• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

so my swing is not as bad a train wreck as I thought.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Had my first lesson today with Josh Points at Raleigh Country Club(what a place). Arrived, warmed up and proceeded to get my swing videoed for the first time. Kinda interesting to see what it looks like. Nothing at all what I thought. Club stays on plane pretty well, might get a touch outside on the way down, but not much. No major changes for me. He just had me stand taller, and moved my right hand toward the left some. Very good lesson. Josh said that my swing is very simple, and thus does not need many fixes. I am a cutter of the ball, not going to fight it or try to make my swing something it is not. Got some tips on alignment and how I need to approach the game. Practice sessions need to be mostly 7 iron down to wedges, given my length of the tee. Got a few easy fixes, just got to get these minor changes ingrained. Very relieved that I am not going to have do a major swing overhaul. Josh is a very good teacher and likable guy. I have found my swing coach.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That's cool. What do you normally shoot or handicap? Stick with him if the simple changes show improvements. That's always been my belief, that a good teacher should be able to provide some instant results.

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
That's cool. What do you normally shoot or handicap? Stick with him if the simple changes show improvements. That's always been my belief, that a good teacher should be able to provide some instant results.

Yes. But there must be substance to the teaching. More than just things like "close the face at address to cure your slice for good!"

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yes. But there must be substance to the teaching. More than just things like "close the face at address to cure your slice for good!"

Comes with fundamentals. Fundamentally sound swings don't slice the ball. If a teacher can't get you hitting solid, straight shots in 20 minutes or less, I'd find another instructor. Every instructor I've ever had produced results right away. Cripes, I'm certainly no pro but even I could get a total beginner to hit a straight 100yd. shot in 20-30 minutes. Might take a 7iron but it'll be straight and fairly solid.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
It can also depend on the students ability to apply what his teacher is telling and showing as well!!, you do get the odd guy who you say something to and they then interpret it in their way which isnt really what you had told them!

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Ez, late last year before I took my lay off, I would consistantly shoot in the 79 to 82 range(putter is what kept me for getting down lower than that). Cap was on the way down, and was at 11 when I had to step away. What was interesting is that he showed me tour guys who have similiar body styles to mine. He then compared my swing with theirs. I was to bent over, and my posture was not the best. Lag was good, my arms are a little ahead of my body at impact(I do not have the "2 cheeks at impact position") All he changed in my swing was to stand taller at address and my right hand position. He did also made a few changes to my set up, like alignment and ball position. What struck me is that just by looking at my swing, he could tell what my round breaker is. If I do not get off the tee box well, it just kills my score. He had me hit 'bunt' (very slow speed swings, felt like maybe 50% effort or so, but was probably more than that) drivers that were about 250 yds or so with just about 3 or 4 yards of cut on them, and a light kinda went off in my head. With my length on my shorter irons, I really have no need for a big swing on most par 4's and risking being in the crap off the tee. Not only did he help me with my swing, he also helped me understand how I need to play this game. I was hitting a 7 iron about 175 to 180 on their range with a little cut to within about 10 fett or so off the flag they had as the target. He made a change in my wedge swing, weight a little more forward on my left foot, shortened my backswing and follow through. I was just pounding wedges to about 2 feet from 100 yds or so. Looking forward to playing, and spending range time now tha tI have a gola to work towards.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Very similar to my first lesson. Nothing major to change, just the little things. My main problem was moving my head too much. :)

OP
B

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Very similar to my first lesson. Nothing major to change, just the little things. My main problem was moving my head too much. :)
Funny you should mention that. I was really concerned that I was moving way to much, but to my suprise, my head is very stable, snoulders get turned WAAAYY back, and arms get back fairly well. If I can get my arms to 'stay back' in my swing, I think that I can improve even more. I am leaving a little bit of distance on the table with my arm and body relation. I am not looking to improve it to gain yardage on the high end of my swing, but to be able to make more 80% swings with clubs and to not feel the need to pound it. What I liked about this guy is that he said that I would not need to see him a bunch, maybe once a month or so. Best money I have ever spent. It is just hard to explain how good it feels to know that my swing is in much much better shape than I could ever imagine. Videoing your swing is one of the best things I have ever had done.

🔥 Latest posts