• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So i did it, blades.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Was at the range today, no intention of shopping for clubs. He had a last summers demo set of Nike VR Pros (3-p) combos. In great shape. With the dynamic gold shafts. The inner compulsive buyer in me mulled it over, and I ended up purchasing them after hitting a large bucket with em, lol. $339.00.
This a decent price for a used, but great condition set?

Now, do I think I am the type of golfer who needs blades....no, but I am also not bad enough that I can't hit em. In fact the 6 and 7i i loved right off the bat, then again those 2 have always been my favorite irons, in any set i have owned. I am not really great at "working my clubs", in fact much of the time I put unintentional spin on the ball and hit it astray. The long irons I haven't really hit great yet, though I have had a few ok shots. I went and played 9 after i signed the receipt. The face is very small on the 3 and 4, and therefore the sweet spot is as well. My ball striking is ok, but not as accurate all the time as it needs to be for these 2 clubs...yet.

I felt like the feel of the 6 n 7 which i hit extensively was awesome, the mishits were the same type id make with my old cobra FPs, so...nothin I cant fix. I made a sweet punch shot with the 7i from under some trees, a shot im almost sure would not have been able to do with my other cobra 7i, it just had such a nice easy feel and flat trajectory just like i wanted to, my old cobra when i did that seemed to launch too high still...or if it didnt, itd just come off the face entirely funny.

So as a mid 40's average on 9 golfer it probably seems quite silly to even want to use blades. My theory on it was, it seemed like a good price for a roughly 900-1000 set new with these shafts. And, it is going to force me to continually work on my ball striking. As my game evolves and these clubs become more suitable, I will already have the feel of them on normal shots, and then can start working more on being able to "work the ball" with them.

A) Does the price seem like a good deal? He threw in 10 free buckets with my purchase. B) Was it stupid as say a bogey golfer with some good days, and a few real bad ones to buy blades? Again i felt like I can get them dialed in, I hit a lot of quality shots on the range with them. C) Any thoughts on what I could ask for my 4-G set of cobra fp's couple years old, but still in pretty decent shape. My next step is to take a few video lessons with the pro there. At $55 for an hour, pretty good deal. Really my driver needs the most work right now, its killin me.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The fastest way to improve your game is to buy a set of clubs that makes you hit the ball correctly. And practice your short game.

Price seems ok, especially since he threw in the 10 buckets of balls. The best rounds of golf i ever played were with blades. I got my cap to the lowest ever 2 years ago with Hogan blades. Its more the swing than the equipment anyway!

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
I hear ya jim, these will definitely force me to work on my striking more, and not settle for what other other clubs allow me to get away with. My handicap may not suggest the need for these, but its usually my irons that save my game, lol. My driver is inconsistent and crazy lately. Though my chips and putts have far improved over the winter off...odd haha.

Really thinking this is gonna motivate me to get to the range and really work on my striking. Still plan to take the video lesson though, and hopefully not have him re-work my WHOLE swing, but a few tweaks to gain consistency that right now I lack at times. Some days I hit a draw, sometimes I don't. Eventually I want to get to the point I can do that on command. That'll be the day.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009

lil video i took tryin em out today with my gopro. Some mishits in there lol, but heck i do that with my FPs, so...def not the irons fault there rofl. I noticed on the real good ones I was able to hit them a bit further then my FPs. Im not entirely obsessed with distance however, I just want control mostly. Buttt i wont complain for a few extra yards. Any constructive criticism from this angle is welcomed.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
10 free buckets is $80 value, so that makes it a decent deal IMO.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Thanks, yea I am enjoying them so far. I really have not struggled to hit them. In fact I stopped today and hit a medium after work. Hittin even my 3i pretty good. I think part of my problem there was alignment/ ball position (too far back). Only thing is I may be flipping a little.

Anyhow, driver made progress, lol...seemed to be simply a timing issue...not initiating with my lower half enough!

usa1950

Divots like a 72 Playboy
Jul 15, 2007
These?

awww.golfwrx.com_wp_content_uploads_vr_pro_blades_bouquet_1_.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Those are exactly like my buddy's. Beautiful clubs. I like how they have a couple extra grooves making them real close together. Sweet feel, as to be expected.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Yea its the ones in the pic above. I like em a lot, and I have gotten bit better with them. It's kinda tickin me off because at the range ill hit a lot of consistent shots, then choke a lil on the course, lol. Or, vise versa.

I already feel like its helped me work on my ball striking. Tweaked a lil bit in my swing (takeaway) which has helped. Most of the mistakes I make are due to picking up...i mean you'd think by now I wouldn't do that anymore. Quite possibly one of the hardest impulses to totally eliminate...at least for me. Wanna see the nice shot I had planned before I hit it.

I had read in a few reviews people didn't like the pw...i dunno why...i like it a lot. And it does seem to produce good spin. I have had a few already I have had stop and back up a pretty good amount. Now, I don't focus on that, I mean there are more important things to work on at the moment. However, its either a product of the tighter groove pattern, or some improvement in my striking.

Been spending a lot of time at the range, I mean not by a pro standard, but typically 2-4 buckets a week. Still I do not improve like I would like. That said I have been shooting a lot of 44-45s where I had 1 or more blow up holes (like an 8 blowup). So, if I can just iron those damn holes out....I would be down where I aiming...40. Lot of pars lately with some birdies sprinkled in.

One issue I am having was my gap from the FPs was 100yd in all day club with an easy swing I was able to throttle down effectively. I am TRYING to get away from that and hit my new PW light, or my wishons...but right now I have crappy feel and therefore some distance uncertainty, so my short game from 50 or less, especially, has not been the best. Leaving myself a lot of looooong putts....luckily my lagging has been damn good this year for the most part and has been saving me, and dropped a couple 25+...seem to be seein lines pretty good and my speeds been suprising effortless most of the time...not my norm.

Sucky part is the range I got em from I have 10 free buckets, well 8 now. But they have 0 for putting green or chipping. The other range where my league is has nothing but mats to hit off, but they have a sweet 35-40yd "fairway" with 2 nice traps...and decent green to practices short game.

Anyhow, if you made it through all that, lol...I am enjoying them...especially since I heard blades were SOOOO tough to hit that I was scared to try em at all.

🔥 Latest posts