• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

SQUARE TWO OR ZEVO ANYONE?

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
My 13 year old daughter decided she wants to play school golf this year. She has outgrown her junior set, so we went club shopping last night. Because I have no idea how long this will last, I'm not looking to go top notch, but a decent enough set that she can play well. One of the definite qualifiers is a titanium driver, and at least one hybrid.
The guy at Golf Usa Highly recommended a box set called Finesse, by Square Two, who apparently was just purchased by Adams Golf. The guy at Golfsmith recommended their house brand, Zevo. Both sets have 3 woods, 2 hybrids, 7-pw, a putter and a bag. I'm guessing the quality of the 2 is very similar, as they both go for $299.
Is anyone familliar with these sets?
Does anybody have any other suggestions?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Did she hit them?

Go have her hit them, see what they're like. If she likes one over the other, go with it.

Like you said, it won't be for a long period of time. In 2 years, she'll need to upgrade anyways. Maybe sooner.

R35

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
the square two stuff used to be decent I think but it's been about 10 yrs ago since the last time I've seen anyone with it

If she's going to play be growing and playing competitively it might not hurt to find a local clubmaker that can build her clubs that fit now and can be adjusted later

bag makeup is important, and if her swingspeed is like many 13yo girls, she'll struggle with a low lofted driver and the 3 wood off the deck - getting lofts and clubs to match her game can't hurt her
good luck

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
US Kids makes jr. clubs up to 13 or 14 years old. Check them out online and see if she's too tall for them. I'm fixing to get my 13 yr old son a set, and at 4'11 he's in the 2nd to largest set.

Check their advanced clubs.

OP
What'saScore

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
She is already a little over 5'2", so she needs to go with a full sized womens set.

RICKINMA Thank you for bringing up the loft subject. I did some quick online research and found the following info

Square Two Zevo
Driver 15* 12.5*
3 wood 18* 17*
5 wood 24* n/a
5h 26* 25*
6h 31* na

I am now leaning toward the Square Two set. Also going to go back to Golfsmith and have her swing a few, then check with the Golf USA guy and see if he will let me take them to the dome and hit a bucket.

Thanks for the feedback

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
What matters is the weight at her age, to heavy and she won't swing them, go and see first. Length can be adjusted easily enoguh, weight can't.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
How about some daddy/daughter time...

Golfsmith.com: Snake Eyes Viper Womens TI Driver Head - Snake eyes - 15* $100
- shaft - Snake Eyes Golf Shafts: Viper W Wood Shaft - $30
Golfsmith.com: Snake Eyes Viper Womens Steel Fairway Head - Snake eyes - 5W/7W 2x$36=$72
Golfsmith.com: Snake Eyes Viper Womens Hybrid Head - Snake eyes - 5h $30
- shafts - Aldila Golf Shafts: Value Series VL Wood Shaft - 3x$13=$39
http://www.golfsmith.com/products/SE2806 - 6,8,SW 3x$6=$18
or
Golfsmith.com: Snake Eyes Viper Womens Iron Head - Snake eyes - 6,8,SW 3x$13=$39
- shafts - True Temper Golf Shafts: TT Lite Unitized Iron Shaft - 3x$8=24

grips - Golfsmith.com: Medallist Medallist Pink/Black Grip - Medallist - 7x$2=$14
total - $327-348

time spent with daughter building them and the pride she'll feel knowing that she built her own clubs = priceless

This is a bit more than the boxed sets and there is also some additional expenses with grip tape/solvent/misc tools but I wanted to at least throw the idea out there. Two summers ago I built up a set for/with my son and it was amazing. Not only was it great to build the set with him but everytime we went out with folks to hit balls, the pride in his face as he told him that he built them himself was awesome.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
I did some quick online research and found the following info

Square Two Zevo
Driver 15* 12.5*
3 wood 18* 17*
5 wood 24* n/a
5h 26* 25*
6h 31* na

The lofts in the square two set make sense to me. the Zevo gap between 17* and 25* seems like a big one. the 15* driver is probably best unless her swing speed is up near 90mph

It's probably a good idea to get her swingspeed checked at any of these stores

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
New golfer daughter. I would look for something extremely forgiving to start out. Even if it is not a complete set I would look for hybrid set right down to PW. A 3 wood, hybrids matching 5 iron down to PW, a sand wedge and putter. 9 clubs. They DO NOT have to be matching set. Match the hybrid only. Getting the proper trajectory is problematic for new golfers especially if strength is an issue. Forgiving is the Mantra. Look to JMAX Tour Edge Bazooka for good deal and quality here. Used can be had for cheap.

OP
What'saScore

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
Looks like we are going to go with the Square Two set. She swung the zevos at Golfsmith and didn't like the 460 square head driver one bit the rest of the clubs were pretty good. Took the Square Two set to the dome and she liked those a whole lot better. The driver is a 440, traditional design. For her league, I really don't thing that
20cc makes a bit of difference. She didn't feel any difference at all between the hybrids and irons. So the final decision is being made on the way she likes one driver over the other.

Thanks everyone for the input.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
good stuff - now she just has to get out there and start beating the boys

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
That's great. Like always, it comes down to how the club looks at address!

OP
What'saScore

What'saScore

I need an eraser
Feb 5, 2006
DEWEY
Thanks for the link. It looks like a great deal. But I already scored a great one. My daughter found a set of the square twos on E-Bay that was going pretty cheap. I ended up getting it for $135.00 including freight.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
If you want top quality at a budget price its hard to go past powerbilt. NOt sure what their ladies range is like but generally they are super clubs for the money.

🔥 Latest posts