• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Spike review...remember this?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Well, time has flown and it's time to get down and dirty with my golf spike review. I have three varieties that i've given a go over the past two seasons, these are my findings.

Black Widow by Softspikes

This is the world leader in spike sales. I think that's somewhat skewed in the fact that MANY of the leading shoe manufacturers use them exclusively. However, they are a good spike. Relatively cheap and you get about a half dozen extras in a handy carrying case. No wrench in my case, which I always found odd. I've bought about 5 pairs of these in the last 3 years. Basically because I'm cheap. Not the longest wearing, however. I walk almost every round, so they get there share of abuse.

Looks - 8
Grip - 7
Wear - 5
Price - 8

Shadow by Softspikes

Hey, where did my spikes go?

These spikes are garbage. As mentioned above, a top seller. But cheap and cheap for a reason. I got maybe a months worth of wear out of these at the range and on the course. I lost one, which i didn't lose any of the other in almost triple the amount of time wearing them. These came in a set of Etonics I had, I quickly changed them out for widows and they still sit in them as I type this from two years ago. Weak at best.

Looks - 5
Grip - 5
Wear - 3
Price - 9

Scorpion Stinger by Champ Spikes

This spike is what turned me on to doing a review. They looked super cool and the wear indicator was a novelty. I threw these in just after Christmas and have had them in ever since. What a spike. They look brand new after almost a full season. Tremendous grip, even in the very wet and on hills. I was skeptical at first about these - I mean, it's a golf spike....which sorta goes to the heart of this review....why am I doing this again? Anyways, these things are the real deal. A bit pricey in comparison to the Widows (about 8 bucks a set in Canada) but they a) came with a spike tool and b) came with 10 extra spikes. 10! That's a full shoe! These are definitely my spike of choice from here on in.

Looks - 9
Grip - 10
Wear - 9
Price - 7

I have plans to try some others as time goes on. I realized that a spike review almost has to be ongoing as you can't really give them a shot without a significant amount of time passing.

Anyways, I know this was long awaited. Scorpions reign supreme so far...

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I love the scorpions. I use the pinks ones, they rock.

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
Thanks you i was needing some new spikes for my nikes so I will give the Scorpions a go.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
As much fun as was had at your expense when you first tried to do this review, I never would have heard of the Stingers had you not done so. I fully agree with your reviews. Only I would also add that the satisfaction of being able to get the spike of my shoe without considering a drill to use on the spike, or on the front of my skull for a lobotomy as I considered many times with the Widows. They can be a little difficult sometime, but the Widows absolutely drove me nuts and was probably my key for changing.

In this area I can find the Widows for around $9-10 and the Scorpians run $10-11. A very small price to pay for my sanity in being able to get the spike out of the shoe, getting more in the box, and getting almost double the wear if not more. I just bought 3 more packs a couple weeks ago, which is the true sign I will be changing. When I got my last ones, not only do the come with the spike tool, which I don't use because I had to buy one with maximum leverage for use on the Widows, but a Mini Sharpie Marker. I would gladly paid the extra even if they had less or equal life and fewer in the box than the widows, simply for being able to get the spike out of my shoe.

Thanks

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Sometimes with getting old spikes out I've found that using a screwdriver to lift up the old ones, and squirting some WD-40 under that and down into the threads, giving it a few minutes to soak, saves a lot of cursing and cussing.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
Sometimes with getting old spikes out I've found that using a screwdriver to lift up the old ones, and squirting some WD-40 under that and down into the threads, giving it a few minutes to soak, saves a lot of cursing and cussing.
We talked about this a while back, and I will simply add that KA mentioned a couple things he did which worked well for me when I still used the Widows. Letting the cleats soak in a shallow pool of water, or heating the points on the cleat tool to melt into the spike. Although I have only had this happen on one spike with the Scorpians, and it was likely equal to a good time with the widows where I just used a little leverage. I am pretty certain I will never use Widows again as long as they make Scorpians.

Actually, I am not sure if I am just hard on cleats with the courses up here, and all the rocks and such. I have about 3 pairs of golf shoes I wear regularly, and I would like replace the spikes in each one 3-4 times a year with the Widows. After putting the Scorpians to use at the beginning of this year, I have likely only changed less than 1/2 the cleats in each shoe at the most. So I have probably only changed about 10 to 12 spikes. Out of that only 1 was hard to remove.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Those sound like good ideas too. I just came up with the WD-40 idea when recently changing mine, and couldn't get a particular pair of spikes off the bottom of each shoe. In the meantime, I had looked at the spikes which I had already removed, and noticed that the threads were showing some rust. Ah ha, I thought to myself, maybe those particular ones are a bit more rusted, along with the position on the bottom of my shoe have gotten a bit more twisted in, so I got one of my cans of WD-40, used a flathead screw driver to pry up the obstinate spikes, and squirted. I then turned the shoes soles up so as to make sure the WD-40 would work down into the threads, and 5 minutes later, the spikes came free nice and easy, albeit showing that they were rusted.

It might be worth mentioning I had gone some time without changing them. I think it helps that I'm a lighter fellow, it slows down the wear and reduces the force of any twisting in all probability.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
In the meantime, I had looked at the spikes which I had already removed, and noticed that the threads were showing some rust.
That makes sense. I forgot about the metal threaded spikes. I used to have a pair of Bites that had them, all my others have been the plastic. Although I believe a pair of my wifes Ecco's have metal. I will have to remember that. She goes through so few spikes that will likely be the case when I change them.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Champion Scorpion Stingers are where its at. I have them in small screw in, q-lok, and tri-lock for my 3 different sets of shoes. I have noticed no difference in grip or wear among the three different attachment types so they should work well in any of the offered formats.

Thanks for the review, Rock.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Yeah, I love the Scorpions, too. Ever since Ben Sayers/Champ Rep. gave me a whole pile of them ages ago I have been biggin' them up to loadsa folk. They rock !

On the subject of spikes; if you happen to restud your Footjoys with these and you give them back as they're faulty, or whatever, make sure they have Pulsar cleats in them as Footjoy/Acushnet won't touch them as they're not guaranteed with the warrenty with anything else other than Black Widdow TM. cleats.

Thanks..:)

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005

One of the tricks to getting spikes out that worked for me is too tighten them a little before trying to back them out. I mean just a touch. Once I would start to see them move then I would go the other way. I don't know if all spikes are the same, but to turn mine out is counter clockwise.
Hope it helps..

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
For metal-threaded spikes, dab some vaseline on the threads before installing the spikes. A good heavy grease (like axle grease) is even better, if you have it handy.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
As much as it pains me to admit that Rock might be correct about anything, Champ Scorpion Stinger spikes appear to be the real deal.

I bought a container last week with 20 new spikes in yellow, a flimsy spike tool that I didn't use, prefering to use my industrial strength model, and some free Zero Friction tees, all for $10.30 (real money).

The Black Widows on my Etonics were worn to nubbins, which made removing the bitches a real ...... well, bitch. Had to pry them part of the way out with a screwdriver then twist/pull with pliers.

Then I cleaned all of the dirt, grass, and dried blood out of the Fast-Twist sockets before installing the new Scorpion Stingers. Three clicks and these babies are secure.

Wore them for 2 walking rounds this past weekend with good footing and no problems. And they appear to be sharp enough to leave a good impression on the backside of the next bozo who hits into me while I'm trying to putt.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I just swapped out my Scorpions. After a full season of walking (I rode twice this year), I needed to change one. One had wear on the indicator. No problem getting any of them out.

Gotta look good down in Texas, y'know.

Real money? Jackass....:D

R35

🔥 Latest posts