• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Solar Eclipse: Totality anyone?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Anybody in the path of totality for the April 8th solar eclipse? I live about 4 hours away from the path of totality, but my oldest son has a baseball tournament down in Bettendorf Iowa that weekend so I'm staying another day and taking the 2 hour drive further south to experience it.

I've seen a few eclipse but never been in the path of totality and considering the next one in the US isn't until 2044 and will be further from where I live, I'm making it a priority to see this one with the family. I'm sure the kids won't care that much...I know I didn't appreciate the things my parents took me to do when I was a kid...but the memories are still there.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
My suggestion is do whatever you can to be within the path of totality. When the last one came through a few years ago, my house was about 30 mins from totality so we were like 99.97% or something, and I figured that was good enough. Well that .03% winds up being pretty big. I did see a few stars but evidently it's nothing like totality and I regret not making the short drive south.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Yep, since we have to drive anyway, I've selected an area that is right in the middle of the totality path. Good to know it's worth the extra effort to get into the path.

The only thing I'm worried about is the potential traffic issues. However, I've planned to experience it out in the country and away from big cities, so hopefully we won't experience too many issues.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Very glad we made the trip. It was a traffic nightmare...and I knew it would be, but it was a bit worse than expected. No matter what way you tried to take, it was a disaster. Interstate, state highways, back roads...everything. We will plan ahead and get a hotel room or camp for the night and drive home the next day. I was 5 hours away from home to view the eclipse. I left our viewing area after the eclipse at 3pm and got home at 11:15pm. I'm no mathologist...but I believe that's more than 5hrs...essentially the entire state of Illinois was stop and go traffic.

Easton, my oldest boy(11) was pumped, he loved every second of it. Middle boy, Emmett (7), I looked over and he's over getting a snack and taking a drink in the middle of totality lol. Everett, the youngest (4), was meh, but he did like using the glasses to look at it, and thought it was cool that 'it got cold outside' and he could see stars/planets during the day. I personally loved every single second of the 4:09 of totality I got to spend with my family. The word awesome gets over used, but this was absolutely awesome. There's not many things that I would spend over 12 hours to experience 4 minutes of and be willing to do it again.

I will get some pictures up tomorrow. I'm headed to bed. I spent WAYY to much time traveling today.

Members online

No members online now.