• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So, how do you high launch, low spin?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I was on the launch monitor last night, first since some swing changes. My driver SS average was about 109; it was over 104 every time, and I touch 115 once or twice. My numbers were horrible.

Driver: R7 425 9.5, Vista Pro 70 stiff
SS: 104-115.3

Launch angle: 14.5-16
Back spin: 4000-5200, balloon city!!!

Carry was only in the 240-250 range.

I tried an FT-i: and things really improved.

Driver: Callaway FT-i tour 8.5, Speeder 652 x-stiff
SS: 104-105, only two shots
Launch: 9 and 11, respectively.

My carry improved to 260 and 265.

My question is: Do I need an x-stiff in the driver? I have the Tourswing Renegade coming with a pretty stout shaft in it. Maybe that would be the ticket. I'd hate to have to go back and buy that FT-i! Kinda.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
With those numbers the vista pro shaft couldnt be a worse shaft for you (the vista pro is garbage for anyone in reality as it imo is a POS). It is a notoriously soft shaft, with a lot of softness in the tip section. I would guess its adding 3-4* to your effective loft at impact.

I would look at something along the lines of a VS proto, the accuflex evo, or a grafalloy blue.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks Lyle. I have a Rombax 65 TP coming. Would that help, or should I tip it a little? I spin the 75TP in my three wood less than the driver.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I had that same thing (high spin) with a R7 460 I tried (stock shaft). Don't know if it was the head or the shaft but I was all over with it. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Get the FTi in a 9.5*
icon10.gif
I think I know where you might find one.....

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
well i had the same high spin numbers as you but it was not the driver at all. I'm not saying this is why you have high spin numbers but i had a slide problem. it put me out front and i hit the ball with a downward blow putting a ton of backspin on it. since I've been working on the the spin numbers have come down nicely. just a thought

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Get the FTi in a 9.5*
icon10.gif
I think I know where you might find one.....

You know the side... send me a quote.:laugh:

well i had the same high spin numbers as you but it was not the driver at all. I'm not saying this is why you have high spin numbers but i had a slide problem. it put me out front and i hit the ball with a downward blow putting a ton of backspin on it. since I've been working on the the spin numbers have come down nicely. just a thought

Good thought, but I was using a three inch tee, so if I got in front of the ball at all, I got Ezra marks.

Leek

Jan 23, 2008
According to the latest Trackman research, hitting down on the ball does not increase the backspin at all. I think it's the shaft/head combo.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
You know the side... send me a quote.:laugh:

Trade only for FTi tour 8.5* draw. :)

Good thought, but I was using a three inch tee, so if I got in front of the ball at all, I got Ezra marks.

That's all you man, I haven't skied one in ages.
icon10.gif

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Fujikura list the specs for both, and ironically the Vista Pro 70 in S profiles identcially to the 652 in X, quite bizarre, you have picked 2 shafts so alike, although the Vista has higher torque so maybe feels softer.

So maybe its the head and swingweight? Dunno, but unless the specs are wrong the only other thing is the overall profile, maybe the two profile totally differently in the middle, like the 757 which is sift in the middle? One of the reasons its hard to chose shafts, you can go on a monitor but unless you know the overall profile, and no one ever releases this info, you can never match another shaft, all you can do is hit them.

I've just gone through this and discovered I need I much stiffer butt and medium tip, but I have no idea what I need in the centre section, and different shafts were giving me as much as 6mph more, ave 108, for no apparent reason, even with reg which confused me for a bit.

Maybe the Vista was cut down?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
High launch, low spin.

Play the ball further forward. Middle of your turned out left foot.

Drop your right shoulder at address so your left arm is basicall straight, your right arm is slightly bent.

Remember to hold your angle but "think" of launching the ball UP into the stratosphere. If you don't hold your angle just a "little" longer (because of the more forward tee) and you try to strike at it as you do normally many bad things can occur. A loss of clubhead speed, a pop up, an Ezra etc. etc.

Here is that trackman article put out this month about how they have found that changing angle of attack doesn't have any spin differences. It does mean you will need a higher lofted driver to get the correct launch angle, and the higher loft will impart more spin.

But if you have a robot hit a 9.5* driver with a 4* upward A of A and another trial of a 9.5* driver with a 4* downward A of A, they will come off with the same spin, but obviously not the same launch angle or carry distance.

TrackMan™ Newsletter January 2008

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
According to the latest Trackman research, hitting down on the ball does not increase the backspin at all.

Sorry but I dont buy this. My own testing, and the results I see with my own launch monitor tell a completely different story.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Sorry but I dont buy this. My own testing, and the results I see with my own launch monitor tell a completely different story.

Quite true, pure physics really, we all agree that an inside/out swig produces a draw/hook(depending on the severity) because the club face is moving from left to right(looking down the line) as it hits the ball imparting counter-clockwise spin and producing that ball flight. As the air on the left side of the ball is moving faster than the air on the right side making the ball move left.

The same thing happens for a decending blow, club face moving top to bottom and imparting backspin, the more the clubface moves during impact the more spin imparted on the ball.

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
High launch, low spin.

Play the ball further forward. Middle of your turned out left foot.

Drop your right shoulder at address so your left arm is basicall straight, your right arm is slightly bent.

Remember to hold your angle but "think" of launching the ball UP into the stratosphere. If you don't hold your angle just a "little" longer (because of the more forward tee) and you try to strike at it as you do normally many bad things can occur. A loss of clubhead speed, a pop up, an Ezra etc. etc.

http://trackmangolf.com/newsletter/jan08/AttackAngle.html

I was using a three inch tee off my front toe, and I flare my foot a lot. I'm really thinking this may be an equipment issue. I know its usually the indian, but I had instant feedback from another club that fixed the problem. I liked my set-up, and my swing speed was excellent. I don't know. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to the launch monitor Friday with the R7 reshafted with a tipped TP65, shimmed delofted with a Billy Bob adapter, and my new Tourswing Renegade. We'll go from there. Thanks for the input, guys.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.