one thing, making money. That's why they stack the tee times 4 minutes apart and by the 1st par 3 it's a mad traffic jam.

Staff online

Members online