• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Sobering...damn sobering

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
About two years ago, my brother-in-law was diagnosed with kidney cancer. I had never heard of it and quickly learned that it is pretty brutal.

I got online and was determined to find the best place in the US for treatment. I discovered that the annual Kidney Cancer Conference was being held in Chicago the following month. I signed up to go - as he was facing surgery to have his kidney removed and would be in recovery at the time of the conference.

The surgeons were able to remove his kidney through a scope and did not have to do an "open procedure" so he recovered pretty quickly and he went to Chicago with me. He began treatment before we left and it really drained him though.

At the opening of the conference, which was conducted completely by physicians, they showed a powerpoint presentation on survivability. The average patient survived 10 (ten) months! Fecking brutal.

One of the things that makes the disease so fatal is that it simply does not respond at all to traditional cancer treatments such a chemotherapy and radiation. No effect.

In any event, he began immunotherapy - which has a success rate of 8%. Yup this was the best available treatment with a single digit success rate. Other than that - death.

He responded to the immunotherapy for about nine months and we were hopeful. Had a good quality of life.

Then his body stopped responding to the immunotherapy. The cancer started growing.

I saw him in the hospital lately. On 54 yo - he looks like hell.

Really brings me back to earth...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Sorry Bravo. Things like this are sobering like you say and tend to help us get our priorities straight. It's good he has a brother-in-law like you though.

longiron

May 2, 2005
Bravo my familey and i will pray for you and yours. My wifes father is has cancer now and its just a race against the clock. We know what you guys are going through and will pray for you.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Some people get dealt the worst hands. It's too bad it's usually the good guys that do.

Give my best to the family, B. Remember, if you need anything, you know where to come...

R35

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Kidney Cancer

My mother died of kidney cancer in 1978, my brother lymphatic cancer 1987, my best friend last year of lymphatic cancer. I can really feel where you are coming from. I wish you and yours good health and your B-I-L total remission.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Davebud said:
My mother died of kidney cancer in 1978, my brother lymphatic cancer 1987, my best friend last year of lymphatic cancer. I can really feel where you are coming from. I wish you and yours good health and your B-I-L total remission.

I have lost two to lymphatic cancer...but there was a silver lining from the last death which occured about 15 years ago. Elizabeth was a woman in her late 20's when first diagnosed.

This woman's father is a local doctor (cardiologist) and he knew how to research specialty facilities for certain diagnoses. He found that the best place in the U.S. for the treatment of non-Hodgkins lymphoma was in Omaha Nebraska. He sent his daughter (our friend) there and she got an extension of her life for about three years - but then the cancer returned and she quickly died.

About three years later, another friend is diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. We quickly tell her about this speciality center in Omaha. At the time of her diagnosis - her disease was already progressed pretty badly.

Well she went to Omaha right off the bat and had six months of treatment - and was cured. She has been in total remission for over five years now. Her life expectancy at this point is typical of the rest of the population.

So some good came from us learning about our first friend's death.

So what I learned from this is - if someone in your life gets a serious disease - get on the internet and do your research. Even if you live in one of the largest cities in the world, and you have a prestigious local academic medical center - they cannot, simply cannot specialize in Everything. They must Pick and Choose certain programs and diseases to really focus their grant efforts on. And finding the very best facilities - no matter where they are - can make the difference between life and death. This man in Omaha has dedicated his entire career to one disease (non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) and has done a hell of a job.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Damn sobering indeed.

One of the aspects of the internet is this sense of loss or heartache we feel for people we don't even know. We know them in a virtual sense and they become friends even though we have never met.

This became particularly apparent to me 2 weeks ago when a member of my flight sim group passed away.

His story captivated me because I knew him only in passing.

His name is Micheal, his screen name, RAF_Angel.

Micheal had cancer since last year. He did the chemo thing and got better. He was well enough to participate in a small group motorcycle rally in May to Washington DC and the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum.

Micheal died 2 weeks ago.

His internet gaming, the group he belonged to, was so important to him that he was buried in his RAF662 hat and t-shirt.

The mourners at his funeral were very suprised to learn of the depth of his intenet involvement and how many friends he had from around the world.

The only person to speak at his funeral was a guy from our group.

He began by reading the posts from our message board. He read the message of condolence, the name of the poster and where they were from.
There were messages from every continent except Africa.

The internet is an amazing thing. People who have never before given the slightest thought to Bravo's brother in law and his family, are now praying for his recovery.

Including me.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Hey B,

Sorry to hear about that. And without trying to minimize things for you and yours, I just want to let you know that many of us understand how you feel and the difficulty that you guys are going through. All you guys can do is do whatever you can to make him feel better and find whatever the best care possible is.

Good luck and best wishes,

Mike

🔥 Latest posts

Members online