• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So what's so special about these S Camerons?

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Aug 2, 2005
im been looking into getting a new putter...the one i have now is complete bunk. Anyway...i see lots of people raving over these Scotty Camerons or whatever...and i dont really know what they are or wahts so special about them.

How much do they cost?
Would i be better going with an oddyssey 2 ball?

all info is appreciated...thanks

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Put it this way... You're a student, right? They probably cost more than any student can afford.

I've always wanted a Scotty, because my full name is "Scott Cameron L*****". That would be cool having a putter that's named after you...

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
I just bought a Yes! Tracy. Primarily because I have a dog named Trayce. :D

I've always thought it was strange that the Yes! putters have got girls names. Does the founder have serious relationship problems and name a putter after all of his girlfriends, or something?!?!?!?!?!?!

BTW, are you serious? You bought a putter because of your dogs name? I'd usually buy a putter because it's a good putter, or it was recommended by someone. That's just me though... ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
lildudejds said:
im been looking into getting a new putter...the one i have now is complete bunk. Anyway...i see lots of people raving over these Scotty Camerons or whatever...and i dont really know what they are or wahts so special about them.

How much do they cost?
Would i be better going with an oddyssey 2 ball?

all info is appreciated...thanks

Duder,

A putter is worth as much as it sinks. If the feel, weight and looks help you sink more putts, then yes, it's worth it. But, if it's some $400 POS that doesn't sink anything, it's worthless.

If you think about it tho, if you're a good putter, you shouldn't need a $400 putter. BUT, if you're a good putter, you can justify spending $400 on a putter, right? Double edged sword.

And then there's guys like Doc that can't putt or stop buying putters...:D

R35

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
And then there's guys like Doc that can't putt or stop buying putters...

Hey, the Tracy will only be my third! Rock has spent more money than that on titanium nose rings! :D

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
So what is so special about them? Quality?....Price?...Name?....

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I own a couple of them. I have a Newport Mil-Spec, which is a classic heel-toe design. I have a Phantom Mallet, which is a - mallet. Both of them are exqusitly balanced, and have a very distinctive feel. Every time I try out any other putter (MacGregor, Odyssey, TaylorMade, Ping - you name it) I always go back to the Camerons (currently the Phantom Mallet). The balance and hit are unequalled, in my opinion. And I own LOTS of other heel-toe and mallet putters.

Whether it's a mental thing, or the feel and feedback really are better, I find my long putts consistently closer to the hole, and my short putts going in the hole, more often with the Camerons.

I also have an old SC Napa. I can't putt worth a damn with it, but that's because it's the old blade design, which just doesn't work for me. It is more of a collectible anyway.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I was in the anti-Cameron contingent for many years due to the pricing issue. How much better can a $300 USD putter be? Then I tried one. Now I have three of them.

Cameron putters just have a feel to them that is just awesome. They are milled out of a single piece of steel (exluding the inserts and some of the modern designs such as the Futura) to exacting specifications and weights to match the length of the putter. They are not poured castings. They are not forged into submission. They are milled pieces of art. More importantly, my distance control is better than with any other putter I have used. I tried the 2-ball, but I just could not get consistant distance control. I have tried other putters and the closest I could come to a Cameron for distance control was a Zebra mallet that I made from components a few years ago but that did not have anywhere close to the feel that the Cameron has. When putting with a Cameron, I can feel where the ball strikes the club head. A mis-struck put provides instance feedback and nothing feels as good as a putt struck on the sweetspot of a Cameron.

Camerons are expensive, especially if you buy them from a retailer. E-bay and golfclubexchange.com is the way to go. All of my Camerons were bought in an auction, and my favorite (Studio Style 33"/350g) was bought new on gce for significanl less than retail but still over $200 USD.

Are they worth it? They are to me, but I am not you. You can get some used but playable Camerons for under a $100 USD if you shop around some. I bought one cheap that I sent back to Scotty's shop to refinish. It will arrive looking just like a new putter, but my total investment will be over $200 USD when it is all said and done. Go out to your local retailer and try one out and see if it works for you. Just be warned that you may become addicted to them and no other putter will satisfy your thirst after you have tried one.

There are plenty of good putters available on the market, and most will retail for less than a Scotty. Find one that fits your style and wallet limitations, and more importantly find one that improves your putting.

Enjoy the search.:)

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i think i sum it up nicely when i say they are the rolls royce or ferrari of putters, supposed to be better crafted out of better materials by better people. i've hit a couple but don't see anything special to them so i can't justify putting that much money into one club. but to each their own, if it works for you and you absolutely drop everything with it, then maybe you could justify spending that much for one, putting is such a personal thing, the only real way to find one for you is to get out there and try them all. same goes for every club i suppose. good luck

Maverick

*mmuah*
Mar 23, 2005
I have a SC SS N2 and it is truly a beautiful piece..I don't even use it, but I got it for a crazy price..one of those things if I didn't I'd be kicking my self for it. I also have a rare Bettinardi that once I again I got at a great price..and I don't even use these when I play..my gamer is a Yes! Tracy and I sink tons with it..like Rock said..it's how you feel about it when you use a putter..I just want a SC Red X now..I promise..and no more putters. (My others are a Wilson 8813, SC Bullseye, Mizuno GT-203 (ugly but rolls it like a soft marshmellow)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.