• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Small putter comparison.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Hit Golf Galaxy today after my range session, figured I would take a look at some putters. Stuck strictly to the used ones & played with a lot of them. Would line up 3-4 balls & attempt to hit them into a cup about 12' away. Tried a couple Oddessy's, Pings, TM's, etc. Some felt too heavy & awkward & definitely didn't care for any of the mallet style ones.

Kept coming back to 3 that I would keep hitting over & over. Taylor Mades Imola 8, a pretty well worn Scotty Newport2 & a Ping Karsten which had that weird slot in it. For looks it was the TM by a wide margin as both of the others were maybe a 4 on a scale of 1-10. For weight & the way the club felt while swinging it I would have to give the edge to the Scotty. I can almost understand the fanatacism surrounding those clubs because it did feel pretty damn good to swing. The TM came in 2nd with the Ping bringing up the rear.

I had pretty much decided that whichever club sank 3 putts in a row 1st would be the one I took home. It was a narrow victory for the TM with the Scotty in 2nd & the Ping in 3rd. In all honesty I don't think I could have picked the Ping though even if it had dropped the balls 1st. The sound coming from the club because of that goofy slot is annoying.

The TM Rossa Imola feels real nice & relativley light, the club swings easily & even the balls that didn't drop in the cup were within mere inches or lipped out. I think I will be happy with this one for awhile but can certainly see myself picking up a Scotty in much better condition some day.

BTW price had absoutley nothing to do with my decision. The Scotty was $100, the TM was $70 & the Ping was $30..or maybe it was $40.

The 1st pic is off the web & shows that weird slot in the Ping. The other pics are of my actual club.
karstencogp.jpg
DSC04055.jpg
DSC04058.jpg
DSC04056.jpg

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
I've got that same Imola 8, and I think it's a great putter. IMO a little easier to align than my XG #9, which is itself a very fine putter. I like the way that the Imola swings; very easy to make a gated swing, whereas I had to "force" a straight-back-straight-thru stroke with the #9. Also, the Imola's face isn't as "mushy" as the XG. I put it in play a couple of times after I got it, and distance was much easier to gauge.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online