• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SMT Driver

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
Lucky me, just got my hands on a SMT 455 Deep Bore Driver, says twelve on the driver head as well - apparently this is the only "legal" driver from SMT.

Shaft make is Balistik - performance by Apollo..??

Grip = 10MIC

super light driver, can't wait to test it though!!

you guys know much about these drivers??

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
SMT was once one of the leading component suppliers to the club building market. Over the past few years, most of those component suppliers have disappeared. The deep discounting of clubs from manufacturers releasing a plethora of new series each year, along with the ability to purchase clubs at give-away prices on ebay, made it difficult for component folks to survive. Diamond Tour Golf picked up the pieces of SMT when they went under. DTG has a driver head available that carries an SMT label. That head alone sells for $99.99. If you buy a component head at $100, a shaft, grip, etc. you've got a couple hundred bucks wrapped up in a club. Then you go to ebay and find 6-month old Taylor Made, Cobra, etc. for less than that. The 455 Deep Bore was heralded as a great driver head. The performance of most any driver, today, is pretty dependent on the shaft and how that fits you.
Have a blast with it!!!!!

OP
J.P.C.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
SMT was once one of the leading component suppliers to the club building market. Over the past few years, most of those component suppliers have disappeared. The deep discounting of clubs from manufacturers releasing a plethora of new series each year, along with the ability to purchase clubs at give-away prices on ebay, made it difficult for component folks to survive. Diamond Tour Golf picked up the pieces of SMT when they went under. DTG has a driver head available that carries an SMT label. That head alone sells for $99.99. If you buy a component head at $100, a shaft, grip, etc. you've got a couple hundred bucks wrapped up in a club. Then you go to ebay and find 6-month old Taylor Made, Cobra, etc. for less than that. The 455 Deep Bore was heralded as a great driver head. The performance of most any driver, today, is pretty dependent on the shaft and how that fits you.
Have a blast with it!!!!!

will most definately have a go with this driver, looks and feels great - one thing of concern is the weight though, very light in the hand....will give some feedback once i've hit some balls.

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
I still have one that I built from components about ten years ago. The head is marked as "Eleven"; but SMT advertised their Deep Bore head as a 1+....meaning that my Eleven is really supposed to play to a 12* loft. The face is smooth with no grooves. SMT was proud of the fact that their 455 DB was the current Long Drive record holder at the time of manufacture. So proud, in fact, that they inscribed the head to so state. I assembled mine with a Harrison Striper graphite shaft in regular flex. In retrospect, I probably should have used something with a senior flex; but, at the time, I was unwilling to admit that time was catching up to me.

It is a pretty club; and received lots of comments from other players. I enjoyed it; and it served me pretty well. Like many other clubs in my storage area, I really don't even remember why I took it out of the bag. Actually, I sometimes think of re-shafting it in a senior flex and taking it out of retirement.

BTW, the picture of the head cover will reveal that SMT stood for Superior Metal Technology. It is a titanium head. The cost of the head when I assembled the club was $130. I don't remember what I paid for the Harrison shaft.

SMT1.jpg
SMT2.jpg
SMT3.jpg
SMT4.jpg

OP
J.P.C.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
I still have one that I built from components about ten years ago. The head is marked as "Eleven"; but SMT advertised their Deep Bore head as a 1+....meaning that my Eleven is really supposed to play to a 12* loft. The face is smooth with no grooves. SMT was proud of the fact that their 455 DB was the current Long Drive record holder at the time of manufacture. So proud, in fact, that they inscribed the head to so state. I assembled mine with a Harrison Striper graphite shaft in regular flex. In retrospect, I probably should have used something with a senior flex; but, at the time, I was unwilling to admit that time was catching up to me.

It is a pretty club; and received lots of comments from other players. I enjoyed it; and it served me pretty well. Like many other clubs in my storage area, I really don't even remember why I took it out of the bag. Actually, I sometimes think of re-shafting it in a senior flex and taking it out of retirement.

BTW, the picture of the head cover will reveal that SMT stood for Superior Metal Technology. It is a titanium head. The cost of the head when I assembled the club was $130. I don't remember what I paid for the Harrison shaft.

View attachment 26730 View attachment 26731 View attachment 26732 View attachment 26733

thanks twogreen, mine exactly the same, but i've got the twelve and not eleven.....looking forward to test it - just need to find the time now,.....

🔥 Latest posts