• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Some wisdom needed from you "Pro Hoes"

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
Hi guys,

Well, I've got a chance to pickup this new set of irons I've been hitting. They are the Callaway BB Fusion irons 4-PW and SW (8total)

They were on the wall at Golf USA at +1" and 3 degrees upright. The sticker was $799.00 (barely used for a month by the Pro at the shop while he wiated on his Fusions w/ Rifles)

He said "we can do better than that"...referring to the price, but didn't give me a specific, just sent me out the door to play them for a week or so.

I was measured at +1 - +1.5 and 4 degrees upright.

QUESTIONs:

1) Will that 1 degree difference be the end of the world? Remember I had been playing standard length/lie for the last 3 years not knowing any better.

2) How low would you realistically expect them to let them go for? I was thinkig something like offering them $650.00 and they re-grip them for me. Sound fair?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Peace, Bryan

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I'm not sure if this much for advice but the guy I caddy for is selling those exact irons (they were his dad's who won them and hasn't really played them). They need to be reshafted, his dad has some quirky specs when it comes to golf clubs, but they are standard lie. I bet if you choose the shafts and grips he would install them for you, or if you want to purchase them "as is" he would give you a deal. Let me know if you are interested.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
"barely used" is still used. Plus, at +1" and 3º up, there's not going to be a lot of people interested in them.

I'd say have them take $200 off, re-grip, AND bend them to 4º up...especially if you were fitted at their store.

Fitting should be free since you're buying a set from them...if they measured you and charged you, ask for that fee off the cost, also.

Start there and see what happens is my suggestion.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah.. I 'd talk them down like mad. Callaway's are cast so they won't risk bending them back down to standard. You are the perfect customer for those. Let them make you a good deal and then knock off another 20% with your offer.

OP
bryank

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
Ok, great advice guys. I had thought that bore throughs were tougher to adjust lie on...but may have been somethig I read and got confused on.

Bames - thanks for the offer, but I think I may should have mentioned they are willing to let me pop them a couple hundred here and there as I'm self employed and money is either feast or famine. That may hurt my bargaining power...so I won't push too much....somewhere in the 600 range with new grips and adjust the lie.

I may be screwed on the fitting as he technically called it a "lesson" vs. fitting...so I bet thats how they get around the applying the fee to purchase.

Nice to know they are somewhat specialized clubs and I have a bit of room to move with them on the price. My first time buying "real" clubs so I wasn't sure where to go on the bargaining....last thing I want to do is lose a decent shop that was nice enough to let me play them a while free of charge.

Thanks again, this board and the folks on it are tops!

Peace, Bryan

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Bames - thanks for the offer, but I think I may should have mentioned they are willing to let me pop them a couple hundred here and there as I'm self employed and money is either feast or famine. That may hurt my bargaining power...so I won't push too much....somewhere in the 600 range with new grips and adjust the lie.

Peace, Bryan

No worries, if it falls through just let me know.

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
that price isnt very good. I would talk it down quite a bit. Specs like that arnt going to fit many people, they should be looking to get rid of them.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
that price isnt very good. I would talk it down quite a bit. Specs like that arnt going to fit many people, they should be looking to get rid of them.

Exactly... these are a "buyer's market" product. As far as "fitting" as a lesson? Give me a break... shops have to give a rest with charging for basic customer service or they will go out of business real quick. They can't remotely compete with Ebay or even basic internet club dealers like Golfsmith. There only advantages are seeing and getting the product then and there (essentially a tangible good vs. the internet "tangible in a week" good). As well as the ability to physically offer customer service, if they try to increase profit by charging for the customer service.... there will be another guy down the street who doesn't by the end of the year. I equate it to a car dealer charging $50 for a test drive, imagine that.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Callaway's are cast so they won't risk bending them back down to standard.

Ezra76

You can bend cast steel just like forged steel. Cast "iron" (gray iron not ductile iron like Cleveland uses) is brittle, NOT cast steel.... :D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I just checked on Ebay and these irons go for a lot more than I thought. Your original idea of $650 with new grips would not be a bad deal. I'd still try to talk them down. You won't have to worry too much about someone walking in who needs 3* upright, that is a lot. What are you like 6'9" or something.
icon10.gif

OP
bryank

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
Thanks guys, all this info really helps me to go in armed and ready tomorrow :)

I had been checking on Ebay and got a good idea of what an 8 club set of these are going for used.

Even then I hit the issue of still needing to purchase a 3 iron, or something to fill the gap between my 5wood and the 4iron in this set.

Not quite that tall Ezra, just 6'5

Arrrgh! Sometimes I miss the days of bliss gone by when I didn't understand a thing about lie/loft/ etc. and just figured every bad shot was all me! :)

Think I'll try and sell all my extra clubs and my Cobra set soon to help raise some funds.

Thanks all, I sincerely appreciate your help.

Peace, Bryan

Pullmeister

Dec 6, 2006
Before you do anything you should consider getting rechecked from a different fitter. 4 dergree upright and overlength is a very rare combination. I cant even imagine how you could hit standard clubs if thats what you really need. ... and AFAIK borethru Callaways arent really bendable for lie.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I just checked on Ebay and these irons go for a lot more than I thought. Your original idea of $650 with new grips would not be a bad deal. I'd still try to talk them down. You won't have to worry too much about someone walking in who needs 3* upright, that is a lot. What are you like 6'9" or something.
icon10.gif

Ezra76

I'm 6'0" and play 1/4" over and 3º upright. (Short arms).... :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.