• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

South Padre Island Golf Club, South Padre, TX

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
My parents now live in the Rio Grande Valley area on the south tip of Texas. Most every year I head down there over Super Bowl weekend and play a LOT of golf. It is always windy. Not just breezy, but the definition of WINDY.

This review is for one of the courses I hit each year. The South Padre Island Golf Club. It is not actually on the Island. It is all they way across the Laguna Madre from the island and you can see the hotels and the causeway on the island on a few of the holes.

I just love this course. It is really, really a challenge. Bring extra balls.

It is a unique layout in that every hole is different. Different approach shots. Different thoughts on the tee. I try to play it every time I come down.

The most unique hole, IMO, is a short par 4 that you carry it across the Laguna Madre. Only, every time I have played the hole, the tide is out. So it is just packed sand that really isn't all that wet. Invariably either myself or my pal end out having to play a shot from the Laguna. Big hitters can drive the green carrying the Laguna. If you want to lay up with a mid-iron off the tee, there is OB left and the hole doglegs right. So it isn't all that "tight" but if you pull it or hook it, you will most likely be in someone's back yard and hitting 3 from the tee.

I started playing the course before there were houses on it. At that time it was a $35 or $40 layout. EXCELLENT for that price. I think it is a 4.5 star layout in Golf Digest's Places to Play. Over the years they have added housing everywhere and the price has gone up. It is now about $70 with cart. It's a little pricey, but there is a way around it.

Every year it seems they have a stay-and-play package with a couple hotels on SPI. If you are going to play with a friend, this REALLY works out well.

This year my friend and I stayed in at the Radisson on SPI with a Gulf view for $90 apiece after taxes etc. This one night stay also included a round of golf at SPIGC with cart and range balls.

When we got to SPIGC in the morning for our tee time (we booked the tee time 2 weeks in advance through the hotel) we inquired about a replay rate. It is $20 to play your second 18 in the afternoon with a cart.

On a Saturday.

So our night on the Island, plus two rounds of golf, with cart, and morning range balls cost us each $110. Not bad for a course that charges $70 per round.

With the stay-and-play package I would encourage anyone coming to the area to play. It is a great deal. Even without it, this course is worth playing for $70. I wouldn't do it every year, maybe every other, but it is a really nice course.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Played this course 5 times. I agree with everything said. Flat but challenging. Hole # 4 does invite you to cut the corner but an accurate tee shot is demanded.

Comfort Suites offered a deal of $70 with 18 holes of golf and a hot breakfast.I viewed the offer as FREE golf. There are many thing to do in the area when not golfing. Plus it is one of the most southern points of the lower 48.A good thing in the winter.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online