• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SMT Drivers

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Post some pics, maybe someone can help you out. :)

R35

If I can't guess from the size (original @ ~ 380 cc's, HP420 @ ~ 50 cc's bigger, current version @ 405 cc's according to SMT; from what I've read in various reviews), I'll do that.

3putt

Dec 1, 2007
I guess no one can answer a question around here without getting defensive. I'm not asking difficult questions. You guys continue to miss the point. I'm not trying to defend SMT here. I just want to learn like everyone else does about equipment and the components that we build from. If there is some doubt about the quality and integrity of SMT I want to know with facts and peoples experiences. I was just asking Bama as to why he thought it was a conspiracy...Not that he was wrong. Hey if there was a conspiracy I want to know about it. If his heads are made from inferior metals I want to know. But you guys can't seem to answer the questions that I'm asking and assuming that I am questioning out of defense....I just want to know why you say the things you say so I can be better informed. I mean isn't that what this site is all about??Rockford go play on another thread.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I just want to know why you say the things you say so I can be better informed. I mean isn't that what this site is all about??

Rockford go play on another thread.

Isn't this the same from both sides of the coin?

As i've expressed, it's my opinion alone. Mine should carry as much weight as yours, and I think it does.

You've stated your feelings, so have I. If people can't take that at face value, then so be it.

I'm not playing anywhere. This thread, or anywhere else. :biglol:

R35

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
3putt-

Let me try to explain it differently...maybe this will make sense (trust me, I can understand your confusion and frustration)...

There are some companies, like professional teams and players who enthusiasts develop a strong loyalty, support or following based on history of performance and sometimes behavior.

Conversely, there are some people, teams or organizations that find themselves not getting support or loyalty for their previous actions or behavior.

A great example for me is Callaway.

While I know they make good product NOW, and have a great customer support base. I made a decision not to buy any more of their product when they willingly defied the USGA.

A few years back SMT made some choices that were accepted by some, and condemned by others.

It escalated to the point where arguments had spiraled out of control in many golf forums and in at least one case I know of personally, legal action was taken.

Bottom line, it got ugly and many wounds are still open.

Maybe I shouldn't have said anything in the beginning, I just assumed (or hoped) that iit could have been left at that.

While you may be disappointed in me, and Rockford for our answers, I deeply respect Rock for having the class and integrity not to open up another can of worms, especially without SMT to defend themselves.

So if you are happy with the product line, then by all means, continue buying and supporting them. The product line is as good as many others out there.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
3putt-
Maybe I shouldn't have said anything in the beginning, I just assumed (or hoped) that iit could have been left at that.

Why not? You can say whatever you want, isn't that the idea?
If some people can't take on critics for the stuff they like, well, there are a lot other places an forums which would embrace SMT users. It's like having WBL cry on JEFF on his opinion on PING!

I don't think a forum's idea is to justify what you like, you simply like it and that's all. If someone want's a further explanation he/she can ask for it, but that doesn't mean anybody is obliged to do so.

Saying so, I have no experience with SMT, but just because of this thread, I'm never buying ANYTHING from them, and no I don't have any argument on why....

Skiddlydiddly

Jul 17, 2007
Well said, Xamilo.

For myself, I'm going to form my own opinion on the equipment itself, but I appreciate knowing the opinions about the company.

3bogey, I'll post a review in a couple of months after I've had a chance to hit whatever head it is I end up with. :p

I can tell you about the Snake Eyes PythonXL, though. I don't have alot of experience with different equipment yet, but I find it to be quite long and extremely forgiving. I couldn't be happier with it. In fact, I just built a Python XLj for my son's birthday in a couple of weeks. :thumbs up:

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
One final post regarding this....

Since those days Mike Tait and I have talked and we are cordial to eachother...we no longer bring up those days.

So, I think it would be wrong to resurrect them now.

🔥 Latest posts