• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slow progression to X flexes??

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
I just realized that I have slowly become an x flex player. Not a genuine swing speed x flex but control, accuracy and confidence from going to x flexes. The only clubs that aren't are the irons and putter.

How many of you like the feel of x flex shafts but aren't a meathead?

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
i was using x flex for the first part of this year. I'm slowly switching to R and not fighting the right side of the field any more. i loved the feel but i would over swing and i lost the control that the x gives you. my swing speed is average 105 so i should be using stiff. i say if you can score better then thats what I'd go with.

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
I agree. Whatever you can hit works for you. My SS is average 108 to 110 so i am borderline x flex but my driver is only a 65g stiff and my 3 wood is a regular flex shaft and i hit them both pretty good 265 driver and 230 3 wood!

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I just got my first driver with an Xflex shaft and i love it so far...maybe its just the shafts profile, but it fits me much better than my old S flex's did.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I had an R5 Dual TP with Diamana BB X-flex in it and it felt great and I could hit it straight. Just lost some yards though and have since went down to regular flex with much better results. But I've learned from that R5 that I wouldn't lose 20 yards like some fear. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I can hit an X flex if I want to, but I prefer to work the ball a bit more and go with the S. I also prefer a little softer in my irons.

But the vast majority of what I consider "stiff" is utterly useless to most guys anyways. :D

I remember when WBL bought a Launcher with a Graf Blue Tour tipped 0.5". He promptly sold it. I never should have sold that driver, I could kill that thing.:dead:

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I thought I sent that driver back to you? Then you sold it to someone else? :confused:

I could hit it but it was really a low trajectory..... :D

Needed about 20 more mph swing speed I think. :)

Much stiffer then the X-flex Diamana BB in the R5 Dual TP... Definitely a BOARD!!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Twofast has all Xflex in his clubs. I seem to hit them well in the irons, possibly better or at least equal to S300's. I've hit a lot of fairway woods with X and hit them pretty well, have also hit them with regular and just as good. I have pretty heavily tipped stiff in both the fairway woods now and very happy with both. Driver is like whatever. I can't hit the damn thing with any shaft. If anything I seem to get the high blocks worse with the R flex's I've hit. It's just my crappy OTT, drop the shoulder block. I have almost a "reverse release" when it's bad and the clubface opens more through impact instead of turning over.

I actually hit this 8.5* 905R Twofast had with an XXflex in it and piped it up the middle. Low trajectory but right up the gut. It's just the swing for me really. I'm so inconsistant with a driver there is really no help in fitting one. I could show up one day and look like I need a draw bias 11* with a soft tipped R and 2 days later need a 9.5* with 1* open face and an X. I've hit drivers on monitors many times with crazy number differences from 92-114mph. SS and 7*-17* launch angles.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Love the X. Switched to an X flex driver a few years ago and went from long and wrong to a long and (mostly) straight. Put Project X 6.5s (X flex) in my irons last summer and really improved my ballstriking, especially with the mid and long irons.

Used to be into the 120s with driver swing speed and now am more in the high teens, so that doesn't exactly jive with the first post. However, I've noticed that a lot of Tour players swing a bit slower than me and use 7.0 flex Project X shafts, which are stiffer. So maybe that makes some sense.

Went to stiffer shafts when I slowed down. Always listened to bad clubfitters that recommended softer shafts. Found the right guy, got the right set. Who would have known?

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I just realized that I have slowly become an x flex player. Not a genuine swing speed x flex but control, accuracy and confidence from going to x flexes. The only clubs that aren't are the irons and putter.

How many of you like the feel of x flex shafts but aren't a meathead?

I play Rifle 6.0's......not quite X, but stiffer than a standard stiff 5.5. Driver swing speed is about 105 which could almost go to a regular in some schools of thought. Irons are my game and I realized a few yards less with teh 6.0's, but much tighter dispersion. I use regular shafts on my wedges for extra spin...PW, GW, SW and LW.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I've got x flex shafts in all my clubs except the wedges. Getting fitted and getting the correct shafts in my clubs was a huge piece of the puzzle for me. I've gone from a 25 to a 15 in the last two years.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
I've got x flex shafts in all my clubs except the wedges. Getting fitted and getting the correct shafts in my clubs was a huge piece of the puzzle for me. I've gone from a 25 to a 15 in the last two years.

if you laid off a bit when you swang i bet youd go from a 15 to a 7 with stiffs lol

last year at 18 was the first year i decided an X was the way to go in terms of the driver, while getting fitted we noticed all S flexs ballooned hard and had lots of backspin, not exactly what i wanted
at one point i was hitting a bang o matic 9* with a XX shaft until it snapped, want to talk about swinging like an animal, too much work!
moving to X was a bad decision IMO, it just encouraged me to swing harder because i knew i would be able to get away with it most of the time
after not swinging all winter it was tough to get back in the routine and trying to lock and load the vista pro X in a 7.5 driver...i decided to go back to a S
picked up a mizuno mp001 with a stiff exsar and a cobra pro speed D (same driver i had last year) but with a stock vs proto. best decision i made
little draw on both down the pipe, im hitting 85+% of fairways which is helping me dramatically lower my scores, but then again, im swinging 80% not 110% like last year, i still have an X sitting in the garage i use on the range but id rather swing softer and smoother and hit the fairway than rip at it and get the block going every now and then
my irons have s300s that have been tipped half inch and then extended half inch out the butt to make them a tad bit stiffer and my other set has 6.0s which i really dont care for, never really liked rifles
IMO, when i can stiff a 80% iron shot why would i want to try and club down and swing 100%?

the only real advantage i saw between a X and S was the X allowed me to get away with a bit more, kept the flight from ballooning and tighter dispersion but much harder to work the ball

OP
spartyon8

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
the only real advantage i saw between a X and S was the X allowed me to get away with a bit more, kept the flight from ballooning and tighter dispersion but much harder to work the ball

This is where it has helped my game. I don't have as many errant shots. I can take a loss in yardage as long as it goes where it is intended to go. Right now, that is where my confidence has disappeared to.

buykrux

May 15, 2009
This is where it has helped my game. I don't have as many errant shots. I can take a loss in yardage as long as it goes where it is intended to go. Right now, that is where my confidence has disappeared to.

see it helped me for about 2 weeks until i had this great idea that said "hey lets swing harder, the balls going straight so lets see if we can get more out of it" and there went the game...after coming back to the stiff 6 weeks ago i cant be more happier
nice penetrating ball flight with a nice draw on it, every now and then i get a bit quick and snap one but overall i am pleased with the stiffs once again, and im alot less tired after the round :D

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have tried everything from X flex to L flex and honestly have seen next to no difference on the golf course. Maybe 10 yards in distance and a few feet in height. I now play everything soft because they FEEL better, thats it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.