• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spent 3 hours at Golftown over the Easter weekend

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
heres my observations.

Every driver I picked up felt long and had a closed face with 1 exception, the Ping G10. It was still long as hell (club length) but sat dead square. The Cobra drivers I held made me tremble they were so shut faced. I hit 5 different clubs just for shits and giggles and here is my take on them.

Cally Ft-i - They had no tour model in Left so I hit a 9* with stock S flex shaft. I hit everything with about a 20 yard draw and averaged 4000 rpm of spin and a 15* launch angle. That shaft is way to soft feeling and the face way way shut looking. I could never get use to this thing in this set up.

Ping G10 - again this is a stock S flex at 9*. I really liked this club, easily the best club I touched all day, and by a country mile. I hit a dozen 5 yard draws in a row. Average spin was 3200 rpm and launch angle was 13.7*. I would play this in a heartbeat. Way to expensive though.

Nike Sumo 5000 and 5900 - both felt awful, horrid even. I never hit a solid feeling shot with either. Both felt light and looked enormous, especially the 5900. This is easily the biggest looking club on the market.

Hi-bore XLS - again no tour, again way to shut. Felt good, looked pretty good too. I was beat at this point and didnt even pay attention to the numbers.

I then spent an hour playing with putters. Man are putter way overpriced.
I couldnt believe how small the faces of some of the new TM putters were, barely as big as the ball in some cases. Real hard to get used to.
After an hour I found nothing I liked. All the LH putters were 35 inches long and felt like telephone poles to me at this length.

In the end I was stunned at the prices of everything, drivers, irons, putters all ridiculously priced. I also couldn't believe how many people I saw buying stuff. I saw a guy hit a TM driver 5 times and say he'll take it, also bought the 3 and 5 woods. With Tax he was over a grand. I felt like punching him in the throat for being such an idiot. Oh well, I wont be back anytime soon.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
With Tax he was over a grand. I felt like punching him in the throat for being such an idiot.

lmfao...yeah, i have been there on a few occasions

I cannot believe what some people will pay to play the "Latest and Greatest" crap on the market...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
lmfao...yeah, i have been there on a few occasions

I cannot believe what some people will pay to play the "Latest and Greatest" crap on the market...

I am glad they do, it will show up on eBay at a discount in a few months when it does not work for them. :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I am glad they do, it will show up on eBay at a discount in a few months when it does not work for them. :D

Bing-go.

Well said. The "filter down effect" is strong in this one. :thumbs up:

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
So this is the true meaning of trickle down economics? :laugh:

Yes.

Goofballs go out and pay full retail on their drivers, guys that "invest" in them being the next and greatest. They then dump their stock at an appropriate time, usually losing their shirts in the process.

Then guys like you and I pick up the leftovers from Callaway and TM.

Then, "government agencies" like Global Golf bail out fledgling companies of their "NikeX" stock, and saps like WBL pick them up for 10 cents on the dollar. :ugly25:

It's pretty simple, really.

R35

Jun 24, 2006
3 hours on a long weekend? Light weight..I spent 3 hours there in one day a couple weeks ago. Mind you I was demoing irons as I'm in the market, and waiting for a fitter to be free. Was waiting for one guy that really seems to know his stuff. Some of the other FOOLS are just that. I know all the guys by name, and they know me. :)

Golf Central (only in NS and NB) have HIGHER prices than GT. >.<

Punched in the throat? you watch The Office too, huh?:D

EDIT: what did you think of the sims? distance/accuracy wise.

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
Was this the Golftown on Empress St. in Winnipeg?

If so, I don't think the sims are accurate, weren't for me anyway.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Was this the Golftown on Empress St. in Winnipeg?

If so, I don't think the sims are accurate, weren't for me anyway.

Are you saying my swing speed doesnt range from 90 to 118mph? :prop:

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
LOL. I'm afraid not.

I didn't even bother to look at my swingspeed.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Did you look at the X speed Cobra L4V ? I know the F and M versions are closed, but the X speed was dead square for me when I hit it yesterday.

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah those guys who drop a grand to try the latest and greatest are too dumb to realize that when the driver or FW don't work for them its probably the shaft not the head anyways.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online