• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Smart phones

Do you use a smart phone?

• Iphone

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Blackberry

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Android

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still use a candlestick and an operator

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I want to know what you use for a cell phone.
I'm experimenting with some new site gadgetry so humor me will ya?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I don't have a smart phone, but my wife has the iPhone. I make fun of her for having one, but truth be told it has come in handy several times. Mapquest has an app that is basically a GPS unit, which is cool. Our bank has a mobile app and frankly there are more things that the phone is useful for than I ever thought. Apparently there are some GPS golf apps that you can download to, I have checked them out but none have courses in VT that are mapped, so no point. At least that was the case about a yr ago when I looked.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I'm on the site right now with my motorola droid 2 running android 2.2. Everything works great. The site has been taking a long time to load on here as well as my computer-- much longer than it seems it should, but everything functions exactly as it is supposed to.

But, this is the most functional and impressive mobile device I've ever seen. Full internet, including adobe flash that has not ever failed to load anything so far. Thus, I am not surprised.

OP
Slingblade61

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
many of those people will map the course you want if you make the request.
I got teedroid to do a couple for me.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
I'm on the site right now with my motorola droid 2 running android 2.2. Everything works great. The site has been taking a long time to load on here as well as my computer-- much longer than it seems it should, but everything functions exactly as it is supposed to.

But, this is the most functional and impressive mobile device I've ever seen. Full internet, including adobe flash that has not ever failed to load anything so far. Thus, I am not surprised.

this site is slow on any machine i use, home, work, stores i go to.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I use a Blackberry just because it was like $300 cheaper than the Iphone, but I would change to a high end android or Iphone without doubt.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I use a Blackberry just because it was like $300 cheaper than the Iphone, but I would change to a high end android or Iphone without doubt.

Can you talk to my wife about cost??? We are coming up on our "renewal" for our contract with AT&T. It's 3 months b4 the actual 2 yr anniversary but I understand why they do it. She is going to want the newest version of the iphone and I am not sure I want to spend the $$$ that it will require.

For me, I have had an LG Shine for almost 2 yrs now and frankly other than the screen being a bit beat up, I can't see a reason to change. It does everything I ask it to. I can take/make calls, it has voicemail and will take the occasional pic of my Daughter when she does something cute.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
The wife and I have BB's and we're not impressed. Our service is through alltel. service is lousy getting on the internet and we have both had problems with our phones.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Blackberry is so far behind android phones it is actually humorous.

Bigjim, you'd be surprised how much more you can get out of a device than the lg shine. It does what you want it to, yes, but the mobile market now has devices (like mine) that do things you didn't even know you wanted.

With AT&T, you can look into the new Samsung galaxy-s platform phone. I don't know what their nickname for it is. Maybe the" captivate". Same as the Verizon fascinate.

In any case, if you're happy with your service and dont mind signing the contract, 199 for a device as magnificent as mine (which i'm posting from right now) is not too bad at all. Go Verizon and you can probably BOGO a high end smartphone.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I have a Motorola Droid X.

It's friggin' fantastic.. Huge screen, Verizon service, and the thing is flat out BLAZING when it does anything. Web browsing is easy, all the apps I have work flawless.

I could almost just about ditch my computer at home, and get by more than fine using my Droid X.

My girlfriend has had iPhone since they came out.. She's switching to Android currently.. It's just that much better than iPhone, not to mention better than AT&T's shitty service.

WelshGolfer

aka Grand-Master-Duff
Jun 7, 2005
I don't use a SmartPhone at present, but my Wife has the HTC Desire running Android Froyo (2.2?). I played with it a bit while setting it up the way she likes it and must say it is quite impressive.

As stated, the browser is very good and will display everything I have tried so far. There are an abundance of apps for entertainment, lifestyle etc. (angry birds cracks me up.). I set it up to use my wireless router when in range of the house to save on 3G data costs, but it can itself act as a wireless hotspot if in remote areas.

The GPS nav software seems ok, but I have a TomTom for that. I am looking into getting the GolfLogix GPS app for it and if it is any good I will get an Android phone for myself.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I have a BlackBerry and an Android. Love them, didn't like the ide aof them until I actually got one, lol.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My phone takes pictures, sends text messages and is the old time type. I just talk on it. That's all I want it for. And that's irritating enough.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.