• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Someone figure this out!

Tee 1 Up

Jul 24, 2007
We played a side game some time ago and really liked it . It gave everyone no matter the skill level a chance to win. So I was looking on line for it and found it but I can't remember if the high score wins or the low I can't think straight right now. So here's a example and you tell me.

Throughout the round, the golfer accrues points based on the following formula:

Double bogey or worse - 0 points
Bogey - 1 point
Par or better - 2 points

At the end of the round, points earned are tallied. The total is subtracted from 36, and the resulting number is the golfer's handicap allowance. His net score can then be computed using his System 36 handicap allowance.

For example, let's say you go out and shoot 90, and along the way to that 90 you have seven pars, nine bogeys, and two double-bogeys or worse.

First, calculate your accrued points:
7 (pars) x 2 (points per par) = 14
9 (bogeys) x 1 (point per bogey) = 9
2 (doubles or worse) x 0 (points per double) = 0

So your point total is 23.

Now, subtract this total from 36:
36 - 23 = 13
So 13 is your handicap allowance. Now apply this to your gross score:
90 - 13 = 77

And 77 is your net score based on System 36 handicapping.

So if one scored a 77 and one shot a 78 which is the winner since you are building points to be in return knocked off?
agolfrewound.com_forums_images_smilies_hmmm.gif

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
While the subtraction from 36 seems like it is there just to confuse matters, you are describing a modified Stableford system. For which they even have an event for the PGA in Castle Rock, CO every year. Basically the high score wins. Although again, they just have a plus value. You are correct in that it basically disregards really bad blowup holes. This link may help:

Stableford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

edit 1 - I stand corrected. It says in the link that "The International" was canceled last year. Shows how much I keep up with the PGA.

🔥 Latest posts