• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slow Play

bigred

Nov 22, 2006
Is there anything more annoying than playing behind a group that will not let you play through? Even worse, you are 2 or 3 holes behind them and there's no way to catch them to go through. I've been so frustrated at times I've actually said "screw it" and gone to the house. I've even quit and waited for them to finish so I could educate them on proper etiquette but it doesn't seem to sink in 'cause I see them doing the same thing all over again later. There never seems to be a marshall or ranger around when you need one.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Is there anything more annoying than playing behind a group that will not let you play through? Even worse, you are 2 or 3 holes behind them and there's no way to catch them to go through. I've been so frustrated at times I've actually said "screw it" and gone to the house. I've even quit and waited for them to finish so I could educate them on proper etiquette but it doesn't seem to sink in 'cause I see them doing the same thing all over again later. There never seems to be a marshall or ranger around when you need one.

The comment I set in bold confuses me. If you are 3 holes behind, how can THEY be playing slow?

C-bogey

Dec 29, 2006
Deer Park, Tx
I totally agree! What I hate is when I might be out playing a quick round by myself and a foursome or two in front of me will not let me play thru when they are being held up by the slower group in front of them. They will say things like "We would let you play thru but you wouldn't be able to go anywhere..." I think to myself ...hmm you are letting them play the entire hole before you tee off.. of course they aren't concerned with holding anyone up because they have no idea...... but if you would let a single go ahead and play thru I can catch them and play thru them also... All the while they ware worried about being a foursome, and they know they can't play thru the slower group, also a foursome, but don't want to be slowed further waiting on the slower group to waiting on me to play thru.. Whew... I know that may be hard to follow... But just a 'lil venting. I try to squeeze a quick round in at my Muni. where I have a membership and it gets understandably slow at times!

Hit 'em straight!

C-bogey

OP
B

bigred

Nov 22, 2006
The comment I set in bold confuses me. If you are 3 holes behind, how can THEY be playing slow?
Because they have groups backed up between them and me. I can't get through what's in front of me 'cause they can't get through the group holding them everyone else up.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yes, there is something that annoys me worse. When I am waiting for the group in front and the group behind insists on playing right on my heels. If I am driven on top of I keep it real simple... "Thanks for the ball dude". I picked up a nice new Callway HX-tour last year, put it in my pocket and got a real kick out of watching the bozo search for it. Just about everything else is forgivable... try to intentionally hit me with a golf ball, we're fightin like you just F'ed my girlfriend.
icon10.gif

C-bogey

Dec 29, 2006
Deer Park, Tx
I understand that too! And in no way did I intend to imply someone should hit on another group... Not sure if that is what you understood me to say. But waiting for some one to put out on a long par 4 or a par 5 before you tee off is on the rediculose side too.. Especially if you are in a foursome and it would speed up a miserably slow round. I would never hit if I thought another group was reachable even on a freekishly long shot..

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
In the fall I got stuck behind a guy that wouldn't let me through, he hit his 3 drives on 15 and started up the side, so I hit mine, and his were out around 120-130, mine came to rest around 280, this guy still had at least 3 iron shots per ball to get to the green the way he was hitting, but no he picked up all three balls and then walked over to the par 3 16th hole a got right back in front of me, I was full on livid, then he tried to report me when we got back in. Ha, at least there I got him, me being a regular him being a newb.

C-bogey

Dec 29, 2006
Deer Park, Tx
Have you ever been stacked 3 groups deep sitting at the tee box with the other two groups just waiting and the group that is supposedly holding everyone up is putting the flag back in the cup and going to the next tee box? and the hole is not a par 3...

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
You really shouldnt be angry because of slow play or it will affect your game.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Because they have groups backed up between them and me. I can't get through what's in front of me 'cause they can't get through the group holding them everyone else up.

Gotcha!

In that situation, if I'm in the group nearest them I'll be giving them an earful every time we get close enough to talk. At the turn, I'd go the starter and let him know the problem. It's amazing how being publicly humiliated over the PA system can change the pace of play for some people. For others, all you can do is suck it up. Since 99% of my play is on public courses, I deal with it all the time. The rangers on our district courses are called "players' assistants", and aren't allowed to piss off the paying customers (which is all of us, so I don't really know what district board is thinking here). They can suggest that a group speed it up, but there really is no penalty if they are ignored.

The men's club instituted it's own slow play policy several years ago and we get penalized 2 strokes if we don't make the pace set down in our own local rule. It has a provision so that groups following a slow 4some won't get penalized for the other players' pace. We rarely have a tournament round run longer than about 4:20 any more. :)

C-bogey

Dec 29, 2006
Deer Park, Tx
Very true! It is something I have gotten used to. I constantly to work on my patience (sp?) And when it happens I just sit back and relax. I don't get angry anymore, but it is still nice to vent about every once in a while.. lol

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I understand that too! And in no way did I intend to imply someone should hit on another group... Not sure if that is what you understood me to say. But waiting for some one to put out on a long par 4 or a par 5 before you tee off is on the rediculose side too.. Especially if you are in a foursome and it would speed up a miserably slow round. I would never hit if I thought another group was reachable even on a freekishly long shot..

No, I didn't think that's what you implied. It is the one thing that bothers me more though. Well, getting stuck playing with slow players drives me nuts too. If a player uses his ballmarker twice on the same green, that's too slow. I don't even carry a ballmarker. Slow putters drive me nuts. I accept the fact that a lot of cheaper courses I play will have worse players that take longer, based purely on the fact they are shooting 110+. Better players should know better.

Now another thing is carts. Some say they speed up play? No way, they slow it way down with a foursome. When walking I'm at my ball, ready to hit as soon as the further player out hits. With a cart the guy whose 1st goes through his selection/routine, hits, puts club away, drive across to where the other player hit, he does the same thing. IMO it takes almost twice as long as my partner and I splitting ways on foot and meeting at the green.

C-bogey

Dec 29, 2006
Deer Park, Tx
You are right about that ezra! When everyone can go to their ball and not wait for someone else to hit before they go to their ball (if they can safely of course) it greatly speeds up the pace of play. I agree.

C-bogey

🔥 Latest posts