• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Solheim Cup, Sugar Grove, IL

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
The Solheim Cup is being contested down in the flat lands this August. Pretty easy drive from the Milwaukee area. My eleven year old daughter is really starting to enjoy the LPGA on TV, and my wife and I are thinking about taking her down.

Kids are free and they have some clinic type stuff going on. Adults are $125 for the week for a regular ticket, and $350 for the week for the bells and whistles ticket, (air conditioned tents, restaurants, bathrooms, VIP parking, etc).

I'm a little concerned that the limited field size makes it difficult to see much of the action.

Have any of you Shot Talkers ever attended a Solheim Cup? If so, how was it? Would it keep a by that time twelve year old interested?

Kevin

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Esox, my man, it's the Solheim Cup we're talking about here, not the Ryder Cup. At the prices you're quoting I don't think overly large galleries will be an issue.

Sounds like it would be worth you going for your daughters sake, but I can't seriously see too many people parting with that sort of cash just to watch a womens event. Two years ago they hosted a Lexus Cup event in Australia, and the only reason I even heard about it was from reading a golf mag. It didn't get one mention on the local news. I know the Solheim Cup is probably a bit bigger than Korea vs the rest of the world, but not by much.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Esox, my man, it's the Solheim Cup we're talking about here, not the Ryder Cup. At the prices you're quoting I don't think overly large galleries will be an issue.

Sounds like it would be worth you going for your daughters sake, but I can't seriously see too many people parting with that sort of cash just to watch a womens event. Two years ago they hosted a Lexus Cup event in Australia, and the only reason I even heard about it was from reading a golf mag. It didn't get one mention on the local news. I know the Solheim Cup is probably a bit bigger than Korea vs the rest of the world, but not by much.

It's Tuesday through Sunday for $125. Hardly really expensive. A movie is ten bucks.

Kevin

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I thought the last Solheim Cup was the best, most compelling, most interesting tournament of the year. Those women played very high-level golf in some difficult conditions.

I'd go in a heartbeat. At $125 it's a no-brainer.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
My eight year old daughter (who has already announced her intentions to turn pro and who has a lovely swing) has been on me for over a year to take her to a tourney. We're going in May to see on of the lesser LPGA ones, but the crowds are still pretty big. We've already got it planned--start at the ninth green, so we can watch lots of the players come through, and then follow Paula Creamer (my daughter's favorite) for the back nine. I recommend some sort of similar strategy--a mix of following players and staying in one place.

Once they leave the scorer's tent, most players are pretty approachable. They've got the message about being nice to the fans, particularly the young girls. Bring water, lots of sunscreen, and a portable chair. You'll have fun.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
It's Tuesday through Sunday for $125. Hardly really expensive. A movie is ten bucks.

Kevin
I thought you quoting prices ofr the weekend only, which seemed a little high. For a whole week it's reasonable value, if you wanna watch 'professionals' hit driver to where you would be hitting 3 iron.

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
For a whole week it's reasonable value, if you wanna watch 'professionals' hit driver to where you would be hitting 3 iron.

Women hater, huh? Never had much luck with the ladies? I also noticed your disdain for women players in the Michelle Wie thread. Just a heads up, but making fun of women doesn't get them to like you once you get past about the third grade.

I enjoy watching the LPGA. More importantly, my eleven year old daughter enjoys watching the LPGA. I'm also hoping to take her to the Women's U.S. Amateur this summer at Erin Hills, in Erin, WI. We'll enjoy that, too.

Kevin

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I don't believe I have ever enjoyed reading one of figjam's posts, ever. All negative, or rude, etc. LPGA players would kick your ass on the course pal. Grow the hell up...

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Women hater, huh? Never had much luck with the ladies? I also noticed your disdain for women players in the Michelle Wie thread. Just a heads up, but making fun of women doesn't get them to like you once you get past about the third grade.

I enjoy watching the LPGA. More importantly, my eleven year old daughter enjoys watching the LPGA. I'm also hoping to take her to the Women's U.S. Amateur this summer at Erin Hills, in Erin, WI. We'll enjoy that, too.

Kevin

I knew there was a reason I liked you. Too bad we can't give rep any more.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
Sounds like a deal. I wanted to go to an LPGA tourney but since Annikas is done and they don't play in Aiken anymore I am gonna have to check the schedule and see what is close. I always figured the LPGA tourneys would be more like the Heritage.....a little bit smaller crowds so you can see more of the action and get a bit closer to some shots.

Jason

🔥 Latest posts