• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Srixon WG-504 review

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I have been through way too many Gap Wedges in my life. I'm sure I'll go through many more, but let me talk about my newest.

The Srixon WG-504. I actually bought this club a few months ago, and played around with it for a while. I was playing with a CG10 at the time and liked it better than the 900-series I played prior to that. The Srixon club didn't really do it for me at the time, so in the closet it went.

Well, I've been practicing my short game a lot lately, and pulled the Srixon out to give it another go. To be short, I have fallen in love with this club. It has a low swingweight of D-2, and 8-degrees of bounce. I did some extensive testing with other 52-degree wedges I own (the Srixon, as well as an Adams Puglielli, and the two Clevelands), and found that:

1. I just can't hit the Puglielli wedge consistently. It feels like a scalpel in the hands of a meat-cutter.
2. The Cleveland 900 series wedge felt dead and will not be re-visited.
3. I think the CG10 is a good club. Still best from 100 yards. Just not as much feel from 30 yards and in, where I need it the most.
4. The WG-504, with its lighter swing-weight and versatile sole grind seems to work much better on the shorter chips and pitches that give me such fits.

In terms of feel, the Srixon has it all over the CG10. CMM may be good stuff, but there's nothing like a good carbon steel forging (like the WG-504)

I find no perceivable drag or "catchiness" when I open the clubface for a lofted pitch. My distance control seems very intuitive with this club, and it works well from all kinds of lies.

I like the gun-metal black finish.

All in all, I think this club is worth checking out, as long as you like a wedge with a lower swing-weight. Titleist Vokey, with its very high swing-weight, it ain't.

I just bought the SW and LW to match. I'll let you know how they work out.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Well, I've had a chance to take the 56 and 60 out for a spin. The 56 is an absolute gem. It is the most automatic club I've ever hit, bar none. I don't use it from the fairway, but out of bunkers and thick spots it acts like an extension of my will. Srixon chose to make it a D-5 swingweight, with the 52 and 60 being D-2. I like the lighter swingweight in the gap wedge. But the heavier 56 is just magic.

You should buy this sand wedge if you want to try something new.

I'm not yet sold on the 60. I haven't really used it enough to say that it's better than my current lob wedge. I'm going to take a couple of 60's (including the WG-504) out to the range for a shootout.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.