• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SMT Drivers

3putt

Dec 1, 2007
Response to Indacups response

Indacup I certainly don't want to get into a "he said she said debate" but you need to read all of the threads before you assume I am quoting you. First of all... my first reply was to let 3bogey know that I was not as experienced as you and Lyle but I did feel that SMT was a great product...at least from my experience... and I was surprised that you had odds with SMT. I mean that is all 3 bogey could assume based on your initial reply. Thanks for elaborating more on the second reply but I I also want a chance to set myself clear of any confusion.

My Quote"...My Geek line is always overlooked when compared to the SMT drivers. Geek is a good product but I don't know where you going to find that it is half the price of an SMT driver.

I was not quoting you. If you check further up in the threads Rockford 35 made that assumption.

Your Quote No! Wait! I never said all Bang and Integra heads are better than SMT...

Where did I say that you said that. :confused: I simply said that I'm surprised that Indacup takes Bang and Integra over SMT...However when someone says and I quote- I wll say only one thing...both Lyle and myself refuse to carry SMT products, one can only assume that that statement is because that you feel your products are better and that SMT has a crappy product, crappy customer service, etc. which I clearly disagree. I mean how would 3bogey take that reply any differently. Remember he initiated this thread looking for advice about SMT drivers. A little more feedback like your last reply would have been better for him to make a more informed decision.

Mt Quote Must be a feud somewhere. They don't compare in my opinion.
My bad..... I shouldn't have assumed that you were at odds with Mike...bad judgement on my part. But again when someone posts a response like your first reply it leaves the reader in a position to make an unfair assumption.

Your Quote However...... I know and have documentation that some of his claims are wrong.....

Can you give us documentation to the whereabouts?? I would love see that being a distributer myself.

Your Quote I can tell you to look at the material he documents he uses on the heads, which is Beta Ti...which is the cheapest and less aggressive material of any blend used on the market......

I'm not an expert on metallurgy but Bang and Integra use Beta Ti and so does Geek :confused:.

Again...It is up to 3 bogey to get answers that he feels comfortable with to make an informed decision....And I stand that SMT is a great line and a great Driver from my experiences. I would however love to hear back about the bogus claims from SMT and what exactly are the differences in the Metallurgy between SMT and other component heads since I am certainly not an expert on those differences. All I know is that most all component heads use beta ti somewhere in their design so I'm not sure why SMT is being called out??

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->__________________

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
3putt,

My apologies on the price quote error from SMT. I was thinking of the new Bang lineup.

Thanks for calling me on that.:canadafla

That being said, I won't be using an SMT driver for personal reasons. :)

R35

3putt

Dec 1, 2007
That being said, I won't be using an SMT driver for personal reasons.

Rock....here is another example of leading the reader into making unfair assuptions about a product. Why can't you guys elaborate more? What is the sense of posting a question on this website if you don't give specific answers???

If you had bad experiences with SMT them post them so the person asking the questions can make and informed decision...not some bail out repsonse like personal reasons!!!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
That being said, I won't be using an SMT driver for personal reasons.

Rock....here is another example of leading the reader into making unfair assuptions about a product. Why can't you guys elaborate more? What is the sense of posting a question on this website if you don't give specific answers???

If you had bad experiences with SMT them post them so the person asking the questions can make and informed decision...not some bail out repsonse like personal reasons!!!

I've never dealt directly with SMT, but I know plenty that have, guys that I respect. They've had nothing but problems with them, so I err on the side that I've dealt with and stand by their position.

I have the same feelings about Ping and Titleist. They make good stuff, they just won't get in my bag.

End of story. One man's opinion, nothing more. If you care to read into that and make a decision based on that alone, that's your perogative.

R35

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
My single experience with SMT customer service was excellent. I sent an email asking about any bending issues with the Durometer wedge, and I had a reply in 10 minutes offereing to do the job for free.

Bamma

Feb 1, 2009
Well, I am new here, but I will remark on what I have seen that makes me not want to let SMT have any of my money. I will start by saying, though, that I played a Shinnecock driver for a while and loved it. It was just an outstanding driver, and I do believe that many folks who play SMT drivers will say the same about theirs.

Here is where I had a problem though. I had a friend who used to build clubs and made a fair percentage of his driver sales off SMT. As some of you may recall, SMT also made clubheads for a while for Horsepower Golf, in particular the HP420. My understanding is that the HP420 did not do as well as the older SMT Nemesis 370(which had a big cult following several years back). Both featured the smooth face design and had very similar shapes, with the 420 obviously being bigger. Well, one day I was in my friend's shop and looking at some of the clubs when I noticed something odd about one of the Nemesis driver heads. It was quite a bit bigger than the others it was sitting near. There also happened to be a 420 in the shop, and I noticed that the Nemesis in question was much more similar to that club than to the other Nemesis driver heads. We took pictures of them both (that was at least 2 computers ago, so no, I do not have them any more).

Long story short, without any proof of this, I was 99.9& certain I knew what had happened. I strongly believe that since the HP420 was not selling well, but people were still demanding the Nemesis, that SMT made a decision to go sell the HP420 heads with the Nemesis art and hope nobody would notice that they were not getting what they really wanted. When Mike at SMT was called about it, he denied that it was even a possibility, but the pictures I had as well as the measurements I took showed otherwise. So, he was called out on FGI for this, and he again denied, denied, denied. He went into some rant about how great he was, all the things he did for his customers, the blood sweat and tears he shed for his business, etc., but dodged the fact that the proof was there (I posted pics at the time) for anyone who cared to see it. Of course, I took a hit on that board for having the nerve to call out the FGI God such as I did, having to spend quite a bit of time talking to Justin to keep him from hating me for it too.

So, I finally dropped it. I know the truth of that situation, and that is good enough for me. Again, I can not prove any of what I say, unless someone cares to go back and find those old pics I posted way back when (I don't care to bother myself). I would also prefer to just say I will not play SMT for personal reason myself, but since someone else has already been called out for such answer, I felt compelled to go ahead and tell the story one more time.

All that said, I have not touched anything SMT for several years, and do not plan to. However, you can not overlook the fact that some of the clubs they made were very, very good. Like I said, I loved that Shinnecock driver I had, and most people who played the Nemesis loved it as well, so I would be willing to bet that whatever they are making now is still good. I just question the integrity of the owner enough that I will look elsewhere.

3putt

Dec 1, 2007
Bamma...Could you clarify a little...Are you saying you saw a newer SMT Nemesis that was much larger than the older SMT Nemesis. That's because it was made bigger.

After changing foundaries, the newer Nemesis head was made a bit larger (I'm sure to rival with the ever increasing head sizes) and has been documented several times in threads. I don't have the older Nemesis head to compare to but I have heard that the newer Nemesis was closer to the size of the HP420 than the original Nemesis 370 in other forums.... But I guess I'm confused as to why you think there was a conspiracy??

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Bamma...Could you clarify a little...Are you saying you saw a newer SMT Nemesis that was much larger than the older SMT Nemesis. That's because it was made bigger.

After changing foundaries, the newer Nemesis head was made a bit larger (I'm sure to rival with the ever increasing head sizes) and has been documented several times in threads. I don't have the older Nemesis head to compare to but I have heard that the newer Nemesis was closer to the size of the HP420 than the original Nemesis 370 in other forums.... But I guess I'm confused as to why you think there was a conspiracy??

3putt...

bama is right...and even then only discussed a tip of the iceberg...your statements on the other hand is incoorct and was was spoon fed to the public from a single source.

Bottom line is if you are hapopy with SMT products, then please continue using them....everyone has a right to their opinions based on fact or interpretation...

Lets let it drop and each continue to purchase where they want.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
3putt...

bama is right...and even then only discussed a tip of the iceberg...your statements on the other hand is incoorct and was was spoon fed to the public from a single source.

Bottom line is if you are hapopy with SMT products, then please continue using them....everyone has a right to their opinions based on fact or interpretation...

Great post.:thumbs up:

R35

Bamma

Feb 1, 2009
3putt...

Agree. I imagine that nothing I say here will change anyone's mind whether you are a fan or not. Nobody could say anything here that would make me not like Callaway irons, so if you like SMT drivers, you will likely continue to do so. And as I have said, they do make some good clubs.

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
So, all the history aside, can anyone tell me about the Nemesis 370? Is the 405cc version (as listed on the SMT site), a 'newer' version? Was there an older, maybe better version?

I don't care about the old controversy. If the head works, it works. I just want to know which 'version' I might have.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
So, all the history aside, can anyone tell me about the Nemesis 370? Is the 405cc version (as listed on the SMT site), a 'newer' version? Was there an older, maybe better version?

I don't care about the old controversy. If the head works, it works. I just want to know which 'version' I might have.

Post some pics, maybe someone can help you out. :)

R35

🔥 Latest posts