• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smacked a deer today.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
We finally had our first freeze, down here, last night. The deer have been moving a little the past month. My short drive from hotel to work, this morning, I saw about a half dozen. On Monday mornings, I leave the house ~4 a.m. 2 hour drive and I'm already dreading this time of year.... just due to the deer.

I hit one with my 2004 a few years ago. Have had some close calls since. Just don't want to mess up my 2008. But, nothing you can do about it. I guess that's why I keep paying insurance premiums.

Glad you're okay, Wi!!!!!!

johnnymo

Jun 18, 2010
Is that legal in other states? Here in I-dee-ho, we arent allowed to do that (keep a deer/elk that you may have hit on the road). You're just supposed to drag the carcass off to the side, and report it to F&G.

Same thing here in California except most counties are so broke that roadkill is no longer picked up. It is still illegal to take a deer you hit home so you leave it and the illegal immigrants pick it up after tossing out broken tvs, matresses, refridgerators, and any lawn clippings / brush the cut while doing yardwork for what amounts to $4.00 an hour under the table, onto the roadside.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
at least it wasn't one of these!

46243_1191201418846_1192680039_30865898_6977979_n.jpg

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Is that legal in other states? Here in I-dee-ho, we arent allowed to do that (keep a deer/elk that you may have hit on the road). You're just supposed to drag the carcass off to the side, and report it to F&G.

In Wisconsin, you can call the legal authorities in the area of which you hit the deer, they will come out and issue you a 'Car Kill Tag' and you are allowed to take the deer. If the driver does not want it, anyone on scene at the time of the kill may take it if they want it.

If no one takes it right at that time, the deer is marked(sometimes) and no one can take it. Eventually it might get picked up...depending on how ambitious the crew is and how many pieces the deer is in.

My wife hit one the very first time she drove out to my parents house. She smoked a 150ish lb doe. Ironically, when she called me, i was shoulder deep in another deer quartering it out and didn't answer my phone. She had to call a friend of mine to go get her. One of the biggest does I've ever seen @ 60mph cruise control in her Cavalier. Never even touched the brakes. Killed it, and we didn't find any bloodshot meet at all.

Gutted it right there on the side of the road, pouring rain, cars driving by. I can only imagine what some of those cars were thinking...i've got this doe on her back, and i'm in between her hind legs and bloody from the elbows down...lol

On another note, i saw 14 deer this morning in various fields. Listening to the scanner last night, every single officer on duty in the county was at a Vehicle vs. deer and there were several other accidents in the queue from about 6pm-9pm or so. As soon as they cleared from the scene they would get sent to the next one.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
On another note, i saw 14 deer this morning in various fields. Listening to the scanner last night, every single officer on duty in the county was at a Vehicle vs. deer and there were several other accidents in the queue from about 6pm-9pm or so. As soon as they cleared from the scene they would get sent to the next one.

The rut really makes deer crazy this time of year. These bucks are blind to anything other than tail...kind of reminds me of myself a few years back.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Looking at this one pretty heavily....looks really easy and prep time is short.

Got lots of roasts in the freezer from the half beef we just bought so i might as well try it, i'll let you know how it turns out.

Probably do it this weekend sometime.

This recipe is pretty good...it just doesn't have enough of the Italian beef flavor i was looking for. However, its very easy to make, and it is good.

The only problem is, the meat just falls apart, you can't cut it into thin strips(which i somewhat expected after being in the slow cooker for 12 hours). I want thin strips of meat and a good flavorful broth. So i'm going to roast the meat next time, slice it up and cook it in a tasty broth....

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
dude that sucks i just hit a doe and crushed the front of my Exterra waiting to here fromthe garage to find out the damagei am guessing 4-5 grand.

hope you got it fixed by your ins.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
dude that sucks i just hit a doe and crushed the front of my Exterra waiting to here fromthe garage to find out the damagei am guessing 4-5 grand.

hope you got it fixed by your ins.

Frickin deer!!! Giant rats is all they are & deserve to be eradicated from the face of the earth. Hope all works out well for you too, post pics if you have em. And yep ins has been very cool & super easy to work with. Goes in on the 15th to be repaired.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Frickin deer!!! Giant rats is all they are & deserve to be eradicated from the face of the earth. Hope all works out well for you too, post pics if you have em. And yep ins has been very cool & super easy to work with. Goes in on the 15th to be repaired.

I'll be working on it later this month!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.