• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Squeezed out a bird for the Christmas table.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Frequent visitors to this forum know about my passion for Turkeys. :D

I play an unusual game with my father-in-law each year, to see who is first to win a turkey for the Christmas table. The turkey season begins in mid-October and there are opportunities to win fowl each Saturday in the run up to Christmas. There are usually 3-4 birds on offer each competition depending on number of entrants (usually about 75-100). We play over 16 holes so 32 points means planning to your 'cap. Generally you need 35/36 to have a chance of winning one.

Last Saturday I had a disastrous start. A thin, a duff and a shank, meant I had scored a lowly 2 points after 3 holes. I was resigning myself to the "also rans". But then things picked up. Despite a few more bogeys, I managed to find 5 birdies in the remaining 13 holes, including 3 out of the last 4, to blaze round in 34 points. I caught the hole from 8ft on 16, otherwise I would have creamed the last 4!! Standing over my putt on 16 (my last) I said to my playing partners that this was a turkey putt. I hit a great putt (maybe a little firm) so I was gutted when I missed, thinking I had lost out on a bird.

My FiL had 35 points which rubbed salt into the wounds. But I found out last night that my 34 points was good enough (I had 21 points on the back 8!!) for the last turkey on offer.

So effectively we tied and honors are even, even though he claims his score on the day was better!! So there will food on the table this Christmas. :D

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Very nice!

you guys seen that web based game that PITA put out called "Momma kills animals" or something like that??? Rediculous...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Frequent visitors to this forum know about my passion for Turkeys. :D

So effectively we tied and honors are even, even though he claims his score on the day was better!! So there will food on the table this Christmas. :D
"I'll send that turkey to Bon Cratchit's! He shan't know who sends it. It's twice the size of Tiny Tim. Joe Miller never made such a joke as sending it to Bob's will be!"

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
My FiL had 35 points which rubbed salt into the wounds. But I found out last night that my 34 points was good enough (I had 21 points on the back 8!!) for the last turkey on offer.

So effectively we tied and honors are even, even though he claims his score on the day was better!! So there will food on the table this Christmas. :D....

If da shoe was on the other foot IG, I wouldn't sasy you'd be as magnamimous :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Really real men make body paint out of natural stones and their own urine, camo themselves up, grab a turkey by neck and bite its head off....

I mean...thats how i do it anyway ;)

See, guns are virtually useless. :laugh:

R35

🔥 Latest posts