• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slow Play

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Please post a picture! That would give me a better idea of how much trouble I would be in....

;)

Scott

Me or my girl?
icon10.gif
Me, see avatar.

Seriously though, I flip a little when getting hit on top of. I had a neighbor growing up who had gotten clunked by a ball, he was similar to a stroke victim, paralyzed on one side of his body, tended to drool a lot.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
One thing everyone I play with does is to play "ready golf". We don't worry about who's away, or who has the honor. Whoever is ready steps up and hits. If I'm on the opposite side of the the fairway from one of my opponents, we will both be doing our thing at the same time. Nothing in the rules says that 2 balls can't be in the air at the once.... :emot-ange

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
..... I might be out playing a quick round by myself and a foursome or two in front of me will not let me play thru when they are being held up by the slower group in front of them. They will say things like "We would let you play thru but you wouldn't be able to go anywhere..." I think to myself ...hmm you are letting them play the entire hole before you tee off.. of course they aren't concerned with holding anyone up because they have no idea...... but if you would let a single go ahead and play thru I can catch them and play thru them also... All the while they ware worried about being a foursome, and they know they can't play thru the slower group, also a foursome, but don't want to be slowed further waiting on the slower group to waiting on me to play thru..

C-bogey
C-bogey. what you seem to be saying is if everyone got off the course you could play right on thru and be happy?

My complaint is twosomes and singles that wont join up. if it is crowded I always offer to let other join with me or my partners if we dont total four allready. And if its pretty empty and open up ahead I am always pleased to let a single play thru. But if my foursum is waiting on the foursum ahead who is waiting on the foursum in front of them all twelve of us should step aside so you can play thru?? I dont think so.
But I blame the course for that. They need good starters that keep it grouped according to busyness of the course.

My dad says singles have no rights to play thru on the course (but nice golfers allow it as a courtesy) . and he plays about 60% of the time as a single. If the course is wide open except for two groups ahead of you then as a single you should cut thru the woods and skip a hole or two, shortcut back later to fill in the missed holes. Thats what he does. and he is a walker. and 84 years old.

I feel for you having to wait as a single. but you should assume that will be the case when you go out as single. often and almost always on a weekend a single is the one out of pace. Sorry, but life's tough.

I am all in favor of a quick play and ready golf. If I am on the green and you skull your pitch over the green I am going to putt while you walk accross the green to your ball. And like ezra, nothing kills me more than watching a guy take forever to study the breaks in the green and line up a chip from 30' off only to watch him knuckleball it over and past by 35' and go thru the whole rigamarole all over again.

Jun 24, 2006
Now another thing is carts. Some say they speed up play? No way, they slow it way down with a foursome. When walking I'm at my ball, ready to hit as soon as the further player out hits. With a cart the guy whose 1st goes through his selection/routine, hits, puts club away, drive across to where the other player hit, he does the same thing. IMO it takes almost twice as long as my partner and I splitting ways on foot and meeting at the green.

This only happens with people that don’t know how to play proper cart golf. What you explained is improper cart golf. I find that people that use a cart often know how to go about things in a manner that actually does speed things up. Such as:

Get to first ball in the cart, both players get out. The guy Who is about to hit gets ready to hit and the other guy grabs a couple clubs he thinks he might need and heads off to his ball.(as long as it's not in front of the other players and he is in no danger of being hit.).

Another thing I see good cart golfers do is when one person hits a pitch or chip around the green they take there wedge and putter out of the bag and hits. The other person in the cart should take the cart and place it between the green and the next tee of he is already on the green.

If people just played ready golf, slow play would be a much smaller problem with today’s game.

Plus these idiots that think the have to find out if it's 143 to the pin or 146. f off and hit ur top flite in the bunker 15 yards short of the green already, I'm waiting on the tee. But fix your damn divot.

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
There seems to be a double standard at my course. The guys that will bitch about slow play the most are the worst when they have their 4 somes on the weekends. Because they are "Veterans" they will take there sweet ol time with their buddies but if they are by themselves and in a hurry on a weekday they will be on your heels the whole round. Another thing that really tee's me off is the ignorance when a group is playing on your heels and they are assumming that your group is holding them up and won't let them through. If I know there are 3 or 4 other 4 -somes ahead of me I'm not going to keep letting groups go ahead of me. It becomes a bottle jam and I'll be there all day.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Haha, some guy because he was a single assumed he had "the right" to play through my friend and me one day on #5 because we were playing semi slowly and taking our time with extra putts/chips and such. He hit INTO us, and said thx for letting me through.... We just said you can join us if youd like, but your not playing through. Well him, steamed, just sat on the side of the green till we putted out and left. We went off and kept playing at our same pace, turned out he called the proshop and the starter came out to see us, he was in disbelief because he's a good friend of ours, knows were both good golfers and not slow at all. We explained wat the guy did, and that there were 7 straight 4somes ahead of us, but we tried to say it to the guy but he was too steamed about us not letting him play through.

My friend and i adjusted our pace so we were 1/2 hole behind because we werent going anywhere fast at all.. So we took our time and enjoyed the beautiful day.

We nvr heard from the guy again until at the proshop after the round where we were talkin with the starter and the shopkeep. He comes in hollering those two KIDS (he emphisized kids) dont have the right to be out here, there should be restrictions because KIDS (again emphasized) have NO RESPECT. My friend (an angry type) took a step towards him, i pulled him back, then the starter and shopkeep just tell him to leave, that both these KIDS as he said, have a lot more respect then he did and that we would both beat him up and down the course blindfolded:)

It was nice being backed up by those guys, who didnt hesitate at all by kicking this guy outta there. They said they didnt need that one jerks green fee anyways:)

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Haha, some guy because he was a single assumed he had "the right" to play through my friend and me one day on #5 because we were playing semi slowly and taking our time with extra putts/chips and such. He hit INTO us, and said thx for letting me through.... We just said you can join us if youd like, but your not playing through. Well him, steamed, just sat on the side of the green till we putted out and left. We went off and kept playing at our same pace, turned out he called the proshop and the starter came out to see us, he was in disbelief because he's a good friend of ours, knows were both good golfers and not slow at all. We explained wat the guy did, and that there were 7 straight 4somes ahead of us, but we tried to say it to the guy but he was too steamed about us not letting him play through.

My friend and i adjusted our pace so we were 1/2 hole behind because we werent going anywhere fast at all.. So we took our time and enjoyed the beautiful day.

We nvr heard from the guy again until at the proshop after the round where we were talkin with the starter and the shopkeep. He comes in hollering those two KIDS (he emphisized kids) dont have the right to be out here, there should be restrictions because KIDS (again emphasized) have NO RESPECT. My friend (an angry type) took a step towards him, i pulled him back, then the starter and shopkeep just tell him to leave, that both these KIDS as he said, have a lot more respect then he did and that we would both beat him up and down the course blindfolded:)

It was nice being backed up by those guys, who didnt hesitate at all by kicking this guy outta there. They said they didnt need that one jerks green fee anyways:)
Should have given him a closeup of your sand wedge, right before it clocks him! That's serious disrespect, we never, ever have a round over 4 1/2 hours and it's usually 3 to 3 1/2

C-bogey

Dec 29, 2006
Deer Park, Tx
Dougin,

I am only refering to slow play... Not waiting because I am a single. You are very correct about the fact that as a single you should be willing to join up with others and I often do. Also as a single you should expect to wait. I am not talking about trying to rush the normal pace of play in any way. I am talking about slooooowwwww play only. On the other hand I also let a faster paced group play thru if my group is playing slower. I think it kind of works both ways. I don't believe anyone here is talking about not beink kind to others, or having unrealistic expectations.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
NP c-bogey.

And while we are bitching about slow play my pet peeve is people who finish the hole and get in the cart beside the green and then sit there while they mark the score card, grab a beer and dink around. get the heck out of the way and do the fooling around at the next tee box.

C-bogey

Dec 29, 2006
Deer Park, Tx
No doubt! I don't even put my club in the bag till I get to the next tee box, so that I can clean it off and put it where it belongs. I am kind of anal about my bag.

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
Slow play is the worst thing about golf

ever since I started playing the SPORT. Unfortunately, there has always been lots of people talking about the problem, but nothing much has happened.

When does a beginner get an introduction to golf etiquette that includes playing at a satisfactory pace? How many courses have such information clearly posted? The truth is that people are left to just sort of pick up on that on their own, and some never do. They are completely ignorant sometimes through no fault of their own, and if someone comes down on them pretty hard, it should not surprise us that they do not make the necessary changes immediately. In fact, I think some of them resist and even play slower.

How often do course marshalls do what they are suppose to about slow play? Congratulations if your's do! Marshalls have tended to be a joke wherever I have played that had marshalls. They seem to just like riding around a cart all day with the occasional break for snacks and lunch.

Professionals sometimes set horrible examples about the pace of play. Here again, how often are the slow ones put on the clock? Go to an event like a qualifier for the Senior Amateur, you better keep pace because they are very strict about the clock. Old Burn Hard Longer has picked up his speed perhaps when he realized his slow play was in voilation of the Christian faith. Even Sergio stopped milking his grip nineteen times, and got the number down to five or six good ones. But just when these two get it better, here comes Phil with something like a wardance around the cup before putting a three footer. And Jim Furyk teaches us to line up the putt, address the ball, and then go back and line it up again. I am seeing Phil and Jim methods being used around here, and I think it stinks. Monkey see; monkep do.

The saddest thing about this whole business is that probably every single person who plays this game can score better when they play at a reasonable pace whether they walk or ride.

Unfortunately, the odds of someday having this problem corrected are about the same as someday having world peace. I would think that most people would benefit from that too, but for whatever reason, it just does not come about.

Hey, I am not as down as that sounded. My last five iron shot stopped two inches from the cup. You got to take the sweet with the bitter.

Sincerely, Cypressperch

ol-crank

Oct 28, 2006
don't get me wrong here but this is a sample of

questions on a Dutch test in order to get a license or permit of some kind to play on their private, or public courses, (all 80 of them). I met a couple from Holland on holidays and they told me that you can't just go and play golf without learning the rules, theory and etiquette.
http://home.tiscali.nl/roelf/rb/non_error_404_exam_page_found_ok.htm
I know it would never work here but it's rather interesting.

Have you ever arrived to play as a twosome, and been put with another twosome that plays too slow and you end up looking like an a$$hole beacuse you are stuck with them?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.