• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SMT Drivers

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Any body know about these drivers from SMT golf. A club builder says they rock and sells the SMT RLM filament wound shafts along with the heads. Says they are a great combo. I checked the website and they have some pretty impressive stats....Not sure how true.... one says PGA leader in driving distance since 2003...Never seen a player with an SMT before??? I'm in between choosing their new DB plus or the new Python XL Snake Eyes Driver over to Golf Smith. One advantage is that SMT says they have 100% warrenty on their heads and shafts. Just checking if anyone has gone with an SMT driver before and how they compare to OEM drivers. I have played Snake Eyes equipment before and have good results. Should I venture over to SMT??

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I had a 455DB, and it was a pooch. I'm sure it was just mine, though.

OP
3Bogey

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Pooch....:confused:.Sorry for the ignorance but is that good or bad? My guess is bad since it is not in the bag anymore.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Pooch....:confused:.Sorry for the ignorance but is that good or bad? My guess is bad since it is not in the bag anymore.

Hehe. Pooch as in dog. It was a dog.

I think they make a good product, I just got a flat one and never tried another.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
they seem to have a pretty loyal following (although I can't think of anyone here with one)
I tried one when I was fit, but didn't care for the red color

I've got an SMT hybrid in my bag and while I think it's ugly as sin, it's a good club
If your fitter will stand behind it, give it a shot - and let us know how you make out

Also, most of the good component companies stand behind their stuff - I believe Geek Golf and Wishon both offer lifetime warranties for example

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
SMT is notorious for heads that break. That, and the guy that runs them is a bit of a kook.

Personally, I think most of their designs are weak. But that's me. They're also overpriced.

If you want a solid head for half the money, get a Geek.

R35

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Geek is stellar stuff. Rock was a FOOL to sell me his DCT!

It's currently my gamer, but it's got some real competition. Especially with something new en route...

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Geek is stellar stuff. Rock was a FOOL to sell me his DCT!

It's currently my gamer, but it's got some real competition. Especially with something new en route...

Hopefully you don't hate whatever's en route and have to sell it... :emot-ange

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I wll say only one thing...both Lyle and myself refuse to carry SMT products.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Lol. I guess I should've asked the same question last week. I'm waiting for an SMT head to arrive. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed and see how it is. At least it was pretty cheap.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
A friend has a SMT DB and the shaft goes so far into the head it ups the flex and makes any shaft "tip stiff". He did hit it a mile though.

He has a Ping G10 now.. :D

3putt

Dec 1, 2007
I'm not a super experienced clubmaker like Lyle and Indacup but I'm surprised at the negativity about SMT. They have great reviews everywhere you look and I have never heard or had any of my SMT demo line break and I have a buddy that is 6'9" 340 lbs that swings 140+. My Geek line is always overlooked when compared to the SMT drivers. Geek is a good product but I don't know where you going to find that it is half the price of an SMT driver. Stay away from the cheaper heads....I'm surprised that Indacup takes Bang and Integra over SMT...Must be a feud somewhere. They don't compare in my opinion. Bottom line people back their equipment when they feel confident in their design. Hey guys I'm not in Mike Tait's top 5 but regardless of his brashness and arrogance at times he does design some great heads. I say go for it and feel confident in doing so.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
3 Putt...you made some great points...let me elaborate a tad more n the things you quoted me on...because I apparently didn't elaborate well...

"...My Geek line is always overlooked when compared to the SMT drivers. Geek is a good product but I don't know where you going to find that it is half the price of an SMT driver.

Did some one say they thought the Geeks were half the price of the SMT///No way...they are very much similar in price....

"..Stay away from the cheaper heads....I'm surprised that Indacup takes Bang and Integra over SMT..."

No! Wait! I never said all Bang and Integra heads are better than SMT...it all should be on a case by case basis...which Bang or Integra to which SMT...and then again, what is the testers criteria?? Is it forgiveness of one head against another? or price? a combination???

Must be a feud somewhere. They don't compare in my opinion. Bottom line people back their equipment when they feel confident in their design. Hey guys I'm not in Mike Tait's top 5 but regardless of his brashness and arrogance at times he does design some great heads. I say go for it and feel confident in doing so.

I will not go into personal differences between Mike and myself...as a matter of fact, I think him and I have agreed to disagree...and last time we talked, was really nice.

And I CAN tell you that he DOES make decent stuff....

However...... I know and have documentation that some of his claims are wrong......I can tell you to look at the material he documents he uses on the heads, which is Beta Ti...which is the cheapest and less aggressive material of any blend used on the market......

Awhile back I posted a list of the strongest titanium material blends..... in order of strength....the SMT material (Beta Ti) was at the bottom (with a few others).

🔥 Latest posts