• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Some days can be awfully rough....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
We adopted our Black Labe 2 years and 10 months ago. Just returned from the vet where we had to have her euthanized. When we met Abby, she had had a tough life. Picked up as a pregnant stray in Oklahoma and taken to a kill shelter. A local rescue brought her here. She had nine pups and we brought her to our home soon after the pups were weaned. She was a straggly looking mess. Hair gone. Ribs showing. She turned in to a beautiful dog.
Abby was a perfect "old folks" dog. In three years she never once messed in the house. She would sleep all night. Just all one could ask for. She and I walked many miles for the exercise both of us needed.
A couple days ago, she seemed clingy. Didn't eat her supper last night and that was odd. During the night she began vomiting. I just thought she had eaten something that didn't agree with her. Over the morning, she slowly became a little lethargic. Between noon and 2 she really deteriorated. Took her to the vet and they said she was already in shock. Said it appeared to be a twisted spleen. Expensive surgery would not guarantee success. And, in shock with blood pressure dropping they didn't know if she would even live long enough to make it to surgery. Did not seem in any pain. Seemed the only choice was to have her euthanized.
She had three years of good life she would never had experienced if not in our home. Still tough on both the wife and I.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
We adopted our Black Labe 2 years and 10 months ago. Just returned from the vet where we had to have her euthanized. When we met Abby, she had had a tough life. Picked up as a pregnant stray in Oklahoma and taken to a kill shelter. A local rescue brought her here. She had nine pups and we brought her to our home soon after the pups were weaned. She was a straggly looking mess. Hair gone. Ribs showing. She turned in to a beautiful dog.
Abby was a perfect "old folks" dog. In three years she never once messed in the house. She would sleep all night. Just all one could ask for. She and I walked many miles for the exercise both of us needed.
A couple days ago, she seemed clingy. Didn't eat her supper last night and that was odd. During the night she began vomiting. I just thought she had eaten something that didn't agree with her. Over the morning, she slowly became a little lethargic. Between noon and 2 she really deteriorated. Took her to the vet and they said she was already in shock. Said it appeared to be a twisted spleen. Expensive surgery would not guarantee success. And, in shock with blood pressure dropping they didn't know if she would even live long enough to make it to surgery. Did not seem in any pain. Seemed the only choice was to have her euthanized.
She had three years of good life she would never had experienced if not in our home. Still tough on both the wife and I.

I’m sorry to hear that Limp. Dogs and friends are the family we choose. My thoughts are with you and SWMBO. Keep your chin up.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Thanks, guys. Grew up with dogs on the farm. We've always had dogs during our marriage. Never easy to see one go. This one was sorta special in that she and I spent a lot of time together on our walks. Even though she liked everyone, she was definitely "my" dog. Certainly didn't expect her to go this young and this quick. Still, the way she easy and quick way she went was so much better than seeing her suffer into old age.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Sorry to hear this limp. This is why I no longer have dogs in our family. They are too smart, too loyal, too cute, too much like a close friend. We have cats. You can pet them and they do show affection but are much easier to let go of when their time is up.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Sorry to see that Limp. They certainly burrow deep into your heart.

My puppy ate a piece of soap today when I wasn’t looking. Rang the vets. They said soap can give them vomiting and diarrhoea. Next thing I know, puppy is at the vets for a couple of hours of observation and a precautionary anti nausea injection. We have to keep an eye on her for the next 3 days. If she starts vomiting, we have to take her to the vet straight away.

Dogs. [facepalm]

Last edited:

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks, guys. Grew up with dogs on the farm. We've always had dogs during our marriage. Never easy to see one go. This one was sorta special in that she and I spent a lot of time together on our walks. Even though she liked everyone, she was definitely "my" dog. Certainly didn't expect her to go this young and this quick. Still, the way she easy and quick way she went was so much better than seeing her suffer into old age.

So sorry for your loss Limp. It’s never easy losing a pet. You can take comfort in knowing she had 3 great years with you and your wife. And you said it, probably wouldn’t have happened anywhere else!! Doesn’t make it any easier I know, but at least she had some good times!! RIP pup!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Difficult, indeed, to lose a pet. Still, thinking of the many who lost everything... including lives... this past week in California. We had a 23 year old arrested this week on first degree murder charges for beating a 2-year old child to death. Our family has so much to be thankful for. A dog blessed our home with her company for three years. That was a gift. We have shed tears over the loss of Abby. We will remember her fondly. Our focus, however, should be on the "new" such as a set of twins Louis is so proud of... and should be. Our focus, however, should be on trying to make the neighborhood, the community, the state, the nation, and the world better by helping those in dire need.

When I came home from drinking coffee at the golf course, this morning, I really missed seeing that large black dog perched right on the edge of the entry way where she always greeted me. It hurt. Still, I had a home to return to... not ashes. As we clean up that infernal long black shed of hair for the last time, we still have floors and couches and things that always attracted her hair. So many aren't not that blessed.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Sorry for your loss, my friend. Our black lab, Lilly, is almost 9 and just starting to show a little age. It actually scares me a little to think that her time is short relative to mine. It's not something I want to go through, I hate you are having to.

🔥 Latest posts