• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Squishy golf ball review

retexan599

Apr 20, 2009
I have started playing these: Nike Power Distance Soft (green box). Heretofore I have been playing whatever came out of the miscellaneous recycle bags from Wal-Mart. I now like playing the same ball time after time and am hoping it is a positive thing for my results. It is interesting to do the 'drop-the-ball-on-the-garage-floor" test with various balls and listen to the sound that are made. The Nike PD Soft are noticeably softer in sound vs. the typical ones I used. Always learning.....

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm buying used premium balls (Cally Tour i and tour ix. I can't find a lower priced ball that goes as far and feels as good. The HX Hot Bite is the best I've tried. All the other balls listed here I hated. :(

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
The HX Hot bite is a nice ball, but your paying around $27 a dozen, which is on the top end of what I'd put them anyways. The cover lasts literally a round sometimes depending on your course.

I like to get the cart path carry yardage tacked on for good measure, and I sometimes hit every bunker on the course. With hard wedges, and cart path bounces, a HX Hot Bite will last me a good 9 holes before it goes to the shag bag.

The e5+ is a nice ball. Bridgestone makes good stuff, all the way around.

Check out the AD333 from Srixon, too.

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Quick update - I've gone through all suggested above, and the SoLo is still my ball. I e-bayed up a sh*tload of them and will worry about it next year.

But in the interest of being fair, Bridgestone TreoSoft gets my vote as 2nd place.

If anyone wants to try a couple, let me know we can swap a few from my reject pile & see what's up. LMK.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I played the PD Soft yesterday, and holy crap does that thing not stop :wow:

I played it a bit in the winter months and didn't notice, because nothing really stops when the grass is dead. I was blown away in the 95° weather at how great this ball performed - felt fantastic, flew forever, excellent launch (I've never been a high ball hitter,) but then when it hit the green it was almost like the damn thing sped up. I was intentionally landing shots short of the green so they'd hit some thicker grass to take some speed off. I liked them so much everywhere else that I'm going to try again and see if I can get the swing of it. I was holding the greens pretty decent toward the end of the round, maybe I just need to get used to them.

three puttz

Mar 30, 2009
Quick update - I've gone through all suggested above, and the SoLo is still my ball. I e-bayed up a sh*tload of them and will worry about it next year.

But in the interest of being fair, Bridgestone TreoSoft gets my vote as 2nd place.

If anyone wants to try a couple, let me know we can swap a few from my reject pile & see what's up. LMK.

My favorite 2 piece ball as of this moment is the Cally Diablo

Only mentioning this because you and I seem to agree on the Treosofts...

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I'm hooked on the Cally IX's.. That ball just takes off, and I can them to bite and check with even the softest wedge or chip.

Played one for 16 holes, and it had around 9 on it, before I hit a cart path and it bounced into golf ball hell.. The ball did indeed look like it needed to be retired.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
+1 on the Diablo. It is one of the few 2 piece balls I like. of course, I have you by about 20mph on SS, so what I use is of no use to you. But that Diablo is pretty long.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
According to Lostgolfballs, there are mint used SoLos to be had for CHEAP.

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
According to Lostgolfballs, there are mint used SoLos to be had for CHEAP.

That's my source, but for a cheap bastid like me, $11 a dozen is expensive. My last batch was 0.78 each, shipped. and I thought that was too much.

Doc just sent me a stash of them anyway, so I'm all set.:)

Thanks Julian.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Wilson 50/50 took off like a knuckleball for me.

Hate the Laddie X's.

Just bought 10 dozen AAAA Wilson Ultras from lostgolfballs for $29.50 + $10 shipping. sssmokin got me hitting the Ultra when I played up north with him and it's a good ball no matter what these other guys say. I used to play it and now I remember why. And it's not hard either.... :D

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I bought a bag of recycled Callaway balls from Canadian Tire yesterday $20 for 48 balls, so I figured I'd give them a try. I havn't yet got to play a round with any of them but I noticed a few VERY soft feeling balls in the bag and was wondering if anyone has tried Callaway Rule 35, and CTU 30 There are also some HX-Blue and HX-Red.

There are also some balls that seem harder and I guess cheaper. Like 10 warbirds which feel very hard, 5 big berthas, 6 HX-Hot.

I'll let ya's know what I think of some of them later.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
I really liked the HX-Hot Bite around the greens. I played a round of best ball with my wife (+5). I was getting balls to stop with well hit wedge approaches, it felt very nice chipping and had a little check to it. Unfortunatly I hit some bad drives and lost them both about half way through the round. I'd like to find some of these for cheap sometime.

The callaway HX-Blue, was a decent performing ball aswell, a few yards shorter I think then the HX-Hot bite. But performed well, and felt easy to control and soft.

I also tried out a Bridgestone B-330RX and I found they fly very high with my driver so I would get ZERO roll (1ft back, but very wet conditions), they didn't feel soft to hit off the face of the club like the HX-Blue, and I didn't enjoy how high they were going. It also didn't spin around the greens as much as the HX-Blue. Just an average ball :(.

On the last hole, I tried out one of those twilight blinking balls. Its kinda cool to see it flash, but it really didn't fly very well at all.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
You can get 2 dozen new Hot Bites for the $45 at most retailers right now. It's a good ball, and long too. Just doesn't last cover-wise very long.

🔥 Latest posts