• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Spot bowling"

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Really been struggling with pulling my short irons. Wasted so many good drives when would pull a pitching wedge 5 yards left of the green... or further off track. Frustration setting in, went to the awesome teacher... the internet! :>) Read a tip talking about picking a spot a few feet in front of the ball as your target line. Concentrate on that spot and extend your club out towards that spot.

Yesterday, I put this into play. Really difficult to "erase" the pin from you mind and just think about getting the club out over/towards that spot between the ball and the pin. Isn't that what many bowlers do? Isn't that what those little 'arrows' on the lane are for? Don't good bowlers start the ball out over a "spot" rather than just rolling it towards the pins?

It worked. I believe I only pulled one short iron all day. Not easy to break the old habit of looking at the pin and swinging with only the pin location in mind. Not easy to move your focus to that spot of grass, dirt, leaf, etc. Will be trying again today and see if the "magic" holds.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
This is the approach to how I hit all of my shots. I think it's a great way to hit golf shots.

Stand behind the ball, on my target line, then pick a spot in front of the ball on that target line. I look at that spot as I walk up to the ball, set up the club aiming at that spot, take my stance, and attempt to hit the ball over that spot.

As a youth bowling coach, yes, the arrows on the lane are for aiming. They're placed every five boards, starting 5 boards from the edge. Most good bowlers can't just throw the ball at the pins because to achieve the proper angle into the pin deck, the bowler must actually start the ball on a line that will typically go into the gutter if not for the spin of the ball.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Really been struggling with pulling my short irons. Wasted so many good drives when would pull a pitching wedge 5 yards left of the green... or further off track. Frustration setting in, went to the awesome teacher... the internet! :>) Read a tip talking about picking a spot a few feet in front of the ball as your target line. Concentrate on that spot and extend your club out towards that spot.
I do that with putting... never thought of doing that with irons, but it makes sense.

one_chip_short

Misplaced Texan
Supporting Member
Feb 15, 2017
Glendale, Az
Country
I pick a spot in front of the ball ... I believe Jack Nicklaus did the same.

On a side note when I start hitting left, it means I am keeping the club closed on take away. I believe it should be at the same angle as your spine or more open (I'm sure that made no sense, and it didn't to me, until my instructor showed it to me on video)

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
... until my instructor showed it to me on video)
Never had a lesson. Totally self-taught. Took up this Game at the young age of 45. My swing is a blend of Raymond Floyd, Jim Furyk, and Charles Barkley. I fear giving a golf instructor a stroke/heart attack if they were to be asked to fix this swing!!! :>) The first time I'm in a group with someone new, they will laugh/giggle/make fun of my swing. I'm used to it, understanding that it is far from "conventional".

OTOH, the Good Lord only put a certain number of swings in each of our bodies. We have no idea what that number is up and we will never again swing a club. So, why waste swings on a range, with practice swings, or with a golf instructor. Use the swings left playing this Great Game!!!!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
The "find a spot" worked well again today. Hitting these irons the best since I've had them. "Stuck" a number of short irons, leaving birdie putts. Now... if I could only putt!!!!!!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
This is the approach to how I hit all of my shots. I think it's a great way to hit golf shots.

Stand behind the ball, on my target line, then pick a spot in front of the ball on that target line. I look at that spot as I walk up to the ball, set up the club aiming at that spot, take my stance, and attempt to hit the ball over that spot.

^this^

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.