• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

stack and tilt

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Tried it for the first time tonight at the range, i have been playing a draw shot the last couple of months and can no longer fade the ball so i am trying something different. Felt really good and controlled the ball very well and hit a nice fade, my miss seemed to be a straight shot but i never once hit a draw. It seemed like the driver was a little inconsistent with anywhere from a small fade to a big fade that was border line slices, the only downside i have noticed is that my back is a little sore on the way home and i was taking deeped divots than normal. Is this swing type hard on the back????

RoughedgesMR

Jul 14, 2008
Tried it for the first time tonight at the range, i have been playing a draw shot the last couple of months and can no longer fade the ball so i am trying something different. Felt really good and controlled the ball very well and hit a nice fade, my miss seemed to be a straight shot but i never once hit a draw. It seemed like the driver was a little inconsistent with anywhere from a small fade to a big fade that was border line slices, the only downside i have noticed is that my back is a little sore on the way home and i was taking deeped divots than normal. Is this swing type hard on the back????

are you sure your not dropping your back shoulder now?

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
I get an email newsletter from one of the Golf Digest top 100 teachers in the USA. A recent issue claimed that, of the players they track, that have converted to the "Stack and Tilt" only one player has improved their ball striking statistics. Of course I should add, the academy that this teacher runs does not normally teach the "Stack and Tilt." They do mention that someone who moves off the ball too much might benefit from some ideas in the S&T. I have no personal opinion about the stacked concept other than I don't do it, don't know how to do it, and when I have tried to do it, I hit it much shorter.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Ive noticed no real change in distance with the S&T swing (well, from my distance when i was playing better a few months ago). I am hitting it a lot more consistently now that im getting used to it, and still feel a huge amount of room for improvement, so I think I can pickup a few extra yards from it.

Be careful what your calling S&T though, just becuz your not moving around as much doesnt mean 1- your not actually moving; 2- that your stacking correctly; or 3- that your staying in the proper positions. Its actually a lot more elaborate than I thought originally, and love the changes personally, its making things a lot simpler for me, and im hitting some of the straightest shots ive ever hit, like bombs on a rope.

The one thing im having trouble with at the moment is controlling which way the ball is going, but that will hopefully come easier with a little more familiarity with the new swing since i've only been working on the change for about a month now.

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I am doing what i think is a stack and tilt so it may not be the correct way but i will give it a few weeks anyway, i was inconsistent playing a draw and i am just looking to get my consistency back. I played a fade my whole life and then started to play a draw and my scores were all over the place. I have always been very consitent on scoring and always shoot between even and 5 over, very rarely shoot under par because i never make putts and very rarely shoot over 5, about twice a month and play 3-5 times a week.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
It's important that when you go o the S?T that you FLATTEN out your swing path....then you will see a nice draw and very solid contact.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
It's important that when you go o the S?T that you FLATTEN out your swing path....then you will see a nice draw and very solid contact.

Heh, I switched to the stack and tilt and can't hit a fade to save my life. :)

So, I've made some adjustments to my swing over the last several months. None of the adjustments were based on the S&T theory (mainly because I'm not at all familiar with the details) but the end result has me staying more centered throughout my swing.

My primary thought is to turn into my, pinched in, right knee and keep the weight on the inside of my back foot. I use to really struggle with swaying and getting the weight outside the back foot and this adjustment has reduced the number of fat shots I hit to just one or two a round/range session (still working on maintaining the wrist hinge).

From an on lookers perspective it appears that I'm just turning in place but in reality there is a good deal of weight shift going on. I wouldn't say I've picked up a ton of distance but I have gained a little simply because I'm striking the ball more consistantly and solid. I've also developed a nice gentle draw as my "normal" shot (even with driver). I'm still missing a ton of greens but it is now primarily due to direction and not necessarily distance (my misses are ending up pin high more times than not).

In any case I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doign as the results are speaking for themselves right now; I'm a combined +16 for my last two rounds (playing off a 13 cap, well, 11.5 now).

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
So, I've made some adjustments to my swing over the last several months. None of the adjustments were based on the S&T theory (mainly because I'm not at all familiar with the details) but the end result has me staying more centered throughout my swing.

My primary thought is to turn into my, pinched in, right knee and keep the weight on the inside of my back foot. I use to really struggle with swaying and getting the weight outside the back foot and this adjustment has reduced the number of fat shots I hit to just one or two a round/range session (still working on maintaining the wrist hinge).

From an on lookers perspective it appears that I'm just turning in place but in reality there is a good deal of weight shift going on. I wouldn't say I've picked up a ton of distance but I have gained a little simply because I'm striking the ball more consistantly and solid. I've also developed a nice gentle draw as my "normal" shot (even with driver). I'm still missing a ton of greens but it is now primarily due to direction and not necessarily distance (my misses are ending up pin high more times than not).

In any case I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doign as the results are speaking for themselves right now; I'm a combined +16 for my last two rounds (playing off a 13 cap, well, 11.5 now).

The next revision will put my handicap lower than it's ever been, so I have to say the switch has paid dividends for me. I don't mind being a right to left player - I'm hitting alot more solid shots now, and I've picked up some distance. My biggest issue lately has been controlling it. I've missed a ton of shots long in my last few rounds because I didn't think I could get there with less club. Just need to start trusting it I guess.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
The next revision will put my handicap lower than it's ever been, so I have to say the switch has paid dividends for me. I don't mind being a right to left player - I'm hitting alot more solid shots now, and I've picked up some distance. My biggest issue lately has been controlling it. I've missed a ton of shots long in my last few rounds because I didn't think I could get there with less club. Just need to start trusting it I guess.

Ditto on that.

Besides that though, my old misses fat/slice have been replaced by thin/hook. I seem to be more comfortable setting up for a draw than I ever was for a fade so my misses are a lot more playable these days. Also, a thin shot loses little distance and so they are far less penal than a fat shot.

In an effort to actually answer the keith's question, if I have indeed morphed into a S&T type swing, it does not hurt my back at all.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Does anyone know how much the actual S&T package is if you buy it? I'm more curious than anything, not likely I'll buy it. I'm just wondering after the "$19.95 risk free for 30 days" how many more payments they ask for. I looked on their site and can't find the full price. It seems like they'd have to tell you that somewhere.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
Does anyone know how much the actual S&T package is if you buy it? I'm more curious than anything, not likely I'll buy it. I'm just wondering after the "$19.95 risk free for 30 days" how many more payments they ask for. I looked on their site and can't find the full price. It seems like they'd have to tell you that somewhere.

I bought the DVD package. It's $100.

OP
keithpbz

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
Took it to the course today and shot a 2 over 74, 6700 yards 72.3 rating and hit 6 fairways and 17 greens, but only made 1 birdie putt and it was the only putt i had that i made outside 4 feet. Had alot of tap in pars after a 15 foot putt missed, driver was the only club that was a little off with the stack and tilt, i really need to learn how to putt had 37 putts with 2 three putts!

🔥 Latest posts