• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So I found something on Friday. Something... unique.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
United States United States
So we just bought a house, and you know those stories about how people find valuable things hidden in strange places? Well I found something priceless...

The previous owners both worked for the government; he trained police in anti-terrorism, she was in IT for the CIA. She’s in her 60s and retired in N.C., he’s deceased… by his own hand. And that’s where it begins for me.

I was cleaning out the fireplace (which wouldn’t work for some reason) trying to get the pilot light to fire up, when I noticed what I assumed to be a tiny corner of a business card sticking out from between the fireplace and the brick around it. Curiosity got the better of me so I grabbed a screw driver and some needle-nose pliers and began to work it out of the gap that was barely wide enough for the card. When I finally was able to pull the card out it turned out to be a photo of the couple from the 1970s. Okay, whatever. But, on the back was a touching good-bye note to the wife - a suicide note - dated the day before his body was found in the woods outside of town. I talked to the neighbors and got the full story that he was sick and in a lot of pain. He was also known for refusing treatment even as small as taking aspirin, so he went out on his own terms.

I was holding the last thing he ever wrote. It’s my opinion that he purposely disabled the fireplace, knowing that someone would have to dig around and eventually find the note. I spent most of the weekend in a daze.

I got her new address and mailed it to her yesterday, along with a note explaining how I discovered it and included my phone number.

Surreal.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
So we just bought a house, and you know those stories about how people find valuable things hidden in strange places? Well I found something priceless...

The previous owners both worked for the government; he trained police in anti-terrorism, she was in IT for the CIA. She’s in her 60s and retired in N.C., he’s deceased… by his own hand. And that’s where it begins for me.

I was cleaning out the fireplace (which wouldn’t work for some reason) trying to get the pilot light to fire up, when I noticed what I assumed to be a tiny corner of a business card sticking out from between the fireplace and the brick around it. Curiosity got the better of me so I grabbed a screw driver and some needle-nose pliers and began to work it out of the gap that was barely wide enough for the card. When I finally was able to pull the card out it turned out to be a photo of the couple from the 1970s. Okay, whatever. But, on the back was a touching good-bye note to the wife - a suicide note - dated the day before his body was found in the woods outside of town. I talked to the neighbors and got the full story that he was sick and in a lot of pain. He was also known for refusing treatment even as small as taking aspirin, so he went out on his own terms.

I was holding the last thing he ever wrote. It’s my opinion that he purposely disabled the fireplace, knowing that someone would have to dig around and eventually find the note. I spent most of the weekend in a daze.

I got her new address and mailed it to her yesterday, along with a note explaining how I discovered it and included my phone number.

Surreal.
That is really neat and sad and wow, just heavy.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Some people find stocks or Honus Wagner cards or gold bullion... I get a suicide note. o_O

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
That would be tough situation for me...

I'm not sure if I would send it or not personally.

I'm interested to hear if anything comes of it though.

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
That would be tough situation for me...

I'm not sure if I would send it or not personally.

I'm interested to hear if anything comes of it though.
I kinda felt the same way so I immediately went to the neighbor and asked for their history. I had heard that she was, quote, "bat-shit crazy" and that she had to be committed. Turns out that was exaggerated. After talking to the neighbor for a while I told him about the picture and he unquestionably said that the widow would really appreciate having it.

I gave her my phone number in hopes of actually talking to her. I never knew either of them but I kinda feel connected because of this. It's a weird feeling, man.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
When I was a kid, maybe 8-9, our neighbor hung himself in his basement. Rumor was he and the wife had a fight.

When new neighbors moved in, the husband claimed to have never told the wife the whole story, she didn't know about the suicide.

That house never seemed the same to me, and I always felt weird going in-like the place was haunted. Luckily the guys daughters were way to young for me or it would have been a real conundrum!

If the guy truly was sick and in pain, I can understand taking his own life. Other than that I don't get suicide...

OP
TEA Time

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
When I was a kid, maybe 8-9, our neighbor hung himself in his basement. Rumor was he and the wife had a fight.

When new neighbors moved in, the husband claimed to have never told the wife the whole story, she didn't know about the suicide.

That house never seemed the same to me, and I always felt weird going in-like the place was haunted. Luckily the guys daughters were way to young for me or it would have been a real conundrum!

If the guy truly was sick and in pain, I can understand taking his own life. Other than that I don't get suicide...
When we were going through the purchase process, we made damn sure he didn't die in the house. The neighbors confirmed that he went to the woods. We probably wouldn't have bought the house if he had done it there.

I feel a Lifetime movie coming on staring Sandra Bullock.
Would not watch.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
When we were going through the purchase process, we made damn sure he didn't die in the house. The neighbors confirmed that he went to the woods. We probably wouldn't have bought the house if he had done it there.

Would not watch.
Yeah, I'd be creeped out knowing that someone committed suicide in the house!

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Yeah, I'd be creeped out knowing that someone committed suicide in the house!
I'd use it to get a lower price.

Btw, did you know that suicide/murder/death in a house is not a material fact and does not have to be revealed to a potential buyer?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'd use it to get a lower price.

Btw, did you know that suicide/murder/death in a house is not a material fact and does not have to be revealed to a potential buyer?
I did not know that.

🔥 Latest posts