• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SMT Drivers are for REAL!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Most golfers in these forums have a low opinion on component clubs and believe only the OEM's can put out a good driver. I was one of these.

Now I will have to say BAH!! The SMT 455 DB is one of the nicest drivers I've seen anyone hit. Here's the story.

I was asked to sub in my companies fall league and shoot with a friend who is a high 30's to low 40's golfer for 9 holes. He does hit the ball farther then anyone I've ever golfed with and straight. He has a very nice swing, almost textbook. He has to use a 7 degree loft driver and a low launch (high flex point) shaft.

He wanted a new 460 cc driver but bought and tried my 10.5 Launcher and sold it. He hit it much to high.

Our foursome was not a bad group. We had one guy who is near scratch and is now the owner of my Launcher Comp with the Graf Comp NT shaft. He injured his back severely so now has lost alot of swingspeed. He hits the Launcher farther then any other driver he's owned in the last few years, about 250-260 right down the middle. And like I said, he's scratch.

Then there's another guy who's a low to mid 40's shooter, much like me. He hits a Titty 983 nice and straight down the middle about 250-260.

I'm hitting my Tour Edge Exotics with the Accuflex Evolution Lite shaft straight down the middle about 250-260 average and one or two 290 yard bombs per nine holes (again today).

Greens were just aerated so that cost us all about five strokes chasing the bouncing ball so today's scores were not low even though we all played good.

My buddy with the SMT 455 DB just got it this morning. It's a 7 degree with a "regular" flex Accuflex Evolution shaft. He got regular flex (even though his swingspeed is easily over 110-115) because the shaft goes so deep in this SMT head it ups the stiffness to the next flex. This club is PRETTY. That orange-yellow-gold (depending on sunlight) shaft is really nice, prettier even then my green-blue-purple change Evo Lite.

He had never swung it so hit his old driver on the first couple holes and not particularly well. Then he pulled this one and hit his first drive about 290 and pushed it a little right. Still got a par. He said he was a little tentative and didn't come around good on it. All I can say is, the last three holes he used that driver on were monster hits. On a 340 yard par 4, slight dogleg left with huge trees 3/4 down the fairway on the left his drive CLEARED the trees and we suspected might be on the green. It was. About 5 feet from the pin.

I will have an SMT driver soon. I might never buy another OEM driver but you know me. Might need one of those square Callys, LOL.

WBL

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Most of those in these forums have a low opinion on component clubs and believe only the OEM's can put out a good driver. I was one of these.

It took you a while to come around. :D Now if you just can convince your buddy Rock...........nah, never happen. There is a better chance WBL will never buy another driver than Rock picking up some component clubs. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
It took you a while to come around. :D Now if you just can convince your buddy Rock...........nah, never happen. There is a better chance WBL will never buy another driver than Rock picking up some component clubs. :D

That's not entirely true. :D

I would play Wishon or KZG if I had a chance to demo them. I've hit a few KZG wedges, they're sweet.

But not Mizzy sweet. :miz:

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Ciberius said (another thread): SMT is a great head manufacturer. I have the SMT02 in 4*, 5*, 6*, 7* for long drive. With this one and the 455 Deep Bore you have to be careful as the shaft goes into the head over 2 inches so they play stiffer.

The club maker who built this driver for my pal also found this to be true after talking to both SMT and Accuflex. That's why he made it a regular flex and boy it turned out STIFF but feels real nice.

OEM stands for "Original Equipment Manufacter"

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
That's not entirely true. :D

I would play Wishon or KZG if I had a chance to demo them. I've hit a few KZG wedges, they're sweet.

But not Mizzy sweet. :miz:

R35

You can always just buy a single head like a 7 iron and demo it on your own. Granted your out 20-30 bucks (or whatever that is in loonies) but if you like it you can just buy the rest of the heads you need. Of course, with driver heads the initial investment is 4 to 5 times the iron head and is not an efficient way to demo the head.

I have been fortunate to live near a Golfsmith store for the last 7 years or so and have been able to demo their heads if needed. Wishon makes good stuff. Both my current set and my previous set are Wishon designs from when he was still at Golfsmith.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The one Wishon head is oversize and illegal. He makes it anyway for those who don't play tourneys and just want to bomb them.

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
sounds like your buddy could knock the shit out the ball with any club. i think i would try to hit this club somewhere first before i would rush out and buy it.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The scratch golfer tried his 7 degree and hit it good. It sailed about 3 feet off the ground (went a long ways like that). He couldn't get it airborne with that setup. You won't be able to demo a component club like that. You have to put it together and hope it works.

Strider,

Tell us about your G5 with the NT in it. Sounds like a killer combination to me!!

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
SMT is fo' real. I had a 7* Spectrum with a Penley Stealth that i absolutely murdered. Besides my Launcher 400 that had been extended to 46.5", that was probably one of the longest clubs i've ever hit. Thinking back, i cant recall why the hell i sold that thing, i think i only got like 80 bucks for it(only paid 100 for it and an 11 degree spectrum), but at the course i used to work with, theres a stone wall about 265 out, with full-size trees behind it to protect the guy's house who lives there. Its also elevated a bit from the range tees. I cranked a few with the Launcher right over the trees and into his barn(that pisses the horse off), but the Spectrum would hit it with this piercing trajectory halfway up the trees. Because its 265, that doesnt sound big, but seeing as that ball hadnt touched down yet and it's still gonna be rolling quite a bit more, its no slouch hit.

Some other clubs that were huge were my 905T, but the loft shaft combo weren't right(tho when i nailed one, it didnt come down for a while), and the Srixon W-403

ruining

inappropriate
Aug 27, 2006
Well, that's pretty much what I was waiting to hear. I'll be buying that SMT, probably this week. Thanks for the info!

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It's The "Ho of the Month" Show

Presnted by Rock and WBL.

Introducing the new "I must have" driver. :biglol:

In the last few months we have been sponsored by :

TEE
Graf. Comp NT (prototype)
Cleveland 460Ti
and AccuFlex shafts

Who's next? The Square Shaped Ping?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
No, the square shaped FTi Cally!! Hey, we're just trying to help you guys out!!:D

🔥 Latest posts