• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So i have not played in 2 weeks

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I havent payed a round of golf in 2 weeks, but I have been to the driving range more times in the last 2 weeks than i can rememeber ever...

Do you think this is a good idea? I made a swing tweak or two and been focusing on my swing quite a bit. really trying to focus on my ball striking.. but I have often found myself in the spot where " cant repeat it on the course "

5iron

I went to the range A LOT over like 15 days or more without playing, i go out to play a 9 holes on a par 3 course, and i had real horrible teeshots until the 7th hole. Like hit the total heel of my iron one time, and some i think pretty badly. Which i hit the first one in thge water, and i sliced the second 4 iron over lol. I fiished by solidlyt slicing 7,8, and 9 respectively lol... Playing is good, trust me. :)

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
It is a delicate balance between range time and actual playing. You can't get the feel for uneven lies and hitting from the rough when you are on the range, so this part of your game will suffer by not getting practice in those situations.

That being said, the range time is a very valuable way to spend your time, I often go three to five days without getting onto the course (seems unimpressive, but I teach at a course) but I hit balls on the range every day.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
It's both a good thing and a bad thing.

The good is that it lets you get fresh, start somewhat new.

The bad thing is, you're not as sharp.

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
It's both a good thing and a bad thing.

The good is that it lets you get fresh, start somewhat new.

The bad thing is, you're not as sharp.

How am I not sharp other than playing from lies such as trouble spots?

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
How am I not sharp other than playing from lies such as trouble spots?

There is a lot to be said for practicing in actual situations, kind of like baseball players taking BP in the cage. On the range it is easy to shrug off a bad shot when you don't have to walk down and play the ball where it lies. Don't have to account for elevation changes and wind as much either, since you are just picking spots rather than aiming at actual targets on the course. Again, not saying that range time is a waste, just that you need a balance between range sessions and practice rounds.

OP
WildCatGolfer17

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
I see your points, but also.. i try to practice short game, I just cant seem to ever get the ball clean on a tight lie when I only want to carry it 2 or 3 yards.. thin or fat.. but i do practice.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, practicing is key, and short game isn't easy to get a really good grasp on.

tn-golfnut-from-nj

Birdie Machine.
Jul 13, 2007
I dont think it is a bad thing at all, if you go to the range with a purpose.
Hitting drives and just admiring them, really has no point.
However when I go to the range, it is always to work on something.

If its the short game, I'll just take a few wedges with me, and keep practicing for hours.
Sometimes I'll just practice long irons.

I always have a target that I aim at also.
It has helped me a lot , when I go to the course, I notice it.

I also got a membership for 350 dollars a year, all the balls I can hit.
After about a month, I'm already ahead.

🔥 Latest posts