• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Speed of play!

295yards

May 5, 2009
Not sure how to describe it but these guys behind us were ridulously fast this morning it was actually irritating!
Not sure I should even try this as an excuse but it actually messed my game up.
My brother and I had the first tee time and a power cart and could not shake these two people walking behind us and the distances on some holes from the last green to the next tee is actually quite a bit longer than on most courses.
They weren't on the first tee or anywhere around when we set off from the pro shop, and they were already on our heels on the par 5 second.
My brother kept on about how the people behind us were right on our asses. I said we should wait and let them through, it was irrritating, I felt completely rushed but he wanted to stop never wanted to let them through. I was pissed.
I was hitting the ball horrible. It was sunny in your face and on some holes you could not see your tee shots. If you were in the rough it was thick, wet and every blade of grass looked like a ball from the reflection.
Even though I was struggling to find my ball on every shot we still managed to finish the front nine in around 50mins. Way too fast for me!
It was completely annoying. After around 6 holes I was curious how the hell these people could play so fast, so I looked back and saw that as soon as they could go, they would fire away and grab their pull carts and dash away a full paced, almost jogging. Come on!

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Regardless of your brother's desires, you should have simply let them through. If you simply stopped and waited, what else could he do?

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I don't see the problem. It's no different than getting out of the left lane(fast lane) on the highway.

Where's the problem with moving over, and letting someone obviously faster go through.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It can get even more annoying if you're playing with these types. They seem to play like the only emphasis is to get off the course as quick as possible.

I wonder if they actually remember the game rather than the elapsed time on their stopwatch.

I sort of imagine them talking in the bar, not about their shots or score, but about their quickest time for a round.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
I like to play fast, but a couple of weeks ago playing as a twosome we could not shake a 4 some that was behind us. We were walking and they were in carts. They never actually had to wait on a shot, but they were loud and obnoxious (playing loud rap music) yelling obscenities at each other and I wanted to put them out of touch.
We never could. My wife wanted to let them through and I probably would have if they actually pushed us but I was too pi$$ed at their behavior to just step aside.

Did I say that they were loud and obnoxious and most likely half in the bag? They were also verrrry good. Every now and then I would look back after putting and see 3-4 long tee shots in the fairway.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
When we played sunday at Fireridge, the course was pretty busy. We played as 2 threesomes & we were waiting on the group in front of us who were waiting on the group in front of them, etc.

We had this foursome behind us for the front 9 & they were some pretty fast players. They had 2 guys in a cart & 2 women who were walking. How the hell those women were keeping up I will never know. We played a scramble & played as fast as the groupings would allow.

Anyways, those 2 women only played the front 9 so it was just the 2 guys on the back & they were playing up our asses the entire time. No way were we allowing them thru because there was no place to go. But they would stand on the teebox or in the fairway looking at us & acting pissed off.

spartyon8

Cubbie Fever
Feb 23, 2008
In the OP's case, those "quick" players might be doing an exercise golf routine. We have a lot at the local 9 holes around here. It's like speed golf. I talked with one of the seniors and he told me he does this everyday for his exercise as he sits in the house and reads the paper for the rest of the day.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
My rule of thumb is if the players behind are waiting on the tee for more then a couple holes and there aren't any groups directly ahead for them to run into they should be able to play through.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Uh, let the faster group play through?

I don't care if they are a 5-some and I'm a two-some in a cart. If they are faster, I let them through. And so should anyone that is sane.

Write it on the chalkboard 100 times.....

I will let faster groups play through.
etc. etc. etc. until it starts to sink in.

Let faster groups play through.

Some people out there feel it is dishonorable or something to let a faster group through. Like it will disgrace their family. Even more would rather shit in their hand than let a faster group through.

It's sad really.

Saturday morning, 6AM, 3rd hole. I am a walking single putting out on a par 3. 3 older walking guys are just teeing off on the par 5. I putt out, walk quickly down to the tee box and tee up. These guys are 60 yards off the tee and look back.

Do they step aside and say, "Go ahead"? They are only 60 yards out. No, they look back, see me ready to tee, and start JOGGING to their balls. I could not believe it. I was ready and could have easily bombed it over their heads and past any of their balls. They could have walked at their normal pace and NEVER even waited a second on the hole.

So I ended up waiting over 4 minutes for these marroons to find and hit. Then another 5 minutes while they putt out and I'm waiting to hit my 3rd. From 75 yards. That hole took me easily an extra 10 minutes to play than should have been necessary considering it was 6AM and myself and the 3 dufuses were the only ones out on the course.

Please let faster players play through.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
It's pointless to let them play thru if the course is packed, where are they going to go???

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
It's pointless to let them play thru if the course is packed, where are they going to go???

entirely correct. But if they are climbing up your ass what is gained by being in front of them? let em thru and and then they can be possibly (and i say possibly) feel like idiots for pushing you and then have you waiting on them. and if then they dont feel like idiots, they are in fact idiots.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

Precisely.

Personally, I find 'ADHD speed golfers' just as annoying as the 'take all day slow pokes'.

If they don't like other golfers ahead of them, they can rent out the course.

OP
295yards

295yards

May 5, 2009
Regardless of your brother's desires, you should have simply let them through. If you simply stopped and waited, what else could he do?

You're totally right! I should've given myself the respect I deserve. If I am feeling rushed on every shot I should just stop, and tell him we were letting them through.

🔥 Latest posts