• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So, here I sit.....

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
Off work early on a Friday afternoon, sun is shining, no snow on the ground, very little wind, a brand new set of Taylormades that my wife got me for my b-day last Sept, and I have absolutely no desire to go play.

Why?

Because its 30 degrees out there.

A dozen years or so ago, I woulda been out there swinging away. Driving off of those rubber tee things, watching my ball roll 50-75 extra yards off the rock hard fairways, cussing because I'd hit the green, only to see my ball bounce 30' in the air and end up 20 yds over the green. Doing a shot or 2 of JD to help keep me warm (along with the long johns, and 2 layers of clothing). Having a good-ole time, and not really caring about the score.

Nowadays, in the winter, the miss-hits hurt/sting a lot more, I can't stay flexible/loose, and am much more cognizant of my score.

I drive by the course on the way home on an icy afternoon and notice guys out there, and say to myself "They're f-ing nuts, that can't be any fun."

But I do remember.. it was fun, it was golf, and one pretty much had the whole course to oneself.

Getting older sucks. I can't wait till it's 50 degrees out.

295yards

May 5, 2009
Hope that never happens to me! But I have a feeling it will.

I remember playing hockey on the pond every night in blistering cold weather in excess of minus 20*C for hours, changing my shoes outside, and walking home crying because my feet stung so bad from the cold just to do it all over the next day.

Now we don't go outdoor skating with the kids for even half hour if it is anywhere near minus 15*C because that would be nuts!

Somehow I've noticed how the weather affects me much more as I'm older,,,like YES air conditioning is so nice now. Never had that when I was a kid!

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I know exactly what you mean. Having just turned 50, the last thing I'm interested in right now is going outside in sub freezing weather and play golf.

But it will be back in the high 40's and low 50's next week and I'll be out there. :wink:

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm with Dubya... I'm mid 20's, but after braving the mid 30's and wind chill in the 20's.. I'm not interested in playing anymore until it's over 40.. I get pissed that the greens are even harder to hold, I enjoy the extra length off the tee. But the wind kills me. My swing is so short because of all the clothes I have on, and I just feel like crap after I get home.

Give it another 3-4 weeks and I'll be out there again... until then. I'm just buying golf stuff and thinking about using it. ;)

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I'm in my mid 20's and the thought hasn't even crossed my mind to even try. The 'heated' driving range is even too cold. The only thing I've thought about at this point is trying out my snowshoes that I won in a golf tournament. I might strap those on and go for a walk on the course. Other than that, I'll wait till the Masters, that's when golf season starts for me!!

OP
thekid65

thekid65

Jan 2, 2009
I know exactly what you mean. Having just turned 50, the last thing I'm interested in right now is going outside in sub freezing weather and play golf.

But it will be back in the high 40's and low 50's next week and I'll be out there. :wink:

I'm probably looking at 2 more months before we reach those temps.:mad:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Haven't even thought about hitting the heated range, zero interest right now. Course I have no interest in skiing right now either & all my gear is in my vehicle. Too damn busy at work, tons of OT right now.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
So, here I sit... The Weather Channel says -18F. Was -23F yesterday morning. High, yesterday, was -7F. 20" snow on the ground. Clubs all polished for the new season. Swingweights checked. Bag gone through and tees, gloves, balls restocked. Towels washed. Nothing planned for the weekend, but I have no desire to play. Wonder why........ :>)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Haven't even thought about hitting the heated range, zero interest right now. Course I have no interest in skiing right now either & all my gear is in my vehicle. Too damn busy at work, tons of OT right now.

I might hit the heated driving range this comming saturday. But then, its supposed to be in the thirties so i might have to wear shorts....:tongue:

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
playing an executive style course in the morning, and a championship course sunday.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Playing in a single Stableford comp at Royal Pines golf resort on Sunday Golf Overview. Temperatures forecast to be 32 degrees C (90F). It's a beautiful resort course and home to the Australian Ladies Masters tournament (playing in March).

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I was really hoping to open this and read the following

...all broken hearted
went to chit, but only farted.

Later on I took a chance.
Whet to fart and chit my pants.

Now I sit, I'm at a loss
Trying to chit out taco sauce

I know I'm gonna drop a load
I only hope I don't explode