• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

So, who's using a "component" driver head?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
With Indacup on here hawking the wares, I'd love to here some feedback from some of y'all who are using the component drivers.

1. What are you using? Shaft? Length?
2. How do you like it?

I'm thinking of assembling something, and I'd like some ideas. I had the perfect driver for me, but the dumb ho bug got me, and I ripped it down and sold it. (stupid,stupid,stupid!!!!)

If you want some stats on my current set-up:

TM R7 425 TP 10.5

Launch: 11-13 degrees
Spin: 3100-3500
Swing Speed: 94-110 mph (seriously, if I could just relax....)
Smash factor: Never has been above 1.39, even if I hit it well. This one bums me out, because the R5TP I had, I was almost always really high, 1.4-1.54 (yes its possible, read about "rate of closure")

Anyway, I love to here your experience, and if you have suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them! Thanks

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
SMT Encore Evolution 72g low torque mid kick, at 44"

10 degrees measured, 58 lie and 1 degree closed face angle

107mph swing speed

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
The last 11 years or so I have played almost exclusively component heads. The majority were from the Golfsmith line up (including Snake Eyes and Killer Bee) but I have a few others. The current driver in my bag is still the TEE, but I have a Geek DCT that I sub in on occasion depending on how I am swinging or if its windy. The only two OEM drivers I own are the TEE and a TM R5 TP I bought for the shaft from Global Golf.:laugh:

Current component drivers in recent rotation:

Geek DCT 9* Aldila NV 65 (thanks Rock :D) at 44". Awesome driver when I am swinging well and playing more frequently than a few times a month. Penetrating ball flight and great distance.

Snake Eyes Viper Ti-4 10.5* Graffalloy Comp NT 65 Proto at 44". This spent almost two year in the bag and is a solid driver. I hit it a little high due to the loft I selected, probably would not have switched out if I had bought a 9* loft.

Killer Bee B-Long 10.5* (square head) Graffalloy Blue at 44". Experiment. I hit it well when I am swinging poorly but tends to go left when I am swinging well. I could live with this set up, but not the best driver in my stable.

Snake Eyes 600Tj 14* Penley Stealth 65 at 44". Another experiment that I actually had in the bag for a while. This driver worked well when I was keeping the ball too far back in my stance. I always drew the ball with this club, but took right out of play. Wanted to try a high lofted driver but found it was way too high for me when I was swinging correctly. If I could have gotten hold of a 9* head, this driver may have found extensive playing time.

Snake Eyes Fire Forged 400cc 10*. Pro Force V2 at 44". My first foray into the large headed driver 5 years ago. I originally had a SE branded SE shaft in it that I decided to change out and eventually ended up with the V2 in it as an experiment as I had poor luck with the V2 in other heads. Great driver, just a bit outdated.

Working with indacup on my next purchase. :laugh:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I played a DCT for a time last year. Then I stupidly sold it (twice! LOL.) to some jerk down in Florida.:D

I've hit that extensively, and the new FSII from Geek as well. Both are fantastic heads that perform beautifully.

Clug, if you're swinging at 100+, the DCT is a bomber. It hits the ground running. I had mine mated with a Sabre Tour and the Graman UL780, both of which were great. The Fail Safe II is a higher launching head, but it doesn't balloon. Just deep.

In my opinion, the only way to know is to try one. Get your favorite shaft and a new head and swing the snot out of it. Then you'll know if it's for you or not.

I would play the DCT for 08 if someone gave one to me right now. It's that good.

R35

OP
Clugnut

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Clug, if you're swinging at 100+

R35

I do.. part of the time.:laugh: I seriously will clock 105-110 on one swing, than I will try for more, and it will drop into the low 90's. I know tension is a speed killer, but I just can't get it through my thick melon. I definitely look at the DCT. Anyone have a used 10.5 around?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I do.. part of the time.:laugh: I seriously will clock 105-110 on one swing, than I will try for more, and it will drop into the low 90's. I know tension is a speed killer, but I just can't get it through my thick melon. I definitely look at the DCT. Anyone have a used 10.5 around?

I'll have a look around.

If you play a 10.5* driver now, get an 11*. The DCT plays true to loft and is a bit lowering launching that what you're used to.

If I find anything, check your PM's.

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Its a great head, but I sold mine because the head measured 11.5 on a 10, I noticed when I got fitter after an accident and the ball started to balloon, the shaft was also a tad soft which didn't help. I was slightly disappointed re the QC though

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Its a great head, but I sold mine because the head measured 11.5 on a 10, I noticed when I got fitter after an accident and the ball started to balloon, the shaft was also a tad soft which didn't help. I was slightly disappointed re the QC though

Who did you buy yours through? Most heads are measured before being sold, hand picked to spec if requested...

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I bought from the UK distributor, so no probs there.

I liked it, and would use it again, and would have bought another but I live near an SMT dealer and could blag dem clubs.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
The heads listed here are all great but "for the money" (less then 1/2 those other heads) the Maltby CT250 can't be beat. Best bargain going. And true to loft. :)

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Currently have
Maltby CT250 Ti with ProLaunch Blue 46"
Integra SooLong with Solutions 130 shaft 46"

Have used
KZG PFT 300 with same ProLaunch Blue
Bang Dark Matter with Harrison striper
Bang Yellow Mellow with Striper

All have treated me well. And seriously considering Indacup's offer. Great value.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
i'm pretty sure that's the one - if I remember correctly, it was not the one with the composite crown

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I've got one with the composite head, and other than the fact that I had it built with a V2 stiff shaft which is to stiff for my swing speed I love it. And Rory is going to add some weight in the head to loosen up the shaft for me. IMO you can't go wrong dealing with Rory at Indacup.

🔥 Latest posts