• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Slumps

Bossman641

Jan 10, 2007
I'm going through my first major slump of the year. It's been building up for the past 2 weeks and I'm now at my low point. I feel uncomfortable over the ball, I'm not striking it well at all, and my driving is awful. The thing is, I even know what I'm doing, I'm getting way too vertical on my backswing, not shifting my weight properly and not hitting through the ball at all. My swing just feels so out of synch. I even went to the range last night and things got a little better, but I'm still nowhere near my normal swing.

How do you handle a slump? Do you try and play through it, or just take a few days off and go from there?

I'm thinking I'll try again today and then just take 3-4 days off.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If you're like me you're just trying too hard. Relax, hit the ball (good or bad) and just let it play itself out. I was in the same boat but played good again last night (other then putting)... :)

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
I think warbirdlover hit it on the head. You can't try to do too much when swingng. You just have to let your swing come naturally. You can't think too much. Just let it happen. Sometimes when playing I will look down at the scorecard and say wow I just hit 5 of 6 greens and I did not even realize it. That is the best feeling.

APowell1990

Jan 6, 2006
I try to think of everything I can and give them ALL a try. Playing with a slightly different grip, take it back further, shorter, etc

jambalaya

Geaux Tigers
Aug 6, 2007
I have a friend who I play with regularly who has been on about a six month slump. It's awful to watch. He finally took a lesson this week. Try some things and hopefully you will pull out of it. Maybe a lot of work on the short game rather than the pressure of full swings might get you kick started.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
If you can find a GOOD pro (one who doesn't get over technical) they can usually find your flaw(s) and give you some drills to fix them. :)

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
How do you handle a slump? Do you try and play through it, or just take a few days off and go from there?

I'm thinking I'll try again today and then just take 3-4 days off.

I experienced a "mini-slump" yesterday and packed it in and went home without finishing the round.

Started the round with a birdie and ended up with a 42 on the front nine.

The "mini-slump" started immediately on the back nine.
#10...par 3...shot 5.
#11...par 4...shot 7.
#12...par 5...shot 8.
#13...par 3...shot 6.
#14...drive into the fairway, 2nd shot into the lake, dropped for 3, 4th shot over the lake and over the green into the woods (lost ball). Removed glove, drove home, parked cart in shed, opened beer, and contemplated why golf is a four letter word. :faintthud

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online